Superman’s Met His Match 2/2 - An Alternate Version

Or

Boo!

Lois tried to blink the tears away - after all, she couldn’t use her hands to scrub her eyes dry. They were still tethered to the arms of her chair. Behind her, Newcomb and St John were laughing and jeering in celebration.

They had killed Superman.

The most noble, the strongest, the most decent man in the world was dead.

And it was all her fault.

If she hadn’t got into trouble yet again, he wouldn’t have had to come to save her. And he wouldn’t have been shot and killed by that horrible Kryptonite gun.

What would the world do without Superman?

What would she do without Superman?

“BOO!”

The exclamation came from the side of the balcony. Lois’s head jerked around.

To her shock, she saw Superman hovering in the air, hands on his hips, staring at his murderers and rolling his eyes.

Her jaw dropped. Was he a ghost?

St John and Newcomb were staring at him too. And then Superman moved. In seconds, he had Lois free and his two attackers tied up with the ropes that had bound her. And the Kryptonite gun was...

...smashed to pieces.

This was no ghost.

“But... but... HOW?” Newcome demanded. Lois was still too stunned to talk.

“Uh-uh,” Superman said, shaking his head. “Trade secret.”

And suddenly he was gone, the two criminals with him.

Before she had time to yell at him for leaving her alone, he was back. And she was in his arms, cradled against his chest.

Where she belonged.

“Superman, I thought you were dead!” she wailed.

He grinned. “You should know better, Lois.”

“But how did you do it? That was Kryptonite! And I saw you fall, remember?”

“Faked it,” he said cheerfully.

“But how?

He hesitated, then said, “I guess I can tell you. I’m wearing FIAPAKA.”

“What? Feeapaka? What the heck’s that?”

“FoLC-Invented All-Purpose Anti-Kryptonite Armour.”

Lois blinked. Questions swarmed in her mind, such as what exactly a FoLC was. And how come he, or she, or they’d invented this armour. And what it was made of. But, somehow, right now that didn’t matter. Superman was alive. She was free. And she was in his arms. He couldn’t stop her without dropping her, and she knew he’d never do that. Especially not since there was a stray meerkat strolling along the road directly below them.

It would be taking advantage of him, of course. But right now she didn’t care.

She grabbed his face between her hands and kissed him soundly.

Taken by surprise, Superman lost his balance and his control. And the next thing Lois knew they were plummeting.

“AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGG - ”

~ The End ~

Just a fly-by! *waves*