Next Thread
Print Thread
#13469 06/23/04 11:00 AM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
That was good, Wendy! thumbsup Keep writing!
See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh dear! That poor woman! whinging whinging whinging

I feel so sorry for her. Clark was a real moron! Git! mad

He should pay for what he did to her! wildguy

Oh yes, great letter, Wendy!! But you already know I loved it. laugh

Elena devil

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have never thought about Mayson' reation to Clark's death/resurrection: Clark was really a jerk! Even if Mayson was only a friend for him, he would have had to call a friend of his! Yes, this was the hardest situation, but with his parents he had regretted to not be able to see Perry and Jimmy as Clark!
Do you think Clark is going to make amends for it?
Or is he going to float outside Lois' window during the next few days?
Go on Wendy, please, we are addicted to this Yesterday Series!

Simona smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. smile1

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm not feeling Mayson. I don't really care what she thinks, though I think it was an interesting twist. This is very interesting. Waiting... hail

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Good riddance to Mason. She was a pushy person. Good job though Wendy. I never even considered her perspective. But did they ever really date?They met for lunch to talk. She kissed him, he didn't really kiss her. Splitting hairs I guess. Anyway, it was interesting in a pathetic sort of way. I am much more interested in how Clark reacts to Lois's letter. Where is that? I hope we aren't going to get a letter from Jimmy and Perry and Cat before we get to Lois's reaction<g> I know I am being impatient! Hurry and write some more! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Top Banana
Top Banana
I rarely think of Mayson (or Dan, but that's off topic) in this light, but no matter what you say - she brought it on herself when she refused to read between the lines.

Great letter - the only line that made me want to kick her was where she said Lois doesn't deserve Clark. In a way, I see where she's coming from, but still. razz

Julie smile (who wouldn't have had a problem if this one had a splat wink )

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh dear, now one of the things happened I never thought would happen: I feel sorry for Mayson. Yes, Clark threated her poorly, but I never paid much attention to that because I wanted him to be with Lois. Yet here we are, and it's all so clear now. I don't blame her at all for that letter! How could Clark not have thought of her?

I really enjoyed this letter, dispite my dislike for Mayson. It's well written and excellent introspection on Mayson's behalf. And above all, it's a very nice twist on TOGOM. thumbsup Wendy did it again. <g>

I'm very curious to the next letter now! How will Clark respond to this? Hurry and bring it on, please! wildguy

Saskia smile

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wendy

WOW, another great letter! smile1

Tricia cool

Kerth
Kerth
Totally unexpected! eek

Jose smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Top Banana
Top Banana
You already know how much I love this one, Wendy, probably even more than the others you wrote. I'd never even THOUGHT about how Mayson might have felt about Clark's death; it's horrible that no-one cared about warning her and comforting her. And she's right. Lois was treated like Clark's widow, and in a way, we all know she was. But wow. Thank you for that fantastic insight. thumbsup

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Very interesting! I DO think Mayson had some rights to be bitter - Clark did use her as a convenience, just a way to stroke his ego about his "Clark" side while Lois was being a brat. And it was cruel of Clark not to call her and let her know he was alive, but then Clark was kinda inconsiderate in general in TOGOM, so par for the course. :rolleyes:

Yes. Her. The other woman. Lois. The grieving widow - or that's how she appeared. She was your partner. Your friend. Nothing more - so far as I knew. And yet everyone was behaving as if she'd been your soulmate.
Yes, they were acting like Lois was his "widow", but Mayson really didn't have to bitchy about that. Lois had been best friends and partners with the man for a year and a half! They spent pretty much every day together and quite a bit of their free time together - so, yeah, Lois had quite a lot to be upset about. While Mayson had been friends with him for a couple of months and had several 'dates' with him. Granted, allowed to be upset, but not about Lois' and his other friends reactions.

So, feel bad for Mayson? Yeah, sure. I sympathize with her being in love with someone who was obviously in love with someone else. But not going to cry over Clark's neglect of her during TOGOM anymore than I did over his neglect of Perry and Jimmy, etc...

One little nitpick:
And yet the signs were there. If I had any pride, I'd have walked away after you stood me up when I invited you to the mountains for the weekend.
"The Eyes Have It" was several episodes after TOGOM.

Write more, soon,
Jill goofy (God I'm behind in reading!!!)

Beaker: Special Talents: Scientific assistant, Victim
Last Book Read: "1001 Meeps to a Bigger Vocabulary"
Quote: "Meep! Meep! Meep!"
Never Leaves Home Without: Medical Coverage
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thank you all for your lovely comments on this one! smile1 I knew that this would get a polarised reaction, given that it's Mayson, and that's what happened. wink I never thought that Mayson was evil or anything like that, personally; I thought she was just a nice woman who really fell for Clark and saw more in their relationship than was really there. And he did give her mixed signals, I thought. However, she should have given up when it was obvious that he was in love with Lois - but she was desperate enough to take whatever crumbs he offered her. goofy ). So, as I see it, there's certainly scope for saying that they saw more of each other than was shown on-screen.

But the other thing to remember is that this is Mayson writing. We're seeing her perspective on their relationship. And even then she acknowledges that she's not even sure that it can be called a relationhip; that she's not sure Clark was really her boyfriend, or how he saw her.

Regardless, I think he did behave badly towards her in TOGOM - as he did to everyone else, of course; Jill is quite right there. Oh, and thanks for pointing out my faux pas, Jill - that reference to the weekend in the mountains should have come out (it has now).

Thanks again, everyone! Story 5 is coming up shortly - this is another jointly-written one.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Include me as one of those who doesn't sympathize with Mayson at this point in time. Of course, I'm one of the ones who took part in the discussion on IRC on just how much time they had spent together.

To me, they barely knew each other at this point. Keep in mind that ToGoM is only two episodes after CoM. That's hardly enough time for them to get to be serious about each other. Unless Mayson is a "love at first sight" person, she's only had enough time to be attracted to him. So I can understand if nobody at the Daily Planet knew who she was. And why Clark didn't consider calling her, since he barely knew her.

Now if this were close to Lucky Leon, that would seem like sufficient time for them to get to be close to each other. But I have a hard time believing two eps is enough. And on top of that, TEHI is two episodes after ToGoM, so it's true that she hasn't asked him to the mountains yet. Even I got the impression that she wasn't yet in love with him.

Being that much of their relationship or lack of relationship takes place off camera, it's hard to say how far along they were, so I can accept that from Mayson's point of view she believed there was more than there really was. I just wish this had been written further along in second season than ToGoM.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Top Banana
Top Banana
I don't know, Roger. I mean, I can see the point that Mayson and Clark hadn't known each other for a very long time - although the length of time between each episode is for us viewers to figure out, so it could have been a month for all we know. The thing is, my view of Mayson is that she fell so hard for Clark that she idealised him. She refused to see his mistakes for a long time, probably like many women do when they're in love. To her, he was that one man she'd been waiting for... kind of like Lois for Clark.

Take Lois, for example. Her behaviour towards Clark in the first few weeks of their relationship was hardly exemplary, if you see things from his POV. He could have walked away. He could have decided that no matter how attracted he was to her, he was better off walking away. Thing is, he didn't, because he was in love, and he kept the hope that one day she would come around to feeling the same way about him as he felt about her.

Now look at Clark's behaviour towards Mayson. He never pushed her away. It was never really clear whether he wanted a relationship with her or not - and I believe that he didn't know that himself either. And so Mayson kept trying, because she was in love and didn't want to give up on a man she thought was *the one*.

TOGOM to her was probably like a cold shower. Considering the ambiguous nature of their relationship (they've already been on a date and they've kissed - hardly something Clark can ignore), imho there is no excuse to the way she was ignored then.

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Unfortunately, the only thing I have to go on is what was shown on-camera. As of ToGoM, they did indeed have a lunch date. But it ended badly with Mayson accusing Clark of going to lunch only to ask her about Bill Church and for no other reason.

For all Clark knew, their relationship never got off the ground. I wouldn't even count that as a date considering it lasted no more than two minutes. Mayson may have interrupted a dance at the end, but it's fic-writers who implied that she monopolized Clark for the rest of the night. For all we know, Lois had the next dance since they did come there together. Clark isn't the type to abandon his "date."

They weren't seen together again on a "date" until Top Copy. And that wasn't a date either, since Lois was there and the goal was to pump Mayson for information about the Intergang defector.

True, Mayson asked him to the mountains in TEHI, but it seemed to take Clark completely by surprise. Could be his old-fashioned rural upbringing that surprised him, but there had been no indication beforehand that they'd even talked to each other since the dance at the end of CoM. And Mayson didn't say she was inviting him because it seemed like the logical next step. Rather she said it was an impulsive move brought on by the desire to be assertive.

Canon-wise, their relationship is non-existent during ToGoM and that they don't know each other well enough to even be friends. With that in mind, there was no reason for Clark to call her.

Anything between them is inferred by the author, so I'll accept that in this world, more than a couple of weeks have gone by and that they've dated a few times. In that case, Clark's a cad for not calling her. wink

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard