For the information of anyone still reading, we haven't reached the halfway point yet.

Nan

The Crystal Demon: 13/?
by Nancy Smith and Linda Garrick

The "Tin Soldier" came out of hyperspace in the Bethera system just beyond the orbit of the fourth planet. "Normal space," the pilot announced. The scanner officer chimed in on the heels of the report with his own.

"Lots of meteoric activity around. It's going to be difficult to spot ships."

"Tune in the Patrol frequencies," Kaley ordered. "Monitor them every minute and move in with caution."

"Aye sir." The pilot glanced sideways at the ship's Captain, Major Norma Grant who had taken over for her subordinate. Grant was studying the main screen readout.

The light cruiser responded and Kaley resisted the urge to bite his nails. It wouldn't be a bit reassuring to the crew to see the guy in charge showing signs of tension, he reflected, but this situation was rapidly becoming more than an exercise in damage control. Between the globe, the Base Commander's daughter, and the peculiar political situation of Westover and Linley in their organization, it was mandatory that he make every effort to show that the Underground kept faith with its psychics. He'd known he was skating on thin ice when he'd sent Linley without Westover, but he'd had Linley's backing and had believed that protecting Westover was his best course of action. The Skelzir globe was an unknown and dangerous quantity that could conceivably harm the Underground's best psychic. Perhaps, he thought, a re-evaluation of that policy might be in order. It wasn't as if Westover hadn't proven repeatedly, and sometimes with emphasis, that he was more than capable of handling dangerous situations with efficiency and common sense. Perhaps overprotecting the young man had been a mistake. He would have to think this over more carefully later -- assuming that they managed to find him.

Eric Vogleman was seated in the spot reserved for the control room psychic. Vogleman couldn't possibly know the actual circumstances, but he was an extremely gifted psychic and no doubt had a pretty good idea. To his credit he hadn't said anything -- probably waiting for things to play out before deciding what to do. He was loyal to Terra, after all, and it wouldn't be good for Terra for the Underground to undergo another disruption of the sort it had weathered a year ago, but his manner had been stiff and formal to Kaley ever since Alan's flight had been discovered.

His partner, young Ruthy Channing, was seated next to him. The two psychics were watching the viewscreen and Kaley could guess that they were alert for trouble. They were in enemy territory now, and it was reasonable to think that the Patrol might be giving Kasal more attention than usual at the present time.

The planet swelled in the viewscreens from a spot of light to a misty green and blue sphere, girdled by the glittering frost of a magnificent set of rings. Both moons were visible, each as large in relation to Kasal as Luna to Earth. It was a spectacular sight. If he hadn't been so worried, he would have enjoyed the view.

"General, I'm getting a warning," Eric announced suddenly.

"So am I!" Ruthy chimed in.

An alarm went off.

"Another ship!" the scanner officer said. "Looks like a battlecruiser. He's spotted us. Holy smoke! Here comes a Jil yacht! He's staying back out of range."

"Identification?" Kaley demanded.

"The 'Javelin', sir. The yacht is the "Firebird"."

"That's Halthzor's yacht," someone said.

"Then he's here," Eric said.

The presence of the Viceroy's cousin underlined the importance of the situation to Kaley. It also tended to indicate that Westover and Linley had not been captured. Yet, anyway.

"I'm picking up another battlecruiser," the scanner officer said. "It's a ways off, but it'll be here within five minutes."

"Retreat," Kaley ordered.

The com was chattering, and someone was ordering them to lay to and prepare for boarding. Kaley remained still as the "Tin Soldier" was taken into hyperspace to emerge again just past the orbit of the fourth planet.

"We've lost them," Major Grant said. "Orders, sir?"

"Monitor the hyperspace frequencies," he said. "And send a message to Lavirra to notify us if Westover and Linley should by some miracle return to base. We'll wait for the present. Call the nearest base and request a couple of ships for backup, just in case. There's little else we can do until we have a better grasp of the situation, and until those cruisers go. Knowing the ingenuity of Colonel Westover and Major Linley, it's possible they may find transport off the planet by themselves. If so, we'll be able to provide cover for them, if necessary."

There was a silence, then Eric sighed. "I guess that's all we can do for now," he conceded reluctantly, then swore under his breath. Kaley pretended not to hear.

XII

Alan finished his late breakfast and stood up. The natives backed away, watching him in silence. He cleared his throat uneasily. "Miki?"

Miki appeared through the crowd. "I am here, Alan."

"We'd better get going."

Miki inclined his head and turned to his Chief, piping shrilly. The chief spoke to the crowd, which turned and vanished into the trees, leaving behind Mike, the Chief and a small, red-haired Shirva.

Miki glared at the stranger and spoke harshly. The other hung his head and did not reply. To Alan's surprise, the Chief did not join the disagreement. Miki barked what sounded like an order and stamped his foot in an oddly human gesture. It was clear to Alan that he was commanding the other Shirva to leave, but the order was not obeyed. Instead, the stranger spoke softly and then tried to put a hand on Miki's shoulder. Miki shook him off and again stamped his foot, motioning him away. The other turned, his head hanging, and disappeared into the shrubbery.

Alan watched the scene with interest, feeling pity for the red-haired Shirva and anger toward Miki, but as the former departed that anger died, for Alan saw that Miki appeared suddenly very sad and for a moment he was almost sure he saw tears in the little native's eyes. The Chief came up beside him and spoke softly. Miki replied, his tone dull with unhappiness.

Mark bent to speak quietly to Alan. "What the devil was that all about? Could you follow it?"

Alan shrugged. "I think the other Shirva wanted to go along, but Miki wouldn't let him."

"Holy hell! We don't need another native along!"

"I know. Miki refused, but I get the impression that it hurt him to do it. He wasn't half as angry as he looked."

"I figured that out myself, and I ain't an empath. Why did Mik say no?"

"I think he was worried about his friend," Alan said.

Mark glanced at Miki's bowed shoulders. "Poor Mik. I get the feelin' he's sorta accepted this as a suicide mission or somethin'. Hell, he might be right."

The Chief and Miki separated and Miki turned back toward them, smiling bravely. *I am ready, Alan,* his voice said in Alan's mind.

"Then let's go." Alan glanced at Mark and Julia. "He's ready."

Mark shouldered his pack. "Okay, we're off."

"Don't advertise it," Julia said.

They started toward the east again, walking slowly to accommodate the short legs of their new companion, but Alan soon realized that no such consideration was necessary. Miki bounced along beside him like an agile little monkey, keeping up with his larger companions without difficulty. They traveled steadily for about six hours. Then clouds began to gather to the northeast and thunder rumbled threateningly. They had made good time, and Alan estimated that they would reach the Patrol outpost in perhaps three more days if nothing interfered.

Miki swung to a stop beside one of the tiny bubbling streams that were so numerous in the forest. Alan dropped wearily beside a large tree, rubbing his feet tenderly. The burns were healing well, but they still throbbed with so much exercise. With a sigh, he leaned back against the tree trunk, concentrating. All day he had been attempting to contact Lyn Parnell, without success. She must have her shields up, he kept telling himself, but he wasn't sure. It was also possible that she had been captured by a Patrol search party or maybe killed by the natives.

He hadn't mentioned his fears to Mark or Julia. Julia would only remind him of Lyn's sympathies -- a traitor to her own kind, and a fool into the bargain -- and Mark would undoubtedly rib him for his feelings about her. Never before had he felt so sensitive on a subject where Mark was concerned. He thought it was possible that Miki had been aware of his efforts to contact her, but the Shirva had said nothing.

There was a faint rustling in the trees overhead and he opened his eyes, looking up. A face appeared between the branches and a moment later the Shirva band was materializing from the underbrush. Holy heck! The whole bunch must have been following them all day, and he had never once been aware of it.

But Miki apparently had. He looked up from his seat on the ground without surprise and smiled brightly. Mark swore softly.

"Halthzor's hangnails! Why didn't you tell us they was followin' us?"

"I didn't know! I didn't sense them. Their shielding's too good. I bet I couldn't go through it if I tried, even if you helped me."

"Better not try. It might be taken personal." Mark grinned down at the two little fellows who were ushering him toward a flat piece of ground. Two more of them had Alan by the arms, and a tiny female placed a woven, colorful mat on the ground for him. He seated himself, smiling, and found a flask of some of the Shirva wine in his hands. These little folks were sure trying to make their good will known, he thought, and yet their attitude bothered him. There was a feeling of reserve and uncertainty about them, as well as sadness and despair.

A platter of meat and small, cut up vegetables was placed before him. He checked it quickly with the taster, then fell to hungrily. The wind increased, and drops of rain flicked through the air around him. In the center of the clearing, several of the natives were busy erecting a shelter for the honored guests. Two more were piling wood beside it. The rain thickened into a fine mist.

Miki, first son of Janka, only Rassa remaining to the Vakanee tribe, stood beside his Chief, acutely aware of all that went on. His Chief had instructed him to watch carefully, and to be sure the Terrans were not annoyed by the Shirva. They did not trust the newcomers, of course. It would be foolish to trust someone who offered miracles without explanation and requested nothing in return. None the less, the orders remained. The Terrans might be, and probably were, concealing some motive, but at the moment they were the only hope their people had. They must not be offended in any way, upon pain of death. All the members of the tribe had been instructed to treat the huge aliens with great deference, and by no means relax their shields even for an instant. If the Terran Rassa realized they did not trust him, he would be insulted, and the aid, suspect that it was, would surely be withdrawn.

But still, he must watch carefully. The Shirva were impulsive, brave and desperate. There was no telling what might happen if one of them relaxed his control -- particularly the women.

He watched, scanning the alien's aura. Julia and Mark appeared to be at ease and he could sense Mark's emotional vibrations easily through those thin shields of his. The two were eating the food provided with relish. Alan was also eating, but not as if he enjoyed it. His attention was on the small female, Treena, third wife of the Chief's son, whose last child had died only two moons ago. Treena was kneeling before the Rassa, removing the too-small foot-coverings that she had provided earlier and replacing them with others made to fit the much larger feet of the Terran. Miki frowned, recalling Alan's earlier reaction to the female. Perhaps -- but no, Alan was smiling at her and, as she finished tying the laces, Miki saw the Rassa lean forward, resting a gentle hand on her head. Treena's face came up at the unexpected caress which, of course, no Shirva male would extend to any female other than his first wife. These Terrans seemed to be unnecessarily gentle with their women at times, he thought -- at least Alan seemed so. Silly too. Mark, who loved Julia, treated her quite harshly, while Alan, who felt only friendship and mild desire for her, was the one who comforted her and treated her kindly, often touching her as he now touched Treena, in a gentle and respectful manner.

Sudden alarm shot through him then, for Treena was moving, reaching for Alan in an impulsive, totally disrespectful manner. She leaped, landing on his bent legs, her toes gripping the material of his breeches tightly. Her hands caught his tunic convulsively, and she began to chatter rapidly, at the same instant throwing a frightened glance over her shoulder. Miki shouted a warning to his chief and leaped forward. The Chief moved with him.

Treena saw them and cringed away, releasing Alan in the same motion. Miki reached for her and grabbed her wrist, shaking her furiously, while her husband and father also converged on the scene, their expressions angry and ashamed.

But Alan was placing an arm about the erring girl and removing Miki's hand from her wrist with inexorable strength. Miki gave way at once, surprised and suddenly apprehensive. Perhaps he, himself, had offended. Perhaps Terran custom permitted the girl's action and somehow Alan had communicated the fact to her.

Alan was fending off the reaching hands of the girl's husband and father. The two moved quickly back at a word from Miki. Alan's telepathic voice spoke in Miki's mind. *Leave her alone. She wants to tell me something, and I want to listen.*

The communication carried angry overtones and Miki retreated still further, the others with him. Treena cast a fearful look in their direction and met the glowering gaze of her husband. She shuddered, lowering her eyes.

Alan spoke unintelligibly for a moment to the girl, Miki only catching a word or two, but to his astonishment, Treena seemed to understand. Her eyes strayed to Alan's face and she bent her head, speaking in a whisper.

"Is it true, Alan, what you say? Will you save us all and take no payment?"

"Be still!" the Chief snapped sharply. "Foolish woman! Hold your tongue before I cut it from your head!"

Miki seized his arm. "Stop, please, my Chief!"

Alan had clearly understood a good deal of Treena's question, as well as the remarks of the Chief and Miki. He lifted Treena to his knees again. Mark and Julia were also watching, Miki realized in despair. This was it, then. They were lost, their one chance for survival destroyed by this idiot female. If only he had watched more closely! His Chief was sure to blame him.

Alan was speaking gently to Treena, and Miki caught some of it. He was telling her to lower her shields. Miki's breath caught. If she understood and obeyed, Alan would know the whole truth. How would the Terran Rassa respond to that? Not favorably, he was sure.

She understood, and in despair Miki felt her shields relaxing. Miki was not surprised, somehow. The Terran was certainly the most powerful Rassa he had ever encountered.

Alan was concentrating as he read Treena's unshielded mind. Miki didn't want to see her thoughts, but he must. There was no escaping it. There it was, all before him -- the distrust, the wild hope, and the Chief's orders to placate the Terrans at all costs -- hardly flattering for the Shirva, and guaranteed to anger any alien species.

"He is reading her mind!" he whispered to the Chief. "She has lowered her shields!"

The Chief moved convulsively. "He must not!"

"We cannot prevent it, my Chief. There is no way to --" He paused, swallowing hard. "The Terran knows all now. He will be angry."

The girl's husband made a growling sound. "I will kill her for this!"

No one commented. Alan removed his hand from Treena's face, but kept his other hand firmly on her shoulder. He turned to Miki. Mark said something, but Alan motioned him to silence.

*Miki,* the Terran's voice said in his mind.

Miki gulped. "*Yes, Alan?*

The Rassa lifted Treena from his knees. She shrank against him. Almost absently, Alan placed an arm around her, speaking gently. He was reassuring her, Miki realized. He must be angry, but apparently not at Treena. Perhaps Terrans did not become angry at women.

Again Alan's telepathic voice formed in his mind. *I understand now. Don't be afraid, Miki. I'm not angry, nor will we withdraw our help because of this. You didn't believe us and you don't trust us. I understand. Why should you? I didn't make our position clear enough. Treena was desperate enough and unhappy enough to show me the problem. You owe her a great deal.*

Miki found himself gaping at the Terran Rassa. What did he mean?

*We will help you,* Alan continued. *Your people and mine fight a common foe. If a Shirva village were being threatened by an enemy of yours, no matter how powerful, wouldn't you try to help?*

Miki hesitated, glancing sideways at his Chief, unsure how far to commit himself.

"What shall I do?" he asked. "He does not seem angry. He is grateful to Treena. I do not understand these Terrans at all, my Chief."

The Chief was silent for a moment and then voiced a little oath of resignation. "It does not matter now. See if you can discover the whole truth. Do not anger him, however. He is more difficult to anger than we suspected, but I am sure not impossible."

"I will try, my Chief." Miki turned back to the Terrans, reaching for Alan's mind and trying to make his address diffident. *Yes, Alan, sir, we would, but you are not Shirva. It is not natural .. not believable that you offer us such a wonderful gift as this and ask nothing in return.* He stopped, afraid he had said too much.

Alan's words formed again, and now the reassurance in them was a tangible thing, carrying warmth and truth. Could anyone with such an ability to give comfort as Alan actually be lying?

*It is true that we ask for nothing in return now, Miki. We don't need you, psychic or not. There are thousands of other psychics with your abilities where we live. Why, then, should we take you from your tribe when your people need you so desperately? But do not think that our Chief will ask for nothing forever. It is likely that the day will come when he will need your services and will expect you to give them, if you can. But not yet. First we must help your people to recover, to restore your health and your numbers. When you are well again, and your women are bearing children, we will talk about payment.* He paused, letting that sink in. *Our people are in a great war against the Jilectans, who seek to enslave us and any other people who are not Jilectan. There will come a time when we will ask you to join us in our fight.* Alan set Treena on the ground, reached out and took Miki's arms, drawing him to stand directly in front of him. His hands were incredibly powerful, yet gentle as well. He looked directly into Miki's eyes. *I am telling you the truth.* It was a simple statement. *I sense your hesitation because parts of my mind are shielded. That is to protect my own people and has nothing to do with you. You are our friends, and we will help you. Do you understand?*

And Miki found himself believing. For a moment he stared back into Alan's eyes feeling the fear and tension draining away. Alan's lips split in a very Shirva-like smile and Miki was unable to stop the smile that curled his own mouth. He inclined his head, feeling a choking sensation in his throat. *I believe you,* he managed.

*Good*. Alan's hands squeezed his shoulders very gently. *And about Treena -- I don't want her to suffer for what she did. She straightened out a lot of misunderstanding. Can you fix it with your Chief?*

Miki glanced at the girl. He had completely forgotten about her once she ceased to be his responsibility, but since she seemed to matter to Alan, Miki would see that his wishes were carried out. *Oh yes. She will not be. She is a fool, but one expects foolishness from women.*

To his surprise, Alan laughed. *Maybe someday you'll change your opinion on that subject,* he said. *But right now, I'd like to eat.*

*Oh, yes, Alan, yes!* The relief was incredible. Miki felt the impulse to laugh, to cry, to shout a song. He turned back to his people, unable to keep the smile from his lips as he spoke, the words bubbling from him like water from a spring. "It is true! It is all true! They will do as they say. Alan is not lying! We fight a common enemy, and perhaps someday when we are strong again, their leader will call upon us for help. Alan is good, my Chief! He is our friend! The gods have sent us deliverers at last!"

He turned back to Alan, flinging his arms around the Terran's neck. Alan gave a grunt of surprise, but received him willingly enough, one hand ruffling his hair. Julia and Mark were speaking, their deep voices curious and questioning. Alan spoke to them, then rose to his feet as the Chief approached, He held out gnarled old hands to Mark and Alan. "Friends," he said.

"Friends," Alan said in Miki's language.

The Chief's face relaxed into a smile.

Miki spoke quickly. "It is Alan's wish that Treena not suffer for what she did," he said quickly. His Chief nodded and shrugged. He made the sign that meant that a transgression had been forgiven, and Miki heard Treena give a small sob of relief.

tbc

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.