In the reception area of the Burns Unit, Clark stood with his wife and children around him while the conversation played out between the trio in the room he'd just left. Lois watched her husband closely with as much patience as she could muster but, as a range of emotions chased, one after the other, across his features, she could no longer bear the suspense.

"What's happening, Clark?" She patted his chest demandingly, yet at the same time she let her hand linger, appreciating, as always, the well-toned muscles that were hidden beneath his brand new sweater.

Clark's distracted attention was drawn to his wife and, purely out of habit, he found himself objecting to her suggestion that he was listening in. "Lo-is, I do not...."

"And don't pretend that you're not eavesdropping, sweetheart, because even super-ethics aren't immune to curiosity on this scale," Lois smirked, but she instinctively lowered her voice.

For a fleeting moment it looked like Clark might demur, but he gave in laughingly to the enquiring quirk of Lois' eyebrows -- she knew him better than he did himself. Not to mention the fact that his superboy was about to spill the beans anyway. He really needed to speak to Joel about the moral values of respecting peoples' privacy. Only on this occasion, Lois was right -- even he had been concerned enough to break the rules. "Okay! I might have overheard a little, and I don't think we have to worry anymore. Things are definitely looking up for Ben and his mother."

"That's wonderful, honey. I'm so happy for them," Lois said sincerely, feeling a little misty-eyed at the prospect of a reunion between mother and son. Claudette's and Ben's lives had been torn apart by an evil man and they'd both made mistakes, yet they deserved happiness. Of course, both had a long way to go to find redemption, but the fact that they'd taken the first steps on the journey was enough for today. And talking of days -- this was Christmas and the afternoon was drawing to a close. Lois shook herself out of her reverie. "I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting hungry and I know that your grandparents will have Christmas dinner waiting for us, so we should be leaving."

Lois and Clark started shepherding their four children towards the elevators, swinging Nathan along between them as they went, while the three elder children reviewed the prospect of the feast that waited for them at home.

"Great, Gramma Martha's roast turkey and gravy." Joel salivated at the thought. "With chestnut stuffing!"

"Her apple-pie and homemade ice-cream!" Clara hadn't yet developed her mother's taste for chocolate, preferring her father's favourite dessert.

"Dad's chocolate Yule log!" Julian announced dreamily, then his fair skin flushed bright red. His eyes shot to his father's in apology. "Sorry, Dad! That was meant to be a surprise."

"Clark, another surprise! You spoil me!" Lois squeezed against her husband as they waited for the elevator, her thoughts returning to the delectable feeling of Clark's broad chest beneath her hand a few minutes ago.

"It's only a cake, Lois," Clark explained, blushing at her actions yet enjoying them too.

"But a chocolate one -- you know how much I love dessert!" she teased, allowing the tiny tip of her tongue to lick her luscious lips.

Oh, how well Clark remembered enjoying one specific dessert with Lois before his children came along. He felt himself grow hot, but fortunately for his equilibrium the elevator arrived and he hustled the family inside, pressing the appropriate button for the basement car park.

"Gramma Ellen bought special Christmas Crackers at Nieman's," Clara informed the group, her mind still on Christmas dinner.

"Nieman Marcus!" Clark's eyebrows rose in speculation. "I bet they cost an arm and a leg!"

"Well, you know my mother, Clark," Lois grumbled, though her tone was a great deal more indulgent than once it had been when discussing her mother. "Nothing but the best!"

"What the heck are Christmas Crackers anyway?" Joel asked, his interest tweaked.

Clara gave a puzzled shrug. "Beats me! She said it was something she saw in some fancy store in London when she and Grandpa stopped off there."

"Maybe they're a bit like cookies," Joel suggested helpfully, "though they probably don't taste as good!"

"Well, of course they don't, stupid!" Julian couldn't hide his laughter or his knowledge of the mysterious items. "They're made of colored paper and cardboard, and when you pull them they go bang! Then you find paper hats and funny little prizes inside."

"No kidding?!" Joel's eyes opened incredulously.

"If Mother bought them at Nieman's, I'd expect diamonds inside!" Lois speculated, bringing that conversation to a close.

There was a few minutes silence as the family waited for the car to descend the final few floors, until Joel cleared his throat and raised his face to his parents. Evidently he had something of importance to say.

"Mom, Dad, it's been a good afternoon. We all had a great time." A concentrated frown marred Joel's clear brow. Sometimes he got a little tongue-tied when he tried to put his feelings into words. "But these poor kids don't have anybody to care for them... no grandparents to look after them and buy them nice things, no sisters or brothers to play with... or Moms and Dads to love them. I'd hate to be on my own like that! So I think we're the luckiest kids in the world to have you."

"I'd second that," Julian said, nodding his head in firm agreement and smiling up at the only parents he'd ever really known.

Tears sparkled on Clara's long eyelashes and she blinked them away. "Ditto!" she announced gruffly, wrapping her arms around Lois.

"Me too! Me too!" Nathan was not to be left out and he bounced up and down in the centre of the group. Clark bent down to scoop up his youngest child as the doors slid open.

"I think we're all very lucky to have each other." Clark's statement was indeed heartfelt. This had been a terrifying year, even by Superman's standards. There had been times when he'd been afraid of losing many members of his family.

Lois swallowed a giant-sized lump which had risen in her throat. The echo of Clark's thought touched her soul and she too felt very blessed that she was surrounded by all those she loved. "Come on guys, let's go home! Christmas isn't over yet; we still have lots of time to have fun!"

And from a onetime confirmed hater of Christmas that was a massive change of heart. Yet Lois realised with a lifting of her soul that she had finally come to see Christmas through her dearest husband's eyes and that it truly was magical!

The End