Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LaurenW Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Ever thought about trying a different word processor when writing your stories? Maybe one that'd jump-start your creative juices? Scrivener from Literature & Latte is supposed to be designed especially for the creative and organizational needs of a writer. It was created by a writer for writers.

What makes Scrivener different from traditional word processors like Microsoft Word are features such as outliners and virtual index cards to help you storyboard and structure your story. Other features include a scriptwriting mode, character name generator, Kindle/epub exporter and a way to store and organize your collected research.

Scrivener is a native Macintosh program, but a Windows version is in beta, with disclaimers. Scrivener costs $45, but there is a 30-day free trial. If you're a NaNoWriMo writer, you get a discount if you buy Scrivener.

What's the challenge? Write a story using Scrivener's 30-day trial, and come back here to tell us about your experience using it. Did it help you in planning and structuring your story? Did the process inspire you? Was the interface intuitive? Would it be worth switching from Word? Etc.

Are you a blocked writer? Has your muse bailed on you halfway into your latest story? This challenge has your name all over it. Your fans want to be reading. And c'mon, the archive needs feeding. smile This could be the change of pace that gets you over the hump.

I came upon a mention of Scrivener recently while listening to an episode of the podcast MacBreak Weekly and was intrigued. The technology journalists on the show are big fans, and they were excited that version 2.0 had just been released. So I checked out the Web site and read shout-outs from many published fiction writers -- including Bruce Sterling, one of my favorite science-fiction authors.

Someone excerpted audio from MacBreak Weekly in which Chicago Sun Times tech writer Andy Ihnatko talks about how he uses Scrivener, which is worth a listen. It's posted here .

On Episode 33 of the Mac Power Users Podcast , Ihnatko goes more in depth on it.

Here are some press clippings from Scrivener's site I found especially interesting:

Scrivener starts by assuming that any piece of written work (be it a novel, screenplay, academic paper, you name it) will be written as a series of disconnected chunks... this application is a great value and comes highly recommended.
- Giles Turnball, MacUser

By the time I had reached 50,000+ words on my first story I couldn't find anything when I was using Word... Finally, I found scrivener. Scrivener does a lot but the most important thing, for me anyway, is that I can separate each scene. I can name it in the side column, and finding things is now a snap. There is a place for notes on each scene, research, outlines, etc. It's awesome. Worth every penny.
- Crystal Posey, Acualize blog

What makes Scrivener so cool is its ability to squirrel away almost any kind of file in its "resource" area - website URLs, snippets of text, emails, PDF documents, images, etc. See something you want to keep? Just select and drag it in. You'll always know where it is, because it will always be in the same place....
- Bill Henderson, Write a Better Novel

The big benefit of Scrivener is that you can outline, research and write, all in a single application. The Scrivener forum, a bunch of knowledgeable "writerly" people (I can't think of another way to describe people who are serious about writing and who write), generously give lots of tips which will not only help you use Scrivener, but to write as well.
- Angela Booth, Angela Booth's Writing Blog

I am not a linear writer. In other words, I don't start at the beginning and just keep going until I get to the end (and then edit, edit, edit). Instead, I visualize the entire project and see an outline or skeleton. As I find resources, material, quotes, literature and even websites that I need to include, I try to place them on an appropriate "hook" in the outline in my mind. This can get crazy. Especially if you are juggling several projects... the search eventually led me to an amazing application which is the subject of this post: Scrivener.
- Karyn Traphagen, Boulders 2 Bits blog
Really I'm not trying to be a commercial for Scrivener, but I love the idea that it has helped some writers be more productive. And if there are any writers I wish could be more productive, it's you guys! Shameless self-interest here. I love reading fanfic -- what can I say? smile

And speaking of tools to help writers be more productive, are there other programs out there that get your creative engines turning? Please share.

Lauren

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Bill Henderson
Bill Henderson?!

How about a quote from Lois or Clark, while we're at it? wink

Joy,
Lynn

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by LaurenW:
Scrivener from Literature & Latte is
only for the mac

edited to add:
Originally posted by LabRat:
You can download the Windows version from the link in Lauren's original post.
I stand corrected.

Framework4
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Scrivener is a native Macintosh program, but a Windows version is in beta, with disclaimers.
You can dowload the Windows version from the link in Lauren's original post.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
LaurenW Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
No takers? OK, I recast the challenge -- use anything you like, just please write a story. smile

But if you're interested in looking beyond your familiar word processor for other writerly tools, I came across another interesting novel-writing program. (This is creative procrastination for me, as I'm putting off work by helping find ways for you to write. No thanks necessary. smile )

yWriter5 is a free Windows program for novel writers. With it you create chapters and fill them with scenes. There's a place to jot down scene goals, descriptions and conflicts. You can track word counts and view a storyboard of what different characters are doing in different chapters. Pretty cool. And free! Did I mention free?

The program was written by Australian programmer and science fiction writer Simon Haynes, who writes the Hal Spacejock series, which I admit I hadn't heard of until now. Though I should probably read it because one reviewer calls Haynes the "Australian Terry Pratchett," and I love Pratchett. (The first Hal Spacejock book is available free to download and read .)

In my fifteen minutes of using yWriter, my favorite feature is that Haynes has included a sample writing project -- a Hal Spacejock story -- so if you're scratching your head when you create a new project, wondering what to do and how to start (well, that's what I was doing), you can quickly grok how chapters and scenes are organized and edited by loading the sample project. Double-click a scene from the spreadsheet-like view and, bam, you're editing it. Bam!

I finally downloaded the beta trial of Scrivener for Windows and tried it myself. Wow, that interface is not immediately intuitive. Unlike yWriter, there's no sample project to load and learn from. But there are video tutorials !

I watched the 10-minute introduction video and the light bulb turned on, the penny dropped. It really is easy to create new scenes, reorder them, color-code their "index cards," mark a scene's status (to-do, first draft, revised draft, done, etc.), and compare current word counts against your target word counts.

It looks like the Windows version is missing some of the features of the Mac version. I didn't see the option to save as epub or change the text and background colors in full-screen editing mode. Maybe they'll be added before the Windows version leaves beta.

I also checked out a 35-minute YouTube screencast on Scrivener that was helpful.

Lynn S. M. suggested finding a Lois and Clark plug for Scrivener along with Bill Henderson's. Well, I did look. wink No luck, but writer Bill\'s site is worth a peek. He's got some ideas about how to conquer that novel-writing procrastination technique known as never-ending revision. I'm sure you guys would never succumb to that. But if you did....

Speaking of procrastination, want to fall down the rabbit hole too, searching for writerly tools? (Though really, wouldn't you rather be writing? As a fan of your writing, I would rather you be writing.)

There's even more software for writers out there! Check out what's available at

www.literatureandlatte.com/links.php
www.teresciaharvey.com/hea/software.html
http://www.writersstore.com

or just google software for novel writers

Some writers blogs mention Evernote as a useful tool. I've been using Evernote for a while as a general notes database to store recipes, to-dos and work-related reminders. You could use it as a place to keep track of story ideas and plot points. A cool thing about Evernote, besides that it's free (with some features costing $$$), is that there's a parallel Evernote editor on the Web site, and you can create a free account and sync your offline notes with online notes. I've been using it to check the same set of notes whether I'm on my home or office computers.

One of those features Evernote charges for is syncing to the iPhone/iPod Touch Evernote app. I haven't sprung for the monthly fee in order to do that, but it's tempting. However, I have been using DropBox as an easy way of syncing documents to my iPod Touch. And of course there's GoogleDocs , the cloud-based, MS Office workalike: You could access your stories-in-progress anywhere you've got an Internet connection.

OK, I'm going back to manually reformatting archive stories now. Only about 2,900 more to go.

Lauren

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard