From Chapter Fourteen:

Lucy and her husband came along and saved the day. “Mother, you’re coming back with us. We have a suite with an extra bedroom. Let the newlyweds have their privacy,” Lucy said, giving Lois the “thumbs up” sign as she ogled her now brother-in-law, Clark Kent/Superman.

“Thanks, Lucy, you’re a doll. We’ll see you tomorrow,” Lois said.

“What do you say, wife o’mine? Ready to blow this place and see if you like my bachelor pad enough to stay there for awhile?” Clark asked.

“Let’s do it, Mr. ‘Lane’!” Lois said with a sly grin. Maybe she would ask Clark to change *his* name to Lane. HA HA. Clark Kent Lane. Had a nice ring to it.

Clark smiled to himself. The telepathy had returned. He “said” back to Lois, {“no thanks, I have my career established under the name Clark Kent. Wouldn’t do to change it now”}.

Lois “heard” Clark in her head and laughed. Then the realization of what that might mean hit her hard. She forced herself not to “think” about anything for the moment. She became very quiet.

The party was still going strong when they said their goodbyes to everyone and flew to 344 Clinton St.

Chapter Fifteen

They landed on the balcony of Clark’s apartment and soon, Lois was scrutinizing Clark’s former “Bachelor Pad “.

“Not bad, definitely needs a woman’s touch. Clark, do you cook, because I really don’t,” she admitted.

“Actually, I’m pretty good, if I do say so myself. Years of fending for myself,” Clark explained.

Lois wandered over to the table where Clark had family-type pictures displayed. With horror, she stared at an 8x10 blowup of a woman in a crowd…. it was the picture of her “doppelganger” that had kept Clark going for the last seven years.

“Omigod!!! This is *me*, with a short haircut, that is,” Lois shrieked. “When was this taken? I know I’ve never worn my hair *that* short! This must be that *other* Lois”…………….

“Oh God, I knew we should have had this conversation before we got married,” Clark mumbled. “Why didn’t I hide that picture before I left for Brazzaville?”

“Clark Kent…………I *know* you told me there was a woman who looked like me…blah, blah, blah….but I guess I didn’t really believe it until I saw the picture. Omigod”………………Lois continued, calmer now.

“Lois, it’s after 2:00 a.m.. It will take me a long, long time to explain all the bizarre things that have happened to me in the last seven years. Can we make a deal? How about we take this coming weekend in Smallville to hash it all out there?”

“Your folks know about her too?” Lois asked.

“My “folks” are from a *different* alternate universe that *this* Lois was from. A world where you and I are ….dead. My foster parents from *this* earth died when I was ten years old.”

Lois’ eyes widened. “Oh, Clark, I’m so sorry. And…you said *we’re* dead in that world? Do I want to know why?”

“Yikes, it’s so complicated. It’s so…..messy to explain,” Clark said. “I know if someone told me the story I’m going to have to tell *you*, I would think they were crazy too. But then again, how can you explain a man that can fly?”

“I guess anything *is* possible, Clark. You’re right, I’m tired, and I hope your bed is more comfortable than that *thing* we tried to sleep on at Le Meridien. Maybe we’ll be looking at new mattresses tomorrow,” Lois joked.

“One more thing, Clark - about the telepathy thing. Can you turn it on and off like your other powers or is it *on* all the time?”

“It makes you uncomfortable, doesn’t it? I think it kicks in like adrenalin does - as needed, for emergencies. I didn’t hear your thoughts until your conversation with Boyle made you really nervous. I felt your fear before I actually knew what you were thinking. Maybe an emotional response opens some type of mental portal between us?”

“Well, there was no ‘emergency’ back at the hotel just now, and you “heard” me think how cool it would be for you to change your last name to ‘Lane’…..”

“That’s true. Something must trigger it. I’m sure I can work on turning it on and off. But, it’s certainly a great thing to have if either one of us is in trouble, though, Lois…you have to admit!”

“Yes, it sure did come in handy back there at the hotel when I was having dinner with Mark. I hope you don’t think I’m trying to hide something from you, Clark. I just think there should be *some* mystery between a man and woman – that’s all,” Lois explained, all the while trying not to think about her “deal” with the mysterious Lenny Thorul.

“Well, Ms. Kent-Lane,” Clark said, smiling and picking up his new bride, “May I float you over the threshold?”

“You may, Mr. Kent-Lane,” she replied, kissing him as they levitated to the bedroom.

While Lois was undressing and washing up for bed, she kept up a running chatter with Clark who was anxiously waiting for her to join him in bed. It was so nice to have a real, rather than an imaginary, Lois in his life. Cuddling with her at night and smiling at her beautiful face in the morning was beginning to be a lovely habit. One he never, ever, wanted to live without.

“Oh, and Clark?” Lois gurgled as she tried to talk and brush her teeth at the same time.

“Yes, Lois, honey?” [She’s just so cute, she can’t stop talking for a minute!]

“I’m getting my hair cut tomorrow. Just like the style *that* Lois had. I think she looked “hot” with short hair. What do you think?”

“Lois - long, medium, short…you’re “hot” with any length hair. And I know just the salon to bring you to,” Clark said. “Les Coiffeurs de Wilson”, on 67th St. My ex-fiancée, Lana, went to them when she lived in Metropolis, and she had impeccable taste.”

“Ex-fiancée? This is the Lana who is married to some friend of yours, Pete, now? And you guys are still friends?”

“That’s another *long* story, Lois. Come to bed! I’m going to make it worth your while,” he promised.

“OK, be right there, and it better be,” she warned, “because I’m *really* tired.”

====================

Metropolis,
Next Morning

Morgan Edge had called an emergency meeting of his management team. The “management team” of Intergang, not of Edge Enterprises. However, there certainly was some overlap between the members of both teams.

It was rare to have all members together, since several of them operated out of the San Diego area. Usually a conference call on speakerphone to the West Coast was employed for their meetings.

But this time, it wasn’t necessary. Leonard Thorul had flown in to Metropolis several days ago to handle the acquisition of the Daily Planet. William Church, Jr., his Assistant, had traveled east as well, but for a more personal, family reason. His wife’s sister had just come home from the Congo after ten long years.

“Ok,” Edge began, “the first order of business is this “April Fools’ Day” disaster. One of the biggest screw-ups I have *ever* seen.

“Thorul, I thought you said his powers would be gone for 48 hours? Not only *didn’t* the plane hit the building with Lane and Superman in it, they’re both huge heroes now and the building’s still standing.”

“You’re right………it was a *big* screw-up. In the past, the Boy Scout’s powers were gone for two full days. Maybe when you’re in love, they come back faster or something,” Thorul remarked sarcastically.

“There were documents in that building that needed to be destroyed. Items that could have linked you – us - to Luthor. We would have received federal tax dollars to rebuild. We could have made it taller and more majestic than the Metropolis trade tower! And, there wouldn’t have been too many employees in the building at nighttime. It would have been perfect.

“You’re going to have to come up with a Plan B, Thorul. I’ll expect a full game plan from you at our next meeting! It needs to address all of these issues.”

“Yeah, I’m working on it. I only told Lane the whole story because she was supposed to be dead within 24 hours. I think I have her running scared, but we’re going to have to watch her like a hawk. See if we can bug her computer at work and their apartment.”

“I can put a transmitter on her computer, but bug Superman’s apartment? Sorry, been there, tried it; can’t be done. He can hear the ultra-frequency of the transmitters,” said David Chausse, Intergang’s resident computer/technology guru.

“Then put a long – range camera on their living room with a satellite transmitter. I’ll read lips, if I have to,” instructed Edge.

“You got it, boss,” said Chausse.

“What about the two terrorists?” asked Thorul.

“They’re going to mysteriously escape from custody in the next several days, never to be seen again,” Edge said.

“And Will…..now that you’re in with the “super” family, I expect a report from you every week. I want details! Lots of details! I *love* details!”

Will Church, Jr., looked at Edge square in the eye and said, “You got it. You know, Lucy and I may even move back East so she can be closer to her sister.” He looked at Lenny. “Think you can transfer me back here?”

“Absolutely. I hear we’re about to purchase a major-league newspaper,” he winked.

“Now, who’s going to take out the snitch? I heard he’s already trying to cut a deal to try to bring us down. I think another suicide might be in order.”

“Yeah, I’ll take care of it,” Will said. “It’ll be one of my first official duties back here.”

“Did he get the job done before his own cousin fired him? I just love the irony of it all,” mused Edge.

“Yep, the virus in the Planet’s computer will start tonight. It will wipe out their entire server. Even with their off-site tape backup storage, it will be days before they can publish again. In the meantime, Olson’s investment in the Planet will be deemed worthless and he will be forced to sell to Edge Enterprises, by way of LNN,” Thorul advised. “I’ve got the paperwork all ready for his signature. Welcome back Lois Lane, you have a new boss – again!”

“Your plan to make her life a living Hell *is* almost better than killing her, I have to admit,” Edge said to Thorul. “I guess evil thoughts *are* hereditary.”

“Speaking of evil, when is Nigel coming back to the States?” asked Church Jr.

“After his plastic surgery. Probably won’t be here for at least a month, after the bandages are taken off,” Thorul said. “Maybe longer. Depends on the healing process, I guess.”

“So who’s he going to be now?”

“Mark Boyle’s older brother, Phillip Boyle. It turns out that Mark did have a brother named Phillip who recently died of cancer. Mark gave the plastic surgeon his brother’s picture and he’s going to do his best to make Nigel look like his twin.”

“By the way, Morgan, word on the street is that John Olson’s reconciled with his son. Mayor White got them together,” Chausse informed Edge.

“Well, good, the sins of the father are going to be bestowed on the son. How utterly perfect,” Edge remarked. “Maybe Plan ‘B’ will be more fun than Plan ‘A’, after all.”

====================

James had told Lois and Clark not to bother reporting for work until the following Monday. He realized Lois needed to go shopping for a new wardrobe and get somewhat settled. It appeared that their honeymoon would be in – Kansas, of all places. Clark had promised Lois an afternoon back on Paradise Island later in the week. That would be their mini-honeymoon. Friday morning in the Fiji Islands; Friday night – Smallville, Kansas. What a contrast that would be!

“Clark? Let’s go. I can’t wait to get rid of this hair,” Lois declared. “I’m going to lose weight just by getting all this cut off! I won’t have to diet for at least a year.”

“Right here, honey,” he said, creeping up behind her and kissing her neck. “I guess I’m literally going to have to kiss your hair goodbye,” as he grabbed her freshly – conditioned smelling mane, rolled it up into a bun, and kissed it, breathing in the scent of her as he did so. “Let’s go get this over with.”

Lois brought the picture of the *other* Lois with her to show the stylist how she wanted her hair to be cut. Since it was a Wednesday morning, “Les Coiffeurs de Wilson” was able to take her as a walk-in. Because it was a very high-class salon, there was a waiting room with fresh coffee and magazines for Clark to hang out in while he waited for his wife. He did slip out for five minutes or so to do a cursory patrol of Metropolis. It seemed strangely quiet out there this Wednesday morning.

The hairdresser remarked on how long her hair was. “Madame, when is the last time you’ve been to a salon? You hair has no body, long like this. It doesn’t flatter your beautiful face at all. Why would you let it get this long?” he pressed.

“Monsieur, like the song goes, ‘Nobody’s Seen the Trouble I’ve Seen’. Let’s just leave it at that, OK?” she replied.

“Oui, Madame.” He studied the photograph Lois had brought. “Since your hair was so short in this picture, it must have been a long, long time ago,” he remarked.

“Oui, Monsieur, it was like 1996,” Lois said. [Wow, we *are* like twins. I can’t wait to hear the whole story now. Maybe I’ll get to meet her some day, too.]

“Well, I will style it very much like this picture, but I have to update it a bit for the 21st century; that is, if you don’t mind, Madame,” he suggested.

“That’s fine. I don’t want to be last century’s news,” Lois joked.

An hour later, a very glamorous-looking Lois Lane emerged from ‘Les Coiffeurs de Wilson’. Clark had an eerie feeling looking at her. She looked so much like the *other* Lois now, he could barely tell them apart. “Lois, if you wanted to look *hot* - well, you look *very* hot. I can’t wait to get you alone later. I’m not going to be able to wear the suit for the rest of the day, if you know what I mean,” he winked.

“Thanks, sweets. You were right about that place – they were great. I feel *so* much better, now. I feel like a *real* person. What a difference,” she said, spying a reflection of herself in a storefront window.

They stopped at several women’s stores so Lois could try on some business attire. She reasoned that she may gain weight, at some point, since everyone thought she was unreasonably thin now. Therefore, she didn’t want to purchase too large of a wardrobe. Just four outfits, enough to get her thru the week. Friday was dress-down day at the Planet, and she had plenty of casual outfits from her Mother’s shopping spree.

“Clark? I know we’re not due at the Planet until Monday, but can we please – please – just stop in? I need to see the newsroom in the worst way,” she explained. “Please?”

“Honey, I can’t say ‘no’ to you about anything. Do you want to walk it or fly it?” he asked.

“Since I just got my hair done, I think walking would be better. I mean, I do love flying with you, but I just spent $100”….she rambled.

“No problem, Lois. We can do the Congo-walk, if you want, since you have heels on,” he joked. Putting his right hand on the small of her back he was able to lift her slightly off the ground and they ‘phantom’-walked, Congo style, to the Daily Planet.

When they arrived at the foot of the building, Lois looked up to see the familiar globe. “Wow, I haven’t seen that for ten years. There were days I never thought I would see it again. It’s just so great to be home.”

As they entered the building, the security officer looked at her strangely. “You’re Lois Lane, huh? I'm Walter. You’re the woman that helped save the plane, I saw you on the news. You go right in, Ms. Lane,” he said, virtually ignoring Clark.

“Thanks, Walter. Nice to meet you too,” replied Lois, enjoying her newfound celebrity status. She knew it wouldn’t last long. Soon, she would be old news!

They rode the elevator up to the familiar floor and as the door opened, Lois got her first glimpse of the 21st –century newsroom. Plasma TVs in every corner with LNN on, sleek black computers with large flat-screen monitors, inkjet printers at every station. Wow! This was truly a reporter’s dream.

Clark began to introduce Lois around to the newer staff members, but they all knew who she was already.

“Ms. Lane, I’m so pleased to finally meet you. And may I also say how beautiful you are”, gushed Ralph. “Kent, I hear congratulations are in order. You waited a long time, but you sure know how to pick ‘em,” he commented.

“Thanks, Ralph – I think,” said Clark. [Don’t you be hitting on my wife!]

Unexpectedly, Lois “heard” Clark’s jealousy in her head. [Ah…emotional responses bring out the telepathy, I see. Let’s see if he can “hear” me]: {Clark, Ralph is no one that I would *ever* be attracted to. Have you looked at yourself in the mirror lately? No man holds a candle to you.}

Clark turned to look at Lois and smiled at her thoughts. {Sorry, Lois, I guess I’m just being over-protective. I’ll get over it, I promise.}

Linda King grudgingly came up to Lois and welcomed her home. “You've got a great guy there, Lois. Lots of us tried, but we knew he was waiting for someone special to show up. I guess you were it,” she said, with a hint of sarcasm in her tone of voice.

“Thanks Linda. You know, I really think it’s time for us to bury the hatchet,” Lois said, offering her an olive branch. “After all, we *will* be working together. Let’s make this as pleasant as possible.”

“You can’t be Lois Lane….you must be the *other* Lois Lane. She was a lot nicer than the Lois Lane *I* remember,” snipped Linda, not trusting in Lois’ sincerity.

{Clark, she was *here*? At the Planet? They *all* saw her?}

{Yes, Lois. They all thought you had miraculously reappeared from the Congo. Perry, especially, was so happy to see *you*. It was all the harder when *you* - *she* - left again. Hey for someone who didn’t want to use this ‘meeting of the minds’ thing, you’re sure into it today!}

“Linda, that wasn’t really me. But I *have* changed in the last ten years. Life’s too short to carry grudges. Let’s try to resume our friendship, OK?” Lois gave Linda the most sincere expression that she could muster.

“Ok, well I believe people can change, so I’ll try to keep an open mind, Lois,” Linda promised.

After meeting the remainder of the staff, they headed toward Olson’s office.

James had his head down on the desk. He was crying.

Clark gently knocked on the door and stepped into the office.

“James – Mr. Olson – what’s the matter? How can I help?” asked Clark, putting his hand on James’ back.

“Timmy was just found dead. An apparent suicide,” he said, tears openly flowing down his cheeks.

{*They* didn’t wait long, did they?}"James – Jim – I’m *so* sorry. What happened?” Lois asked, giving the younger man a hug.

“His mother – my Aunt – found him hanging in the bathroom. He left a suicide note apologizing to me for what he had done, how he was so jealous of me.

“That’s not all. The rumor that the Planet’s computer was compromised has affected the stock price and the circulation numbers. I’m going to have to meet the payroll out of my own pocket this week. Just to keep everyone employed, I may have to accept the offer I received from LNN to buy the Planet. What a rotten day,” he lamented. “What else could possibly go wrong?”

“You got an offer from LNN? But they’re owned by Edge Enterprises,” exclaimed Clark. “I can’t prove it, but I know they’re dirty as Hell.”

“I know. Their slick new VP in charge of acquisitions, a Lenny Thorul, gave a presentation to my board of directors on Monday. LNN is willing to pay *double* the stock price to acquire the Planet. Perry and my father were going to try to help me fight this. It looks like it might be too late, now.”

Lois turned white when she heard the name ‘Lenny Thorul’. Clark felt her anxiety immediately and unwittingly picked up parts of her thoughts. It seemed as if Lois had deliberately closed her mind to him, but before she did, he definitely “heard” the name “Luthor”.

{Lois, don’t shut me out here. This is the “Lenny” from the phone call, isn’t it?}

{Yes. Later, Clark. James needs us now.}

{You’re right.}

“Jim, let’s get you out of here. You need a change of scenery. Let’s go over to Timmy’s apartment and see what the police have come up with for clues,” Lois suggested.

James protested. “You guys are supposed to be taking the week off. And, what, you don’t think it was a suicide any more than I do, huh?”

“NO!” Clark and Lois replied in unison.

“Then let’s hit the streets. I can learn a lot from my two best investigative reporters, even though you’ve both been pretty inactive lately. But I know from my relatively short time in this business, once it’s in your blood, it’s like riding a bike. You never forget, huh?”

“Never,” said Lois. “Never,” agreed Clark.

TBC

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"