I was looking in my works word processor the other day - which I rarely use - and came across this (very) little ‘gem’ I wrote back in January. Anyone remember this challenge? Well I never really finished the story and so didn’t post it at the time, but I’m not feeling overly self-critical at the moment, so it’s going up as is! goofy

Untitled - suggestions welcome

I worked nights down by the docks. And no, not doing what you’re thinking, so you can just wipe that thought from your minds. It was undercover mostly - it’s better not to be seen when you’re in this line of work.

I was fairly new to the job, just finding my feet. And what a privilege to be there - the beachfront location, cool sea breezes, the gentle lap of the ocean. It was heaven. During the short time I’d been in my position I’d witnessed some pretty interesting things. Wild parties, men gambling for big money, the despair they felt when the stakes were too high. Liasons with prostitutes, even drugs. The owner of this establishment had no inkling of what was going on under his roof, but I saw it all in those few short months.

I heard the rattle of keys in the lock and the door was pushed open. People entered the room, two of them from what I could tell from my concealed locale. Bags were dumped on the floor. Were they carrying some sort of equipment? Or weapons, maybe? Intergang, my overactive imagination suggested. No, I reproached myself. Don’t jump the gun, not everyone is a criminal or lowlife. Maybe she's just packed too many shoes. Some women are like that you know.

They were a good looking young couple, a man and a woman, in their late twenties I guessed. Were they there on a date or were they working? To begin with I couldn’t decide. I remained out of sight, biding my time, content to eavesdrop. My cheeks began to glow as I listened in on their conversation. Aah, young love, I smiled to myself. Nothing like it. This was most definitely a date. A cold draught brought me out of my reverie. He must not have closed the door properly when they came in. No matter. I relaxed a little, there was no danger here tonight.

Or so I thought until I was murdered. Bam! Shot to the head. Never saw it coming. My broken body falling lifeless to the floor. It was over.

The End

Who am I?

Anyone else feel like doing one of these since I’ve resurrected the idea? This forum’s a great place to post a little story if, like me, you’re not brave enough to post in fanfic with the big guns. We promise to be nice. smile

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.