Sorry it's taken so long guys, but I've had a crazy last few weeks and it's slowed my writing somewhat. Hope this will have been worth the wait. smile Oh, and Tank, it took some doing, but I was able to obtain a copy of "Power of Shazam" #10. Great guest shot! thumbsup

CHAPTER 17

The bathroom door flew open suddenly and Lois barreled in.

“L-Lois,” Clark stammered, “this is the Men’s Room!”

“So?” Lois asked glancing briefly around the room, “It hasn’t changed since the last time I was in here so what’s the big deal?”

“The last time?” Clark asked feeling confused, a feeling he was beginning to become familiar with around this woman.

“That’s not important,” Lois replied shaking her head. “Are you ok?”

“I’m fine,” Clark said a bit too quickly, but dropped his gaze as Lois’ drilled into him, her skepticism apparent.

“Well, mostly fine. I-I just felt a little dizzy is all. I might be coming down with something,” Clark added.

Lois stared into his eyes for a few moments debating on whether or not to confront him.

“Are you feeling better now?” she asked.

“Yeah, I just needed to get up and move around a bit. Whatever it was has passed now.”

“Are you sure?” Lois asked looking at him with a slightly perplexed look on her face as if trying to find something in his eyes.

As he recognized her expression Clark’s panic began to rise again and he quickly turned his face away to divert any close examination that might reveal more than just whether he was “ok” or not.

“Yeah, I think I’ve gotten my second wind.”

Lois opened her mouth to speak, but shut it again as for perhaps the first time in her life she allowed her common sense to overwhelm her urge to dig into a mystery. Instead she decided to rely on other instincts to guide her through. He wasn’t the world’s mightiest superhero now, but a colt that would bolt if he felt threatened or cornered.

“Ok,” she said allowing a smile to brighten her face as she reached out to touch Clark’s arm, “if you’re sure then do you feel like digging back into the Intergang case?”

Not for the first time Clark looked into Lois’ eyes and realized how easily he could lose himself there. This time, however, he was acutely aware of how desperately he wanted to. As she sometimes did during moments like this Lois’ expression seemed to convey an understanding of the thoughts warring in Clark’s head and she took an almost imperceptible step closer, but as he had done during dozens of these moments over the years Clark broke eye contact first. And for the thousandth time he told himself that whomever had said it was better to have loved and lost had no idea what they were talking about.

“Yeah,” he said and then allowed himself his own smile, “I think I can muster up enough gusto to dig in. Just be patient if I show some difficulty keeping up with your dazzling intellect.”

“Sure, Smallville,” Lois said punching his arm, “but only because you’re feeling under the weather today. Otherwise there would be no free rides at the Lane School of Investigative Journalism.”

“You humble me with your generosity, Ms. Lane,” Clark said returning her gentle ribbing as he started for the door. “I will endeavor to improve my performance in order to be worthy of the time you have given me.”

“Just see that you do, Smallville,” Lois replied following him toward the door and allowing herself to indulge in the urge to get in the last word. “My time is valuable you know.”

Clark’s answering chuckle told her he was graciously going to give it to her. This time. Kid’s gloves she told herself as she followed him toward her desk. She wasn’t sure how she knew it, but she was positive that this was the best way to handle things for the moment. She needed time to get to know this Clark Kent anyway. Her friend had always been a bit of a stranger to her, but now she had a frame of reference with which to judge and evaluate a lot of his seemingly odd behavior over the years.

Last night after she had stopped rocking in place while drinking and eating ice cream lost in the shock of her new discovery she had engaged in a long heart to heart with herself. Prior to this she had been ready to admit to herself that she was interested in Clark as more than just a friend and had even been prepared to pursue the issue. She had actually felt a bit excited at the prospect.

Now, she had to admit that her newfound knowledge had dampened her fervor a bit. Did she want to get involved with a man that could not only juggle planets, but walked around with the weight of them on his shoulders everyday? Someone who was called away at all hours to do everything from rescuing a kitten from a tree to stopping an intergalactic invasion. A man that was looked at by everyone in the world, including herself as the perfect example of…well…perfection. For that matter was there even a chance that such a man would want to get involved with her?

Even as she had asked herself that question she tossed it and the self-doubt out of her mind. She had looked into his eyes and had seen his reaction to her on numerous occasions. He was interested, there was little question of that, but now at least she knew what it was that kept him from pursuing that interest. He probably had just as many doubts as she did about a relationship with someone. And he probably had an even better frame of reference than she did as to the difficulties that were inherent in such a relationship.

In fact, now that she thought about it, it probably explained why he kept everyone at arm’s length. From what she knew of Superman he was an orphan from another planet. From what she knew of Clark he was an orphan as well only from Kansas. In a span of less than two decades he had lost two families. Almost literally everyone in the world that was important to him. Probably the only people that he could even talk to about himself and the things he encountered.

Ben had been right. A lot did depend on what he went home to. Unfortunately, now she knew that he went home to an empty apartment to eat meals alone in front of the TV. When he did eat. My God, she thought to herself. That’s why he had no food in his apartment. Obviously he enjoyed eating, she had seen that yesterday morning, but with no one around to prompt him he obviously lapsed at times and maybe even forgot to eat.

For all she knew, the only social contact he had with anyone where he could totally be himself was with those people she saw in that picture in his apartment. And since she saw him at least five days per week and many evenings and weekends because of shared or parallel stories she knew that didn’t happen often.

The people in the picture, she just realized. They had to be…

No, she told herself. You can’t think about that now. It’s too much. One thing at a time, Lane. One thing at a time. She would take things slow and after she got to know this new side of Clark then she would make her decision as to whether or not a relationship with him was a good idea. Until then she would take it slow and not let him know that she knew about his dual identity. The last thing she needed was for him to get some idiotic idea that she was interested in him solely because he was Superman.

OhmyGodI’minterestedinSuperman.

The thought caught her off guard and she stopped in mid-stride. It was the straw that almost broke the proverbial camel’s back. She began to feel slightly disoriented and her breath started to come a little bit faster as she started to hyperventilate.

Hearing Lois’ heartbeat suddenly elevate along with her respiration Clark turned around toward his partner to find her frozen in place staring at him a bit wide-eyed.

“Lois, are you ok?” he asked tentatively stepping toward her.

“What?” Lois asked suddenly snapping back into control of herself and calming her breathing back to a normal pace. She forced a smile on her face and addressed Clark. “Sure, just got a little dizzy there myself. I probably shouldn’t have skipped breakfast. Or maybe whatever you have is catching.”

“You looked panicked, Lois, not dizzy,” Clark responded.

“And you got your advanced psychiatric degree along with your medical license since the last time we talked, did you?” Lois said adopting a pugnacious look.

“Well, no, but I’m just saying…”

“I was dizzy. I know dizzy. I know dizzy because I sometimes get dizzy and cranky when I have female problems. Would a discussion of those things help to prove to you my familiarity with dizziness? Would you like to discuss my female problems, Clark?”

“What? No, no, I just thought…I mean…”

“You see,” Lois said pointing to his face, “that’s panicked. I didn’t look a thing like that. I was dizzy.”

Without giving him time to respond she stepped around him and continued on to her desk where she sat down. Clark swallowed once and then followed her and sat down in the chair next to her desk.

“Ok, where do you want to begin?” he asked.

“Well, if either one will agree to it we probably need to talk to Black Adam and if possible Floyd Lawton.”

“I doubt if either would agree even if their attorney’s would let them and I don’t think Lawton would agree to talk to me in any case,” Clark said.

“Only if he thought he could arrange for it to be in a dark room with him armed and you tied up,” Forrest Hagen said as he approached the two from behind.

“Mister District Attorney,” Lois said turning to the newcomer, “to what do we owe the pleasure of this visit?”

“I wanted to stop by and see if you had found out anything new that could be of use.”

“Nothing more than we’ve already told you,” Clark said. “Failing talking to the our two super-villains I think our next move needs to be tracking down Marcus Styles. Has your office come up with any leads to him yet?”

“Only a list of sixty-three Marcus and or Mark Styles in the Metropolis phonebook. We’re working to narrow down that list somewhat. We figure the 73 year old retired postal worker over on Perez can be ruled out.”

“The efficiency of the Judiciary branch of government is awe inspiring to behold in its investigative skills,” Lois said with a sarcastic smirk on her face.

“Well,” Hagan responded, “we don’t have the expertise of you hotshots here at the Planet, but we get by the best way we can.”

“Anytime you need lessons just let me know,” Lois said. “My rates are cheap.”

“I’ll keep that in mind, Lane,” Hagan said with a scowl. “In the mean time don’t forget to keep me apprised of any progress you make. I want these jerks shut down.”

“Yeah,” Lois said, “it probably wouldn’t bode well for your gubernatorial campaign if it became public knowledge that you couldn’t clean up your own backyard, would it.”

“Dammit, Lane, it’s not all about politics. Sure I want to be elected, but these monsters need to be shut down because they're pure evil. They buried a three-year-old girl alive. Can you imagine being that young and being locked up in a box in the dark?”

Mother

The word flashed through Clark’s mind like a dagger being driven into his brain. Neither Lois nor Hagan noticed his eyes glaze over for a moment as something more than a thought, but not quite a full memory came unbidden to the forefront of his mind.

“I mean, Jesus,” Hagan continued, “what kind of thing does that do to a kid? What kind of memories is she stuck with?”

Mother!

The word flashed through his mind again and he recognized his own voice screaming it in his native tongue. It was accompanied by that feeling he had experienced earlier of being closed in and for a moment he saw himself in some kind of enclosed space that shook and rattled and he again heard the sound of something like rocks striking the walls around him. This time, however, he also felt pinned to his chair and unable to raise his arms due to the pressures of acceleration. Blind panic was the only name he could give to the feeling that assailed him.

“Kent? Are you ok?”

Clark suddenly came back to reality as he became aware of Forrest Hagan leaning in towards him and felt Lois’ hand clutch his.

“Clark?” she asked both looking and sounding concerned as she squeezed his hand.

“What? Oh, yes, I’m fine. I guess I sort of zoned out there for a second.”

“Zoned out?” Hagan said. “You were actually starting to shake.”

“I’ve been feeling sick today,” Clark replied. “I think I may be catching the flu or something.”

“Well,” Hagan said looking somewhat skeptical, “I guess it is the cold and flu season. Just make sure you’re well enough to testify against Lawton when he comes up for trial.”

“Don’t worry, Hagan,” Lois replied for Clark, “that’s something we’re both looking forward to.”

Hagan nodded once absently and turned as if starting to leave.

“Oh, before I forget,” he said. “Has Maxwell tried to contact you again?”

“No,” Clark answered. “Why? Have you heard anything from him?”

“No, I just thought that if he tried to contact you once then he would again.”

“Well, I think that was simply because Intergang had him cornered,” Clark answered. “If we hear from him again it’ll probably only be if he’s in similar circumstances.”

“Yes,” Hagan said nodding thoughtfully, “you’re probably right. Well, anyway good hunting in regards to Styles, but don’t approach him alone. Let us know where he is and we’ll pick him up. I’ll see about letting you talk to him after he’s been booked.”

“Sure, Hagan,” Lois said adopting a doubtful look, “we’re used to all of the sterling cooperation from the MPD. Trust us, we won’t get within 100 yards of Styles.”

“I mean it, Lane. If he’s Intergang he could be dangerous. At the very least he probably has Wilson looking out for him. If you want the next murder I prosecute to be yours feel free to ignore me.”

“We hear you, Hagan,” Clark said standing up and interposing himself between Hagan and Lois before she could say anything else. ‘We’ll let you know what we find.”

Hagan nodded and then headed for the exit. Clark turned and gave Lois a hard look.

“What?” she asked.

“Do you really think it’s a good idea to needle the D.A. like that?”

“I can’t help it. He gets on my nerves.”

“All public officials get on your nerves.”

“True, but politicians are the worst.”

“He’s been a good D.A. so far, Lois. He’ll probably make a good Governor.”

“Well, from the polls I’d say we’ll definitely get the chance to find out. He still gets on my nerves though.”

Clark rolled his eyes heavenward and uttered a silent prayer.

“Hey,” Lois said changing the subject, “you did seem to space out there for a second. You sure you’re ok?”

Clark lowered his eyes and looked into hers for a second before answering.

“Yeah, I am. Just a bit under the weather is all. I’m sure it’ll pass.”

“Well,” Lois said drawing the word out, “if you’re sure.”

Mother

This time it was a bit less startling and Clark’s reaction less obvious. He closed his eyes for a second and willed himself to concentrate on the woman in front of him.

“Yeah, I’m sure. Don’t be such a mother hen,” he said with a slight grin.

“Ok, but only if you’re sure. You could always take the day off you know. I could follow up on Styles myself.”

“Oh, no, Ms. Lane,” Clark said shaking his head. “Hagan is right about one thing. There’s little doubt that Styles will be dangerous and an even bigger chance that Wilson will be with him. Whither thou goest so do I.”

“You think I can’t take care of myself?”

“Against Wilson I’m not sure that we could take care of each other, but I still would feel better if we did it as a team.”

Lois broke into a wide smile at that.

“So would I partner, so would I.”

They stared into each other’s eyes for a second and each felt that now familiar tugging. This time though Lois was the one to break eye contact first.

“Ok, any ideas about how to find Styles before the crack team of phonebook detectives solve the riddle?”

Clark smiled. “Elementary, dear Watson. We start with the people who probably already know him.”

Lois’ face lit up.

“The list of new city contract holders,” she said. “Somebody in each company was probably contacted the same way Maxwell was.”

“And if we can convince one of them that the gig is up and their only hope is to turn State’s evidence they may lead up down the yellow brick road…”

“Straight to the Wizard,” Lois finished.

The two looked at each other smiling for a second and then turned toward the newsroom and yelled in unison.

“Jimmy!”

TBC…

Did is a word of achievement
Won't is a word of retreat
Might is a word of bereavement
Can't is a word of defeat
Ought is a word of duty
Try is a word of each hour
Will is a word of beauty
Can is a word of power

--Author Unknown