Page 1 of 2 1 2
#128753 05/27/04 12:48 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Posting this on behalf of a lurker, who has the following idea for any author who wants to take up the challenge and write it up:

this idea came about because of JAG's season finale, where Sarah has an unknown health problem, at least to us, the viewers. I thought the problem could be endometrosis, where the treatment would be for her to get pregnant ASAP, giving her body a rest from having cycles, or taking shots to put her in menopause for many months. Those are actual treatments, btw. Anyway, since there was no guarantee that the forced menopause would work, having this problem forces Lois to realize that she doesn't like the possibility that she might have to have a hysterectomy if the temporary menopause doesn't work, removing all chance of her having a baby in the future. Lois decides to take the pregnancy route, but, alas, who could be the father?

BTW, I realize that Clark volunteering to father a baby for Lois has already been written, but this story would add a health aspect to the situation...
LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#128754 05/27/04 01:32 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
BTW, I realize that Clark volunteering to father a baby for Lois has already been written, but this story would add a health aspect to the situation...
Where?! Where has it been written???

And what's endo-whatsis? confused

~•~
#128755 05/27/04 04:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SQD did one in Nfic on www.annesplace.com called "What are Friends For"

I just recently read it and the love scenes are yummy.

TEEEEJ

#128756 05/27/04 06:25 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Yeah! I just read that one a day or two ago. It was a VERY good read. I wish there where more like it.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#128757 05/28/04 09:39 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
It's an interesting idea. Pregnancy would give the woman a break from her menstrual cycles, but I've never heard any of the OB/Gyns that I've worked with suggest that as a treatment. The most common treatment for endometriosis is to just put the woman on birth control pills, to regulate her cycles and control the hormones.
Endometriosis is actually considered a fairly common cause of infertility - so actually most people would have difficulty getting pregnant with endometriosis.

Oh, and endometriosis is when there is endometrial tissue (the stuff that lines the inside of our uteruses and that we shed (bleed) during periods) in places that it shouldn't be - like the ovaries, on the outside of the uterus and inside the abdomen. It usually causes a lot of pelvic pain and heavy, painful periods.

Could get an interesting story out of the idea; if I had more time I'd try to play with it, but alas...

Jill goofy

Beaker: Special Talents: Scientific assistant, Victim
Last Book Read: "1001 Meeps to a Bigger Vocabulary"
Quote: "Meep! Meep! Meep!"
Never Leaves Home Without: Medical Coverage
#128758 05/28/04 10:02 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Actually, Jill, I know someone who did use that as a treatment. I'm pretty sure it was the same condition.

Basically, they said that getting pregnant would work as a temporary solution. No periods while she's pregnant, so she'd be out of danger during that time. Afterwards, they'd probably have to do some surgical work. So, she could either have one more baby or none at all.

She and her husband wanted more kids, so they agreed to try it. She had to take some fertility drugs to help the process (like you said, it's more difficult), but eventually, it did work.

Of course, with fertility drugs, you get a higher incidence of multiple births, but that didn't happen this time.

Anyway, my point is that her doc did suggest it, and it did eventually work. The situation was a lot different than they would be for this 1st or 2nd season Lois. The person I know was already married with one child. Lois isn't even dating. Still, the doc could mention it in passing, I guess, and then Lois's brain would latch onto the idea...

<shrug>

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#128759 05/28/04 11:05 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And just to further babble (because I consider talking a hobby), complete hysterectomies aren't always necessary. One of my friends had endometriosis in high school, and she just had to have one of her ovaries (or whatever you call it...science is not my forte) taken out. So she still has a chance to have a baby. But anyway, if anyone wants to take up the story...there are plenty of junkies who'll read it! Like me! goofy

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#128760 05/28/04 12:40 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
science is not my forte
dizzy Remind me what your major is again, Jen?

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#128761 05/28/04 01:00 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
We should all start nagging Tank to write this one right away.

Just a thought...

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
#128762 05/28/04 02:04 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
No

Tank (who thinks that pretty much says it all)

#128763 05/28/04 02:21 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Then again, our campaign may have to be a bit more subtle.

Oh crap!

~Tank
#128764 05/29/04 04:32 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Okay, okay, enough already, I give up. I'll write it.

So, without further ado...

Lois' Little Problem
by Tank

Lois Lane had a grim look on her face when she came off the elevator and moved toward her desk. Typically, before she'd even gotten her chair seat warm, both Clark and Jimmy were hovering next to her desk. Great, now she supposed she have to tell them, or she wouldn't get any peace.

"So, Lois, how did your doctor's appointment go?" She gave Clark credit. He may only have been her partner for a few months, but he did look concerned. "Did he know why you've been feeling poorly?"

Lois nodded. "Yeah, I've got endosomethingorother. If I don't take steps to alleviate the problem I could die."

"Gosh!" added Jimmy with his typical brilliance.

"So," Clark began. "What do you have to do?"

Lois frowned as she gazed at her handsome partner, and burgeoning friend. "The doctor says that the best course of action would be for me to get pregnant."

Clark looked shocked. Jimmy's jaw dropped. "Golly, Lois, what are you going to do?"

It was funny that Lois had never realized how annoying Jimmy's voice was before. In answer to his question, she shrugged. "Nothing."

"What?" both men exclaimed in unison.

"Let's face it." Lois spoke in a calm, level tone. "I'd rather die than have to deal with children." She turned away and booted up her computer. "Now, can we get back to work?"

the end.

Tank (who says there is nothing like a happy ending)

#128765 05/29/04 06:53 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Cute, Tank. laugh Where's your real story?

#128766 05/29/04 07:37 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Tank! thumbsup

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#128767 05/29/04 11:42 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thank you, Tank. Though short, this story had all the elements I look for in a great story.

One handsome,concerned Clark.
A slightly dim Jimmy.
An in charge and focused Lois.

Beautiful. Lyrical, even. And yes, I'll say it, you've melted me into that waffy-gooey puddle we all love to swim in.

Did I say thanks? sloppy Because, by golly, I meant it!

CC

Oh crap!

~Tank
#128768 05/30/04 03:10 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Waitaminute! This is Tank we're talking about. You're gonna let him get away with that ? No haircuts?! No Lois going through mental agony after agony that would defeat a lesser woman?!! goofy

Now on the serious side, what happened to this part?

Lois decides to take the pregnancy route, but, alas, who could be the father?

#128769 05/30/04 03:25 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LOL, Tank! goofy

~•~
#128770 06/02/04 07:18 PM
S
Blogger
Blogger
S
Coming out of lurkdom to say that as a JAG fan, the buzz in that fandom is extremely negative about the whole Mac has a "condition" thing -- the fans are speculating that it is endometriosis, but it's only speculation. After all, it's the cliffhanger for the season. I've yet to read a post on any list or mb that says anything other than "what a terrible idea." Can't really say that I like the idea as a fic for L&C either. wink

Schoolmarm

#128771 06/03/04 12:26 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Jill,

As a veteran high risk OB nurse (once), pregnancy was a temporary cure for endometriosis, which had not progressed to the adhesion state. In addition to no periods for the time of the pregnancy, there is also a shift in hormones in a good way which actually alleviates some of the complications for a short time. Surgery is usually always inevitable.
I did high risk OB for 7 years, cardiac, mother baby and now I am an OR nurse! dance

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
#128772 06/03/04 03:49 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by rivka:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> science is not my forte
goofy ...and I might change it to studio art, I'm still deciding...

Edit: Okay, I'll concede. If nothing else, I remember my organic...well...I suppose I'm still a closet chem geek.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard