Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#135718 11/17/12 06:19 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
In Wrong Clark my Lois said:

“But we’re partners!” she exclaimed, and then blushed as she realized that she implied that as partners they were closer than a married couple was.
To which Michael jokingly responded:
Can you imagine if Clark were married to Lois but got partnered with Linda?
I answered: What if Clark were married to Linda but partnered with Lois?

John posted the following, which sounded like a Challenge to me:

I cannot imagine Clark married to Linda. It is entirely unimaginable.
Now that you've got the background, here is the Challenge:

Sometime between college and May 1993, Clark Kent has met and married Linda King. Then he gets a job at the Daily Planet, where he meets and becomes partners with Lois Lane.

It would be more fun if Linda gets a job at the Metropolis Star at the same time. But that's mainly because I like to torture my characters.

You must somehow make it believeable.

Go! Have fun! evil

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#135719 11/18/12 07:26 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Yikes! I can't necessarily see that. The closest alternative that could be imagined is Lana going off to college in journalism (it's not unprecedented, in the late 70s to early 80s she and Clark worked together at WGBS) and does was Linda did before turning around and marrying Clark.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#135720 11/18/12 11:41 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Well, there is at least one alt-universe story where Clark is actually married to Lana when he meets (and is partnered with) Lois... But that is a little bit different, I guess. :p

Seriously, though, I cannot see Clark falling for Linda King at all.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#135721 11/18/12 11:47 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
laugh

EDIT: I never said that Clark and Linda's marriage had to be a good and happy one. I never said that they couldn't be in the midst of a divorce or a trial separation, which is why Clark (perhaps) moved from the Metropolis Star to the Daily Planet. I never said that Linda didn't blackmail Clark into marrying her. There are options to make it workable.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#135722 11/18/12 12:08 PM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
[Linked Image] Since Preston was already using Linda and hitting on her. What if Linda actually sleeps with Preston and Clark quits the MetStar because of the business practices. Or, he plays whistleblower and tells Lois. Of course, given the ugliness with his wife (Lois might say, the ugliness that is his wife), it might easily sound like jilted husband trying to get revenge. Which might make Perry suspicious, but Lois, being Lois and hating Linda, well, she'd be gung ho about this.

wave Michael

PS: Yes, Clark's wife (who's not Lois) cheating on him with the big man is a tried theme on the boards.

PPS:
Personally, story wise, I liked Michael's suggestion better:
blush blush notworthy

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#135723 11/18/12 01:28 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Darth Michael:
Since Preston was already using Linda and hitting on her. What if Linda actually sleeps with Preston and Clark quits the MetStar because of the business practices. Or, he plays whistleblower and tells Lois. Of course, given the ugliness with his wife (Lois might say, the ugliness that is his wife), it might easily sound like jilted husband trying to get revenge. Which might make Perry suspicious, but Lois, being Lois and hating Linda, well, she'd be gung ho about this.
Ooooh, you've got my creative juices flowing. How about if Clark works for the Met. Star. Preston sends Clark on over to the Daily Planet as a mole (somewhat similiarly to what happened in Rival) to uncover something that doesn't exist (something Preston made-up about the DP or Perry, etc.). Lois is thrilled about breaking up Clark and Linda's professional partnership (because of Lois and Linda's history) unknowing that Clark is married to Linda. Only to Clark's dismay, he discovers that the reason he's at the DP is fake, Lois meanwhile discovers an affair between Preston and Linda (the true reason Preston sent Clark to DP as mole) exposing it, and... and... and... I'm assuming that Clark is going to be torn up somehow in the middle. Hmmmmm.

Maybe while at the DP and while working with Lois, he gets the idea of becoming Superman, only Linda won't listen to him. Maybe Linda had been a wedge between him and his folks or something (they didn't want him to marry her), and he uses his breakup with Linda and leaving the Met. Star to reconcile with his folks.

Of course, the problem here is the assumption that Linda knows Clark's secret. We'd have to find a way to wipe Linda's memory without using a kiss. wink They go out into a rainstorm to discuss (argue) about their dissolving marriage and lightning strikes, giving Linda Clark's powers, then Nightfall strikes and Linda has to save the day. She comes back to Earth with no memory, and Clark uses this to get his powers back. Linda never recovers her memory without her super healing. Clark becomes Superman, saves the earth, leaves Linda. Okay, that's starting to sound swarmy. I'll have to think on that a while longer.

VirginiaR.
---

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard