Since I can't seem to finish my story for the fic-a-thon, I thought I'd at least post something for this little challenge.

It's exactly 300 words - enjoy smile

Eva

Happy Belated Birthday

"God, Lois, I'm so sorry I missed your birthday party. I can't believe everybody's gone already. I really wanted to come. In fact, I was just five minutes from your place when I remembered that I had left on the oven. So I had to go back and turn it off. After that, I actually made it to Carter Avenue, but when I passed the Blockbuster down the street, I remembered that I had forgotten to return a video, so I had to go back and then to Ralph's Video Heaven. But after that I was literally in front of your building when I realized that I had confused your present with my latest Cheese of the Month shipment. And since I was so late, I didn't want to come here without a present, so I had to go back. And then there was this car crash and big traffic jam and I was stuck right in the middle. So I walked the rest of the way and got you I'm-sorry-flowers. But then this big Saint Bernhard attacked me and liked my face and everything fell out of my hands - the package landed in a puddle and he stepped onto the flowers when he finally decided to back down – not to mention that his paws totally ruined my suit. And he even chewed off part of my tie, see. And then it started to rain and … Look, I'm so sorry, all I wanted to say is: Happy birthday." Clark ended, raking his fingers through his wet hair and looking pathetic with the ruined flowers and soaked present in hand, his shredded tie hanging from his now paw-patterned shirt.

"Oh Kent, stop the excuses and shut up," Lois said, pulling his face to hers for a present-dropping, heart-stopping kiss.

kill a cliché, save a reader