The Woman in My Life
Stopquitdont@bellsouth.net
May 2004
PG

This bit is pure fluff; one that screamed to be written after I heard a song. Can't get enough of those! Many, many thanks to L. Satcher, D. Cook, and B. Regan, without whom this wouldn't have been written.

The characters in this piece come from another fic I wrote and posted a few months back: Chip Off the Old Clark. It's kind of follow-up, or check up, on what's happening later in their lives. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to understand this without having read the other fic first though.

Mostly, this story is a tribute to all you moms out there. I'm the proud mother of four wonderful kids and I'm constantly surrounded by kids. Sure, I often think about life without them-- how quite it would be-- then they do something to make me swell with pride.

And thinking of being a mom makes me think *of* my mom. She's the best! So, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, ladies!

All disclaimers apply.

++++

Lois cursed under her breath as she dodged another obstacle to make it to her desk. Her workload might be easier these days, but her life was still just as hectic. Reporting for the Planet had been replaced by a regular column that had eventually been syndicated. All night stake-outs were replaced by late night bedtime stories in her and Clark's bed with their children. Though Robin, Laney, Jon and Wyatt were their most treasured gifts, there was still that occasional longing for a juicy story that her editor was only happy to see her by-line on. She'd traded her hard core work related existence for a life of love and happiness with her partner and had not been disappointed. Their life was good; one Lois would not trade for all the Pulitzer Prizes in the world. Funny how a hard-nosed, successful career woman had been replaced by 'super mom'.

It was hard to believe it had been over eleven years since Lois had started her incredible new life. Of course, Clark had worked hard to gain her friendship and trust, enduring a couple years of heart wrenching patience until she was ready to admit what a wonderful man her partner truly was. 'It was well worth the wait,' Clark had told her countless times. Lois would never understand why she'd denied how she felt for so long. Looking back, Clark Kent had captured her heart long before she gave in to the intense love that had consumed her heart. When she finally had, history was set on the perfect course.

Of course, theirs was not always a perfect life. Obstacles lay at every turn, including one she'd thought to be huge when she'd first heard about it. With months to go till their wedding, Clark received a call that led to the discovery of a son he'd never known existed. Lois had been so sure that child would ruin their lives that she'd implied Clark allow the boy to be adopted by his foster parents. When Clark explored that idea, the realization of how he really felt about her hit home with resounding clarity. It also helped that she'd seen a photograph of that incredible boy. From the first look, Lois had been hooked.

'If you love someone, you love *all* of them', she'd said to Clark on his balcony so long ago. That statement seemed so inadequate now. What she felt for Clark was something she couldn't describe, and she really didn't want to. That love extended to Clark's son with all-consuming emotion the likes of which Lois had never known before. She'd fallen in love with another man and that's all there had been to it.

In December, two short months after finding out about Robin, Lois and Clark were married. A year later, Lois received the most precious gift she'd ever gotten. She became Robin's legal mother as a Christmas gift from the men in her life. Robin had captured her heart the first time she met him; she'd been his mother from that day on, but to see her name on his new birth certificate gave her a sense of accomplishment she'd never received from any story. Lois Lane had found something better than chocolate.

Although Robin was joined by a baby sister three years later, he was still just as vital to Lois as breathing. Only two years later twins, two boys, became the latest members of the Kent family. Still, the relationship with Robin was one Lois had never been able to explain or feel she had to. He was special to her, just as all her children were, yet in a way he was different.

And tonight he was graduating high school. He was class valedictorian as well. Lois was so proud she'd talked of nothing else for the past week. Clark took great pleasure in listening to her talk about her son, their son. Lois was his life and nothing pleased him more than just to see her smile.

She had just sat down when her phone rang. "Lois Lane-Kent."

"Hey, beautiful."

Lois smiled at the sound of his voice. "Robin."

"Mom, I'm so nervous. Won't you please help me with my speech?"

"Robin, you know we talked about this. I think your speech should reflect *your* thoughts."

"Mom... do you know how much I love you?"

"Not as much as I love you."

"Are you sure you'll be okay when I leave next week?"

"Oh, Robin. I will miss you horribly, but I have to let you go some time."

"No you don't." Robin choked back a sob.

"Robin," Lois breathed through her own tears. "Hey, don't make your mother cry."

"Okay. I'll see you tonight."

"I'll be the one with the video camera on the front row."

"Okay, Mommy. I love you."

"Love you." She replaced the receiver with a teary smile. She loved it when Robin still called her Mommy sometimes. She hated he had to leave this summer, taking an internship in Washington, but she would never let him go. He was part of her heart and without him, she'd find it hard to continue breathing.

Lois was fidgeting in her seat. She was just as nervous if she were the one graduating and giving the speech.

"Honey, relax."

"I can't help it, Clark. My baby is graduating."

"He's not a baby any more."

"He'll always be my baby."

"Mommy, there's Robin," Wyatt told her. His little hand was waving at his brother where Robin stood off to one side of the assembly awaiting the start of graduation.

Robin just had to see her. When she turned and made eye contact, he felt a flood of relief. He smiled and waved at his brothers and sister. Soon he followed in line with his class to his spot on stage.

Lois was absolutely beaming when they announced his name as valedictorian.

Robin stepped up to the podium and smiled down at his family. Laney was holding the video camera to her eye. Uncle Jimmy was rubbing off on her, he thought. He flashed a gorgeous smile, then met his mother's eyes while he waited for the applause to die down.

"Thank you. When I was first told that I would be given this honor, I was overwhelmed. I had no doubt that I could have accomplished such a feat because that's the way I was raised. I've had an incredible support system. What I feared was having to make this speech."

He paused as soft laughter rippled through the crowd. "I begged my mom to help me write my speech. She told me just this morning that my speech should reflect my thoughts. Well, that's easy. My thoughts seldom roam from the things that mean the most to me; my family. However, tonight I want to talk about someone very special to me. My feelings might not reflect upon my achievement to all of you, but for me, there's no choice where the largest portion of credit should lie for the man I've become."

He took a deep breath and started speaking with an air of certainty that he'd lacked only moments before.

"There's a incredibly special person in my life, a woman. She's the one my heart was made for and that's the way it's always gonna be. She's there when I need her; my own guardian angel. The woman in my life has a way of smiling that can turn a gray sky blue. Even in the dark I can see her here by my side."

Lois felt pride that he could have such strong feelings for his girlfriend. He hadn't told her he felt so strongly for Jordan. She refocused so she wouldn't miss anything.

"You see, I have to talk about the woman in my life because no matter how high I climb, she guides me safely back to Earth. It's just like her without trying, to make the whole world new. Sometimes she kisses me and whispers, "Darling, this day was made for us."

"The woman in my life has made me the man I am today. She's there when I need her, always pushing me to succeed. With a gentle touch, she can awake my very being.

"The woman in my life says I'm the one she prayed for and all she's ever gonna need. Whether she's holding me like a baby when I'm hurt, or kicking me into shape when I'm out of line, she's the reason I'm here today."

Robin took a deep breath and looked directly at his mother. "Now I understand just why my dad is crazy about the woman in my life." He waited for Lois to acknowledge that she knew he was talking about her. "I love you, Mom." He eased from behind the podium and jumped to the ground to present Lois with the rose he'd been holding. To Robin, there was no doubt that without Lois Lane, he would never have accomplished so much. His friend, his confidant, his mentor, his disciplinarian, his playmate, his teacher--- she'd been all those and so much more. It was only fitting he tell everyone that Lois was the reason for his success.

Lois stood and was immediately engulfed in her son's embrace. He drew back and rested his head against hers, the same way his dad often did when he wanted her to feel his love. They laughed as the sound of applause rose from the crowd. Robin Kent had delivered several touching speeches over the years. Today was no different... even if the meaning would only be completely clear to the family that was allowed to share life with Robin and Lois.

Lois clapped the loudest of everyone there when Robin was presented with his diploma. He smiled and offered it out to her.

"Did you get it, Laney?" Lois asked her video wielding daughter.

"I got it, Mom. Go, Robin!"

Lois turned an exuberant smile to Clark. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and dropped a kiss on her head. So much had changed since the first time they'd met their son in a park. Though seemingly perfect, Robin hadn't come into their family without his share of emotional baggage. But Lois had risen to the challenge, lavishing all the love she had inside her onto the small boy they now saw before them as a man. And Clark never tired of watching them together.

"I can't tell you how proud I am of you," Lois told Robin as she smiled up at him. The ceremony had concluded and the young man was receiving congratulations from his family. Even both sets of grandparents had come out to share this day with him.

Robin could only smile as he looked down at his mother. This woman had been the shelter a small boy had craved from the storm of uncertainty his young life had been following his biological mother's death so long ago. Lois had gained his trust almost immediately and that was something that had never changed. She'd been there, unselfishly sacrificing everything for him. And even with three other children- younger children- in their family, Robin had always felt cherished by his mother. His father was great, but his mother... she was special.

"I would have never thought Lois would have become such a fantastic mother. She's done a wonderful job if she can inspire such an emotional speech," Ellen observed as she hugged her grandson.

"Mom has loved me the only way she knew how: with her whole heart and soul," Robin told his grandmother as he exchanged a glance with Lois.

Ellen could only beam at her children, all of them. These people had changed her life with their love and not a day went by that she failed to pay them the credit they deserved.

"Ah, boy, you're going to have a wonderful life," Jonathan told Robin as he patted the boy's shoulder, his pride shining as brightly as everyone else's.

"I already have, Papa," Robin told the eldest Kent man. He smiled once again at his mom, then pulled her into a hug as if to reaffirm his relationship with her. No explanation was needed though. Lois knew what she meant to Robin and she understood his need to be clingy today. His graduation marked the end of his childhood and the start of his adult life. In a week, Robin would venture out into the world on his own and while both looked forward to the future, neither really wanted to separate. She drew out of the hug to usher everyone to the car. She'd planned a party at the Planet for their graduate. She was ready to show him off.

Lois found Robin sitting on the dock on the small pond behind their modest home on the outskirts of Metropolis a week later. He had been reading what appeared to be an old newspaper, but looked up when he saw her.

"Hi," she told him.

"Hi."

"May I?" she gestured to the spot next to him.

"Of course."

"Robin, it's okay to remember."

He smiled at her. "You know me too well."

"She was your mother."

"No. You're my mom."

"I know, honey. But Kim was the mother who gave you life. It's okay for you to remember her, miss her, and love her."

"I'm just a little sad. I can't recall much about Kim now."

"Honey, I don't think you'll ever really forget her." Lois pulled Robin closer with an arm wrapped around his waist. "She's ingrained into your very being. Part of what makes you who you are is because of her. I miss Kim and I never even knew her. I thank God every day that she had you; that you were what she needed at the time."

He turned and cupped her cheek in gesture so like his father. Sometimes it amazed Lois how much like Clark he was. "Don't you know I was born because I was what *you* needed?"

"Do you know how much I love you?"

"Not half as much as I love you," he whispered his reply and allowed his mother to hug him tightly.

Beside them the paper fell open. Pictures of a tragic car accident graced the pages of a local newspaper in a small town in Oregon. 'Young Mother Dies' proclaimed the title. Further down was a small black and white picture of Kim Logan. Robin had thought about her a lot and was glad to talk with his mom about his feelings. Guilt over loving both women had long since faded because of his assurance of Lois' love for him. Yet, he was very grateful his mom was there to talk with. As he grew into manhood, his thoughts often drifted to the woman who had given him life.

"I do love her," Robin said softly as he sat back to look out across the pond.

"So do I," Lois told him truthfully. She intertwined her fingers with his, savoring a final sunset with her son before he set out on his own. Things would be different tomorrow; Robin would be gone. For the first time in eleven years, Lois would sleep without her son in the house. It was unnerving, confusing. Lois was even terrified of life without him. Of course, she'd never be without him. And that was because of another woman.

Yeah, she thought as she glanced at Robin's profile. Instantly many, many wonderful memories of her time with him flooded her mind. She really loved Kim.