The Crystal Demon: 5/?
by Nancy Smith and Linda Garrick

"I'm worried," Mark said.

Alan had already sensed it. "What about?"

"This guy could be leadin' us into a trap."

"Parnell?"

"Yeah. C.O.s can be damn good actors. Comes with the territory. Suppose Dan ain't really dead?"

"He's dead," Alan said quietly. "I'm sure of it."

"Okay, he is. But maybe it wasn't the suicide device like Parnell claims. Maybe he died under interrogation like the other non-psychic they tried the thing on. Maybe they've got a Jil or two down there right now."

"I don't think so," Alan said.

"If Dan did die that way, then he might o' told 'em what they wanted first. We don't know nothin' about what it does to shieldin'."

Alan was silent, thinking. *Had* Parnell been lying? All his instincts denied it. He was nearly positive that the man had been telling the truth. "He wasn't lying. I would have known."

"Over a *communicator*?"

"I knew he was lying when he said everything was ready for the exchange."

"I could tell that without clairvoyance," Mark said.

Alan was silent and after a moment his partner shrugged. "Okay, I trust you, but I just wantcha to be prepared. 'Trols ain't often that attached to their kids, y'know. Not too many of 'em even get married. Parnell's the exception, an' his wife died quite a while back. Maybe he don't care nothin' about his kid."

Alan shook his head. "I think he does."

"Maybe. I sure hope you're right an' I'm wrong, but if I ain't, we're in big trouble. Dan knew about the Lavirra base, an' if his shields broke down ..." He let the sentence hang.

Alan grimaced. His partner was right. They mustn't take chances. "We'll tell Kaley as soon as we get back."

"Doubt if we'll need to," Mark said.

Alan nodded. "Normal space in five minutes."

"I'll put the base on alert," Kaley said. "And the other two bases Major Parkraft knew of." He tapped a button on his desk and spoke for a moment to his assistant. "We'll hope Colonel Westover's instincts are correct in this matter." He paused, his brow furrowed. "If Commander Parnell's statement is true that everyone who is interrogated with this globe talks, then the thing apparently has tremendous power over the Terran mind, both psychic and non. Philips has been examining the prisoner you rescued, Major Linley, and his report is disturbing." He pressed another button. "Doctor Philips, will you come to my office, please? And bring Tarfee with you."

"Yes, sir," Philips responded.

Kaley turned back to Alan and Mark. "Incidentally, Major Linley, a commendation is being placed in your official record for the extraordinary performance and presence of mind that you demonstrated in a very difficult situation. I'm referring, of course, to your rescue of the prisoner and subsequent abduction of the Base Commander's daughter. In spite of what must have been enormous temptation, you refrained from any attempt to rescue Major Parkraft, which would, of course, have resulted in your capture."

"Thanks," Mark said, uncomfortably.

The door slid open and the short, slender form of Matt Philips entered, leading the man Mark had rescued by one arm.

"Here, Forest, have a seat." Philips steered him over beside Alan and lowered him into a chair.

"He's lookin' a little better," Mark said, hopefully.

"Definitely," Philips said. He glanced at Kaley.

The General inclined his head. "Give them a full report, Doctor."

"Yes sir." Philips turned to Alan and Mark. "This is Forest Tarfee, a fisherman from Xenis. He's lived there most of his life, married six years ago and started a family. His wife and daughter are offworld at present -- conveniently."

"We have people after them," Kaley put in. "They're on Terra, incidentally. Tarfee's mother-in-law passed away recently. Continue, Doctor."

"Tarfee is a psychic," Philips resumed. "Quite unaware of his talents, too. He came into Kern early this morning to trade, and was accosted by a squad of the Patrol. They made him a prisoner and took him to the Patrol station, where he met Lord Pronthvor. M'lord accused him of being a psychic and ordered him taken for interrogation."

"How did you find all this out?" Mark demanded.

"Hypnosis," Philips said, "combined with my own empathic ability. The man was in shock when he arrived, and whatever they used, it tore his nervous system half to shreds. If they'd kept it on him another few minutes, his mind would have been irreparably damaged, and he very likely would be dead. As it is, he's going to need a lot of retraining and therapy."

"Did he tell you about the interrogation?" Alan asked.

Philips glanced at Tarfee. "No, he didn't. Memory seems to stop when they took him into that room. I tried to probe him and he became almost psychotic -- acutely paranoid. I tried sedation, but he still fought the probe fiercely. Whatever they did to him, he either doesn't remember or doesn't want to remember -- and he won't submit to a probe."

Alan nodded. "He fought me, too."

Mark muttered under his breath. "That globe thing was in there with him. It apparently affected Dan, too. Parnell said he must have looked at it too long, or touched it or somethin'. Well, he did touch it -- and looked at it." Mark hesitated, looking a little uneasy. "I looked at it too, an' somethin' about it bothered me, but I was mostly watchin' the Jil, so I didn't pay it much attention."

"I'm glad of that," Alan said softly.

"What about Parkraft?" Philips asked suddenly. "Did he seem disturbed by the object?"

"Not a bit. He picked it up and stuck it in his pouch. There was this funny metallic cloth they had it sittin' on. Dan dropped it." Mark fished in his pocket. "I almost forgot. Here." He presented it to Philips. "Parnell said somethin' about a special cloth for pickin' it up. This might be it."

"Hmm." Philips took it. "Maybe the lab boys can tell us something."

"Anyway," Mark finished, "we gotta get hold of that blasted thing."

"I agree with you Major," Kaley said. "And it seems our best chance now is the young daughter of Commander Parnell."

Kaley dismissed them a few minutes later, and Mark jammed his hands in his pockets as the door closed behind them. "What a mess," he remarked. "The li'l gal's a psychic, an' if we return her now, she's probably gonna be questioned by Duke Halthzor. An' you know what he's gonna do with her."

Alan knew all right. He'd been thinking about it too.

"I sure dunno how Parnell thinks he's gonna get away with it," Linley continued. "He's bound t'get caught, an if he does, it'll be the execution chair for him."

Again Alan nodded. "I've got to go talk to her."

Linley shrugged. "Bet it won't do any good, but go ahead if you want. I'll come along if you like."

Alan shook his head. "Thanks, but I think it's better for you to stay away from her. Besides, maybe I can talk some sense into her if I'm alone."

Mark grinned. "I thought so."

"Huh? You thought so what?"

"You like her, don'tcha?"

Alan could feel the heat creeping up his neck. "You're nuts! She's a little brat -- spoiled rotten, and --"

"Kinda cute, too," Mark finished for him. "'Sides, she's got a lotta spunk, just like you, even if she ain't usin her head much right now."

"Mark, you stop that!" Alan knew he was scarlet. Linley socked him lightly on the shoulder.

"Go ahead," Mark said. "I'll be waitin' for you. Remember, we gotta make contact with her dad in five hours."

The brig was empty except for two people. Lyn Parnell was seated on the cot, her back firmly to the outer room. Eric Vogleman was reading, parked in the guard's chair by the door, his feet resting casually on the small control and communications console in front of him. He glanced up and swung his feet to the floor when Alan entered. "Hi Alan. What can I do for you?"

"I need to talk to Miss Parnell," Alan said.

Eric nodded amiably. "Want me to stick around? She's got quite a mouth on her."

"I think I can handle it," Alan said.

Eric's eyebrows went up. "Okay by me." He grinned suddenly. "No hanky panky now, Colonel Westover. We don't want to get a reputation like the Patrol's."

Alan felt himself go scarlet. "Of course not!"

Eric looked surprised. "Hey, I was only kidding. Don't take me seriously."

Alan felt silly. "Sorry." He tried to speak casually. "Thanks."

"Sure." Eric opened the force field for him, then went out.

"I guess I don't have a say if you come in," Lyn Parnell's voice dripped frost. "What do *you* want, Alan Westover?"

"To talk to you." Alan kept his voice carefully neutral. "You're a bit of a puzzle to us, you know. We've never known a Terran psychic who was in favor of the other side before."

She turned around then, and glared at him. "I'm *not* in favor of the Jilectans, Alan Westover!"

"Pretty stupid, you know," he continued softly. "According to them, you're a degenerate and a criminal."

She shrugged. "Nobody with a milligram of brains swallows the propaganda, anyway, so what difference does it make?"

Alan sat down on the bench across from her. "Miss Parnell, you must realize that you're in a very vulnerable position right now."

She smiled mockingly. "Obviously. I'm a prisoner of the Terran Underground, and at present am being questioned by the most wanted man in the Sector. Yes, I think I'd agree that my position is vulnerable."

Alan smothered a spark of anger. "You know that's not what I mean."

"Indeed? Then what *do* you mean?"

"When we return you to your father, the Jilectans are going to question you. Have you thought about that?"

"Question me? Why should they?"

"You said it yourself. You're a prisoner of the Terran Underground. Don't you think they're going to want to know all about what happened while you were with us? I know you have shielding, but do you think it's good enough to stand up under a Jilectan mind probe?"

"Stop! Stop!" She covered her ears. "You're trying to frighten me, but I won't let you! My father will protect me!"

"Your father won't be in any position to protect you, Lyn." He tried to speak gently. "If he doesn't get away, he'll be questioned as well. And what do you think the Jils are going to do when they find he was bargaining with us -- even if it was to save his daughter's life?"

She wouldn't look at him. "Go away!"

"Please listen to me, Lyn. You're frightened and angry with me, but I really don't want you killed. If ..."

"Why should you care?" she interrupted fiercely. "You told my father that if he didn't do what you said I'd die. Don't try to tell me that you're worried about *my* welfare!"

Again he squashed down anger. "I *do* care, Lyn. You're a psychic, and a Terran. We're in this together, whether you like it or not."

"You go to hell!" It was almost a scream. "You think you're so damn clever, Alan Westover, because you're a psychic! We'll, I'm a psychic, too, and I can sense things without intending to!" She smiled suddenly and not at all pleasantly. "For one thing, I can tell that you find me desirable! What do you think of that?"

Alan felt himself go scarlet, and he got abruptly to his feet.

She seemed to realize then that she'd made a mistake. Her mouth quivered and tears flooded her eyes. She buried her face in her hands. "When am I to be traded for the Undergrounder?" she asked in a muffled voice.

"You're not," he replied stiffly. "Our man is dead."

Her face came up, her eyes wide with horror. "That's a lie! Dad wouldn't have him killed -- not while I --"

"He's dead," Alan repeated, "and you know I'm not lying."

"Oh." She was silent for a moment. "Am I to die then?"

Alan sighed. "Not yet. We've been in contact with your father, and he's promised to try to get the globe for us. If he can, we'll trade you for it."

"Globe?" she asked blankly.

"The thing they were using to interrogate the prisoner Mark rescued. Do you know what it is?"

She shook her head and stood up, facing him. She was very short, he realized, her dark, curly head reaching just past his shoulder. Suddenly ashamed, Alan reached out a hand to touch her shoulder, but the reassuring words he was about to speak were cut off as she jerked violently away from him, wiping her arm across her clothing as though he had contaminated her.

"Keep your hands to yourself, Mr. Westover!" Her voice dripped scorn.

Sympathy vanished in a flood of anger. He stepped back from her and pressed his wrist communicator. "Eric, I've finished talking to the Parnell girl."

"And found it a stimulating experience, judging from your tone of voice," the young lieutenant's voice said brightly. As if on cue, the door opened and Eric Vogleman stepped inside. "My my, you look angry, Colonel! What did our little sloofbrain have to say?"

"Be quiet, Eric," Alan said. He stepped from the cell and reactivated the force field.

The girl laughed scornfully. "All you big, brave men, so afraid of one girl ..."

"Big?" Eric looked down at himself. "Why, thank you, honey. Nobody's ever called me big before -- or Alan either, that I can remember." He grinned impudently. "Maybe you're referring to the size of our hearts?"

The girl turned her back on him. Eric snickered. "Aw, now you've gone and hurt my feelings! Listen, sweetie, right now, you're caught between the devil and the deep, blue sea. Better not stick too many pins in the only life raft you've got."

The girl didn't reply. Eric whacked Alan on the back. "You better go get a drink, Colonel. You look like you could use one."

Alan went to the door, but was unable to resist one glance back at Lyn Parnell. Her eyes met his for a moment, hostile and furious. Then she tossed her head and looked away.

Alan went out.

V

They contacted Parnell on schedule. Lyn had been brought along in case her father demanded to hear her voice as proof that she was still alive. She was place in the rear seat of the tiny ship, her hands cuffed behind her and she had not spoken during the entire trip. Alan had been scanning her constantly to be sure that she made no attempt to go through Mark's shielding, but she didn't.

Mark signaled the Commander's private communicator. "Commander Parnell?"

The officer's voice responded at once. "This is Parnell."

Alan leaned forward. "This is Westover. Do you have it?"

"Yes, I have it. The exchange can be made on Kasal -- if that's all right with you."

"Kasal?" Alan glanced questioningly at Mark.

"Third planet in the Bethera system," Linley said. "The Jils were thinkin' about usin' it for colonization, last I heard."

"They've decided not to," Parnell said. "It's too cold for them. There's a small Patrol post there, but fewer than a hundred patrolmen are stationed on it. It's an easy planet to lose oneself on ..." His voice changed. "I may find it necessary to lose myself, soon."

Alan felt a stab of sympathy for the man. "Maybe we can talk about that when we meet, sir."

"Another recruited Patrol Commander, you mean?" There was wry humor in Parnell's voice. "I'll think about it, Colonel. Commanders certainly seem to be your specialty, don't they?" His voice changed. "Is Lyn all right?"

"I'm fine, Daddy," she said. "They haven't hurt me."

"I'll be seeing you soon, honey. Just hang on."

"Yes, Daddy. Please be careful."

Parnell spoke to Alan again. "Take good care of her, young man. I'll carry through with my part of the bargain."

"Don't worry," Alan said. "She won't be hurt. Do you have a designated spot on Kasal for our meeting?"

Parnell gave him the coordinates. "It's a good distance from the Patrol outpost, and near the equator. The entire continent is largely tree-covered so we should be well concealed if we're able to land without attracting attention. I'll have to leave immediately. Can you make it in twelve hours?"

"Twelve hours," Alan said. He reached out, trying to sense the slightest hint of evasion or falsehood, but there was nothing. The man was sincere; he was sure of it. "All right, Commander. Over and out." He cut transmission and they headed back to the Tin Soldier.

Kaley refused to let him go to Kasal with Mark.

"No, Colonel, I'm sorry. Linley can handle this without you. It's a risky business, of course ..."

"That's why you don't want me to go!" Alan interrupted, bitterly.

"Colonel, be reasonable. I don't want you near that thing, to put it bluntly."

"What about *Mark*?"

"Major Linley is an experienced individual when it comes to the mentality of the Patrol. He knows enough not to look at the thing like Major Parkraft did. We have the cloth that it was covered with. He will take it with him, and will not touch the globe at all."

"Sir, I want to go. It's important."

"No, Colonel, I'm sorry. Don't force me to lock you up, for god's sake ..."

Alan felt his expression freeze and Kaley lost color. "I'm sorry, Colonel. I didn't mean that, of course."

Alan didn't reply. Kaley cleared his throat. "Of course, I will have to send a psychic to be sure that Miss Parnell makes no attempt to read the Major -- not that I expect she will, but we can't be too careful." Kaley cleared his throat again. "Colonel Westover, are you listening to me?"

Mark slapped him lightly on the back. "I'll be fine, kiddo. An', like it or not, I sorta agree with the General. You shouldn't oughtta be around that thing."

"I don't like it," Alan said.

"I'm sending two fighters to cover him," Kaley said helpfully.

Alan tried to fight back his anger. Kaley looked uncomfortable. "That will be all, gentlemen. Major Linley, tell Lieutenant Loften to accompany you."

tbc

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.