One Strange Year
-or-
Kiss My Endo!

By Mary Potts
Rated PG-13

Look! It’s a miracle: I’m writing at decent hours! Okay, so the story’s nowhere near complete, but that’s besides the point. <g>

This is a response to the endometriosis challenge. I have only a vague idea where this is going, but I hope we all have a lot of fun getting there. The title and format (posting before it’s finished) are influenced by Long Strange Trip. Hopefully, though, this will be shorter. This has not been beta’ed, so any mistakes are all my fault.

Enjoy! :-)

---------------------------------------------

Lois stared at the doctor in disbelief. “En-dummy *what*?”

“Endometriosis, Miss Lane. It’s when the endometria---the lining of the uterus---appears in places where it shouldn’t. Often it causes pelvic pain and *excruciating* pain during periods.”

“And I have this?”

“We spotted it during your appendectomy and decided to get a better look. You’ve got it pretty bad, Miss Lane. Frankly, I’m surprised you haven’t complained to your OB/GYN about any symptoms!”

“Well, I’ve been busy lately, and I just haven’t had time to go in for checkups.”

“It says in your records that your last doctor’s appointment was eight years ago.”

“Yeah, well…” Lois briefly cast her eyes downward. “So what can be done about it? The Endo-whatsis?”

“Well, you’re going to have to have surgery…”

Lois groaned. “*More* surgery?”

“I’m afraid so. Both of your ovaries will have to be removed.”

“Both of my---?” Lois gasped in shock. “But---that means I’ll never---”

“---Be able to have children.” The doctor finished for her. “I’m sorry, Miss Lane.”

‘Sorry?’ Lois thought; one of her most important life-decisions had been decided for her and all the doctor could say was sorry? Lois wanted to scream! Okay, sure, she had never really *liked* children, and the thought of being a mother scared her more than all the death-threats she’d accumulated over the years put together, but still---she should at least have the option!

The doctor continued. “Before you have the surgery, though, you ought to have a break from your cycles. Sometimes induced menopause works, but I don’t thing you’re a good candidate for that procedure. You might want to consider birth-control pills. Or, of course, you could always get pregnant.”

Lois sat on the sofa with the tub of double-double-chocolate-fudge ice cream. So *this* was what it had come down to, was it? Either she could get pregnant now, when she had her great career and no man in her life, or not at all. It was a lot to take in, but the more Lois thought about it, the more sure she was of what had to be. If nature decreed that Lois Lane would never have children-----then she was going to tell nature to take its stupid decree and stick it where the sun don’t shine!

Now the only question was who did she want to be the father of her child. The thought of artificial insemination didn’t appeal to her. She wanted her baby’s father to be someone she knew, someone she could trust. She briefly considered Lex---after all, he was charming, and he would certainly provide *very* well for her and their offspring---but decided against it. Lex was too---too---too *grand*. Everything he did, he made a huge production of it. He’d probably insist on keeping her and the baby in some ridiculously oversized house complete with servants. The media would be certain to get wind of their situation, and she’d have to spend the rest of her life dodging tabloid so-called-reporters! No, Lex was out of the question. She needed someone trustworthy and most of all, discreet.

Clark was trustworthy… And she knew that he could keep a secret… But did she really want to get involved with him? Granted, he was very, very attractive---she still fondly recalled the time she had gone to pick him up at his apartment and he’d been wearing nothing but a towel---and he was charming in a naïve, farmboy-from-nowheresville kind of way. He’d also probably be a caring and doting lo---father. Yes, Clark would be a great dad, and plus there was the added bonus of grandparents who weren’t insane.

But still, Clark was out of the question. He was a *co-worker* for crying out loud, and she had learned the hard way that sex and co-workers don’t mix! Besides, he was her friend, and she didn’t want to rock that boat too much by adding a child into the equation. So no, Clark was out.

That left only one candidate…

She went to the window and opened it. “SUPERMAN!”

TBC

~•~