Just as promised, more under a name! Please return your seats to their full upright positions and fasten you seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy ride!

Previously...

++++

“Are you serious?” Clark asked Lois with an incredulous expression on his face.

Lois, in usual fashion, crossed her arms and glared at him defiantly. Who did he think he was? Interfering in her life like this? She answered to no man, especially this one. If marrying Lex Luthor was what she wanted to do, she’d do it. The only problem was she didn’t want to. She’d also be damned if she’d let Clark know that.

“Lois,” Clark started in a softer tone. “Think about this. Do you really know him well enough to marry him?”

“That’s none of your business. What I do in my personal time is off limits!”

Clark sighed heavily. She’d just made it perfectly clear that she had a relationship with Luthor that went beyond what he’d imagined. The thought made him nauseous. How could such an intelligent woman be so ignorant when it came to the mighty philanthropist?

<<She’s ignorant about you.>> His conscience reminded him.

Another sigh to gather his thoughts and he looked at Lois sadly. “Do you love him?”

Lois could only stare at Clark. She hadn’t expected that question from him. Then again, why shouldn’t she? It was exactly something he would ask.

She dropped her arms slowly and turned to walk to the window in her living room. She stared out into the darkness, taking precious moments to gather her thoughts.

Lois was so confused. She’d been overwhelmed by Lex’s attention toward her in the beginning. He was successful, well educated, and he was taking the time out of his schedule to pursue her. If that wasn’t enough to impress any woman, she didn’t know what was.

Around the same time though, she started to notice someone else. She told herself at first that her attraction to this other man stemmed from the fact that she hadn’t had a relationship in so long. She just wanted the attention. But as the days went on, Lois became more aware of this man. His little pet peeves, his intelligence, his physical appeal, and his apparent infatuation with her were all that she thought about when she was alone. However, when she was with him, she tried her best to act as if she was oblivious to him at all. Now she couldn’t do that any more. She didn’t want to do it.

Lois turned to Clark with new resolve and determination. “No, Clark. I don’t love Lex.”

“Then why even consider his proposal?”

“Because, I was using him as a shield,” she answered flatly, her voice void of emotion in this instance.

“Excuse me?” Clark’s brows arched in confusion.

“About three months ago, I realized I was attracted to someone else. It scared the hell out of me, so I took Lex up on his offer to go out. I thought the distraction would lesson the appeal of this other man.”

Clark inwardly groaned. He was pretty sure she was talking about his alter ego and didn’t particularly want to hear this.

“It only made him more attractive.” Lois lowered her head momentarily before looking back up at Clark. “I realized a few weeks ago that I was in love with this man.”

There, she’d just confirmed his worst nightmare. He closed his eyes briefly to get hold of his raging emotions. When he opened them, Lois was standing inches from him. Suddenly his heart was pounding loudly in his ears. He didn’t want to hear her undying love for the one-sided character he’d created.

“I’ve been denying it ever since because… because I was afraid that if I admitted it, it would change things between us.”

<<Huh?>> What was she talking about now?

Lois lifted her hand to cup Clark’s cheek in her palm. “Clark, I am so in love with you,” she whispered.

<<WHAT?!!>>

Clark had to remember to breathe. Had she just said what he thought she said?

“I tried to fight it. I was at a place in my life when a relationship with anyone was just not what I needed. And when I noticed that you had an interest in me… Well, there was no way I was going to get involved with you. You’re my partner… at work. Work and romance don’t mix… at least in my experience. So, when Lex proposed, I saw a possible out.” She lifted her other hand to hold his face. “Only I don’t want out any more. I want you.”

Clark’s hands lifted to grasp her sides gently. “Please mean that,” he told her huskily.

“Every word,” she assured him before she raised up on her toes to touch her lips to his.

<<Oh god.>> Clark couldn’t believe this was happening. He had Lois in his arms, kissing her the way he’d dreamed of countless times. This was better than anything he’d ever known. This was better than flying.

He reluctantly broke their encounter on that last thought. Lois didn’t know about him. Should he tell her now? She would be angry and disappointed. Would she be hurt? Feel betrayed?
Clark had to stifle a groan when he looked down into Lois’ beautiful brown eyes. They had darkened with a desire that he’d never seen in a woman’s eyes before. Maybe one more kiss wouldn’t hurt.

He leaned down to capture her mouth with his own again as he lifted his hands to hold her face. Lois thrust her arms around his neck and poured herself into the exchange. Clark melted into her. He was in heaven. The woman he loved had just told him she loved him back and was allowing him to kiss her senseless. Or at least she was having that effect on him.

Clark was about to break the encounter again when Lois wrenched her mouth from his and planted wet kisses around to his ear.

“Make love to me, Clark,” she whispered breathlessly to him.

A shiver ran down his spine. He couldn’t do this. Not now. Not until she knew.

His legs nearly gave out from under him when she stuck her tongue into his ear. When she nibbled his lobe gently, he lost all coherent thought. He’d wanted this for far too long. He didn’t think he could stop now. She’d just rubbed his….

“Lo-is,” he hissed as he bent to lift her into his arms. A few quick steps and they were falling onto her bed. His only hesitation was when he stopped to whisper, “I love you,” in the darkness. For once in his life Clark Kent surrendered to his desires, banishing his reasoning into the far corners of his mind.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Clark traced lazy patterns over the bare shoulder beside him. Lois was lying on her stomach, looking at him, a slight smile playing on her lips.

“Does this change everything?” she asked softly after a while.

“I would hope it makes it better,” he told her before he leaned to kiss the skin he’d been stroking.

“I love you, Clark.”

“And I love you, Lois.” He smiled as he brushed her hair back off her face. “Please tell me I no longer have to worry about a certain proposal.”

Lois rolled to her side and reached out to touch his face. “You never did,” she assured him.

Thankful beyond belief, Clark leaned forward and kissed her softly. Lois was smiling when he drew away. “What?”

“I was just thinking about Lex’s expression when I tell him no. He hates to lose, you know.”

“Yeah.” Clark’s expression had turned grim. “Lois, he will be angry.”

“He’ll get over it.”

“Still…” Clark ran his hand down Lois’ arm. “I just don’t like the thought of him becoming angry with you. He’s dangerous.”

“Well, then we’ll just have to prove that to the world.” She inched closer, wrapping a leg around Clark’s and snuggling into his chest. “Right now all I want is for you to hold me.”

“Just hold?” he asked in a teasing tone.

“Mmm,” was her only response as she started to kiss his chest. Maybe holding was overrated.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Clark had a permanent smile pasted to his face and an extra lift in his step. The last few days had been the most remarkable days of his life. The woman he loved had declared her love for him. She’d allowed him to make love to her… every night since then. He’d been to her bed and she’d come to his. Life couldn’t get much better.

They were planning on a quiet evening in tonight. He would cook something and they would have a much-needed discussion. That was the only thing that worried Clark. How would Lois take it when she found out he was Superman? He hoped that eventually he’d be able to prove his love to her and she’d get over the hurt and anger he was certain she’d feel.

He punched the button for the elevator to take him to the newsroom floor, silently reliving intimate moments from the last three nights. Not even Lois’ trip to visit Luthor could deflate his happy balloon.

Luthor would no doubt be angry. He didn’t appreciate having his ego deflated by anyone. Clark was a little worried for Lois. But she wasn’t about to let Luthor interfere with her happiness right now. She sported the same smirk Clark did. It was hard to believe this was the same woman, who had just a year ago, told her partner not to fall for her because she didn’t have time for it.

The elevator doors opened onto the newsroom floor and Clark came face to face with the love of his life.

“Hi,” she told him with a smile as she entered the car.

“Hi, yourself. Where ya’ going?” Clark accepted the offered kiss after the doors slid shut.

“I’m meeting Lex for lunch. I thought it was time to tell him about us.” Lois noticed as Clark’s face drew into a frown. “Come on, Clark. You knew I had to do this.”

“I know,” he pouted. “I just wish you didn’t have to at all.”

“I know.” She stuck her arm through his and leaned into his body. “I promise not to be long and I’ll be at your place by six.”

He stopped as they stepped out of the elevator. “You’re not coming back to the newsroom today?”

“No. Perry has me going across town to write some fluff piece. Can you believe that?” Her hands waved as she told Clark about her latest assignment with disgust. Emotional pieces weren’t her strong point and her editor knew it!

“I think you sell yourself short. You’re a great writer.” He reached out to rub her arm lightly. “Even when it’s fluff pieces.” She smiled at him. “Do you want me to meet you and go with you after lunch?”

“I wish. Perry wants you to do research on the Grady case.” Lois patted his chest and smiled again. “So we’ll have to settle for dinner this evening to see each other again.”

Clark groaned loudly as she grinned at him. “The hardships,” he said with a lifted hand to his chest.

She giggled and turned to leave. Clark watched her go through the revolving door before he turned to get back on the elevator to go back upstairs. He hated allowing Lois to go see Luthor alone, but knew she’d be angry if he followed. He’d just have to trust she’d be all right alone. And if she needed him, all she had to do was yell.

He groaned again on that thought. He just hoped she’d still talk to him after tonight.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Lex smiled up at Lois as Nigel showed her into his office. “Lois, darling,” he drawled as he stood and held out his hand to her. His expression registered one of surprise when she stopped across the desk. He decided to shrug it off and enjoy his lunch. “I thought we’d eat out on the balcony.” He stepped back and held out his hand for her to go through the open door first.

Lois didn’t move. She’d had a little time to think about this lunch with Lex on the way over. She’d decided that she didn’t want to eat with this man. There was only one man that rated that kind of attention from her now and Lex was not him. She smiled to ease the tension in the room. There would be plenty of that in just a moment.

“Lex, I don’t think lunch is such a good idea.”

“Excuse me?” He turned fully to her, his expression growing confused. “Have I done something to offend you?”

“No, no.” She started to pace in front of the desk. Clark’s warning was repeating itself over and over in her head. Suddenly she wished she’d asked him to come with her. Finally, she stopped and looked up at Lex. “I can’t see you any longer.”

Lex’s brows rose into his hair. “This is sudden.”

“Actually, it’s something I’ve been thinking about for some time.”

“Would you care to tell me why?”

“I… don’t have feelings for you and it’s not fair for me to lead you on.”

Lex regarded her for a moment before he sat back down behind his desk. He busied himself with lighting a cigar so that he could get control of his anger. There had never been a woman who brushed him off and it stung, not that he’d give her the satisfaction of knowing that.

He blew out a puff of smoke before he looked back at Lois. “Lois, surely you’re just nervous because we’ve been moving so quickly?”

“I’m not nervous. I can’t see you anymore. I’m really sorry.”

Without giving Lex time to say another word, she turned and left. In the elevator on the ride back to the lobby, she wanted to kick herself for not telling him the truth. But for some reason, she couldn’t bring herself to tell Lex about her relationship with Clark. Did part of her not want to anger him? Or was she not comfortable in the relationship she was building with her partner? She immediately answered no to that question. She was completely comfortable with Clark and couldn’t be happier. Well, maybe not completely comfortable. It had been she who’d insisted to Clark that their new relationship be kept quiet for a while. She’d told him she didn’t want to tell everyone just yet and wasn’t exactly sure why. So why hadn’t she told Lex? Was she ashamed of Clark and what they were building together? No… No, she was not ashamed of Clark. She just didn’t feel Lex should be privy to her newfound happiness. She felt that belonged to her and Clark and no one else.

She smiled when she thought of her sexy partner. He was truly remarkable. She fought her feelings for him and now she couldn’t figure out why. Clark was the best thing that had ever happened to her, and Lois would spend the rest of her life showing him how much she loved him. That included telling everyone about them. That was something she’d change first thing tomorrow. With a happy, contented sigh, and thoughts of the night to come, she exited the elevator to finish her day.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Clark had thought the day would never end. By five, he was glad to be able to finally leave the Planet behind. He loved his job, but was anxious to not only hear how Lois’ lunch with Luthor had gone, but also get their discussion out of the way. After that, hopefully, they could get back to being blissfully happy.

Lois found Clark whistling as he stood at the stove cooking their dinner. “I thought we were ordering out?” she asked as she kicked her shoes off by the door.

He looked up at her and smiled. “Hey.” He couldn’t help be feel overjoyed she was comfortable enough to use the extra key he kept under the flower pot to let herself in without knocking first. He’d offer her that key tonight… maybe.

“I was tired of take-out,” he continued. “I wanted something home-cooked. How’s baked chicken, mashed potatoes, and steamed vegetables sound?”

“Mmm… delicious.” Lois licked her lips as she sniffed over the food on the stove. “It smells wonderful.” She looked at the food one last time before she gave Clark a lingering kiss.

He smiled widely when she drew away. “Now that’s the best way to start the evening.”

“Absolutely,” she agreed as she stole another kiss. She patted his chest before moving to make a drink.

“How did your lunch go?”

Lois hesitated a moment before answering his question. “Would you mind postponing that discussion until after dinner?”

Clark frowned slightly, but quickly agreed. “Sure.” He leaned to take the chicken from the oven, afraid the reason for her postponement was because Luthor had not been happy. But surely she would have told him if he had reason to worry. Then again, this was Lois he was thinking of. He pushed down his concern in order to concentrate on his lovely date. He wasn’t about to let Luthor spoil his dinner. He would taint his evening soon enough with a revelation of his own.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Lois and Clark had shared a wonderful dinner. Conversation revolved around their current stories at work. Soon enough it was time for Lois to come clean about her lunch with Lex. She knew leaving Clark hanging hadn’t been very considerate and she could also see it had taken a great deal of effort for him not to ask about it. She took a deep breath and faced him across the table.

“Clark, I told Lex that it was over.”

Clark took a sip of his wine before speaking. “How did he take it?”

“He was certain I was just anxious because we were moving too fast.” Lois wiped her mouth and leaned forward on the table. “I told him I wasn’t and that I was sorry if I’d led him on.”

“I would have thought that he’d have been a lot angrier when he found out.”

Lois was about to respond when his words registered. She pushed back from the table and quickly paced into the living room. Clark knew instantly that there was something she wasn’t telling him. As she continued to pace, it dawned on him. He rose to go stand behind her.

“You didn’t tell him about us, did you?” he asked.

She stopped and slowly turned to face him. She didn’t have to confirm his question with words. Her expression said it all. Clark’s anger rose, for what reason he wasn’t sure. All he knew was that he felt… betrayed in some way. She’d told him she loved him. Why hadn’t she been able to tell Luthor the same thing?

Lois watched as Clark twirled and went back toward the kitchen. He started snatching the empty plates from the table to carry to the sink. She hurried after him.

“Clark, please don’t be like this.”

“Like what?” he asked as he faced her again. “Excuse me for getting a little upset because you didn’t tell your boyfriend about your lover!”

“That’s not fair.”

“Isn’t it?” Clark stared at her with a stern glare. “You won’t tell anyone at work about us. I can’t even tell my parents about us. And now this? What am I supposed to think?” He was a more upset than he’d thought possible. Suddenly her not telling Luthor was more important than anything else.

Lois sighed heavily and shoved a hand through her hair. “You’re right,” she told him softly. “All my insecurities…” She turned away from him and slowly made her way back into the living room.

Clark wanted to console her, but his bruised ego wouldn’t allow it. Before either could formulate another thought, the phone rang.

Lois looked down at the ringing phone, then back at Clark as he picked up the receiver in the kitchen.

“Hello?” He listened to the caller for a moment, his expression growing serious. “Yes. No, no. We understand. Okay, Perry… Sure… We won’t.” When he finished the call, he faced Lois. “That was Perry. There’s been a break in the Thomas drug investigation. A long time source informed him Thomas has been to Port Stanley at least six times over the past two years and it’s highly unlikely the man was vacationing. He wants us on a plane to South America within the hour.”
Lois felt the sting of hot tears, knowing their conversation would have to wait. They were professionals and they had a job to do. She wiped her cheek and nodded her head. “Do you want to pick me up on the way?”

“No. Just wait. It won’t take me long to be ready.”

She didn’t answer aloud, only nodded again. He took a deep breath and went to gather his things for their unexpected trip. Clark could tell Lois was disappointed they would have to put off their conversation for now. He was just as upset as she was, but knew this case was important to them both. They’d been trying to catch a break in the Thomas case for more than a month. From the way Perry talked they would be in and out of South America and able to return to concentrate on their relationship in a couple of days. At least he hoped so.

Less then an hour later, and with not one word between them about their earlier disagreement, Lois and Clark boarded their airplane.

tbc...