Three
by Wanda Detroit

The next installment in my real-time pregnancy series is here... Thanks to my super BRs, Stopquitdont and Julie Stars! Enjoy! Feedback is appreciated! -W.D.

All of the chairs had been cleared out of the meeting room at the local community center in preparation for Lamaze class. Lois and Clark entered the room hand-in-hand. There were a dozen blue mats on the floor, and some couples had already sat down and made themselves comfortable. Lois guided Clark towards a mat in the back of the room.

The instructor stood up front. She was not hard to spot. She wore bright purple leggings and a blousy bohemian top. Her arms were loaded with bizarre bracelets that jingled when she moved her hands (something she did quite frequently). Frankly, she looked more like a gypsy than a Lamaze instructor. She wore a perpetual smile on her face, and felt compelled to say “Welcome” to each individual that walked through the door.

Sitting down on the floor on a mat wasn’t the most comfortable thing in the world, Lois noted, frowning. As if her lower back didn’t hurt *enough*! She looked over at a stack of spare mats and then up at Clark. “Honey? Do you think you could get another one? Maybe if I sat on two...”

Clark nodded understandingly, and started to lift an extra mat from the stack. He began to drag it to where Lois was sitting.

“Clark,” the instructor said sharply, reading his name from the name tag she’d pasted on each person. “Only one mat, please.” She waved her finger, as if to scold him.

“Uh... sorry,” Clark said, embarrassment spreading across his face. Lois shrugged as Clark sat down beside her.

Minutes later, after more expectant couples joined the crowd, the instructor began her class. “My name is Marina. Today we’re going to talk about making a birth plan,” she announced. She took out a marker and began to write topics on a large white dry-erase board.

Clark turned to Lois. “Should I be writing this down?” he whispered.

“Don’t worry about it, Clark, we already have a birth plan,” Lois whispered back. “Remember?”

Clark was about to respond when Marina shot them both a glance. Clark was sure he hadn’t seen that look since he was caught misbehaving in the newsroom under the influence of Atomic Space Rats.

Marina went on to explain what details went into a birth plan: where it will take place, who will be present, will drugs be used. “Does anyone have a birth plan yet?” Hands went up in the air, including Lois’.

Marina called on someone. “Let’s see. Petra, would you like to share your birth plan with the class?”

“Well,” a blonde woman began, “we were planning on having a natural water birth in a pool at a birthing center.”

Marina clasped her hands together, bracelets jingling. “Very good! What about you two, Raina and Drew? What is your plan?”

“We want to deliver at home, with a midwife present, as well as our extended family.”

“Excellent. How about you two in the back--Lois and Clark?” Marina looked pointedly at them.

“Um... We’re going to go to Metropolis General,” Lois stammered.

“Just... the two of us,” Clark added.

Marina nodded. “Have you chosen a natural childbirth? Or under medication?”

“Medication,” Lois stated firmly.

“Has anyone else chosen a medicated childbirth?” Only two other hands went up. Lois blushed. Clark gave her hand a squeeze of encouragement.

“It’s important to think about these things now before the big day arrives,” Marina explained.

The class went on to demonstrate some relaxation and massage techniques. Clark was particularly good at the massage. Lois was nearly asleep when Marina’s shrill voice broke her out of her nirvana.

“Lois! You’re supposed to be *focusing!* Not falling asleep.” There was a light laugh from the group. Lois’ cheeks burned.

If looks could kill, Marina would have been a goner. To Lois’ dismay, she was still standing, and moving to the front of the room again.

“Next week, we’re going to start on the breathing techniques! I want all of you to practice the massage with your partner for the time being, and to work on your birth plans.”

Class was dismissed. Once in the car, Lois was finally able to vent.

“I think that Marina woman was picking on me!” Lois announced, more than a hint of annoyance in her voice.

“You do?” Clark seemed surprised.

“Why did I have to be the only person who wanted a nice, normal, pain-free hospital birth?”

“Lois, it’s like she said, everyone has to make their own preferences when it comes to labor and delivery.”

“What a bunch of hippies!” Lois grumbled. “When these medications are available, why not use them? Natural childbirth is overrated.”

“Lois, it’s brought babies into the world for centuries. I mean, look at the Native Americans. They used to squat in the corn fields--”

Lois crossed her arms and shot her husband a look. “Clark, I am *not* going to squat in a corn field.”

“I didn’t ask you to. I’m just saying that everyone’s choice is a legitimate one.”

“I don’t know about this class... Although I wouldn’t mind if we practiced that massage stuff. That was nice,” she sighed.

“You got it, Lois,” Clark grinned.

**The end? Not quite.... Look for "Two" in July! -W.D.**

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.