Well, here's the last of the reposting. Next time a brand new segment. Once again, I need to thank my wonderful BR, Laswa, who constantly is supporting and encouraging me.

Reminder -- Keep on your toes as you watch for the date and place changes.

From Part 5

“I hope this is the audition for ‘Arsenic and Old Lace’,” he asked them, using as kind and open a tone of voice as his genus could resonate. “I’m sorry to be late, but as I’m new to your community, I sort of got lost. I hope I’m not intruding?” the man inquired graciously.

“No, you’re not intruding,” Martha said quickly, sensing fresh meat--a new man who was interested in theatre. She rose and walked toward him, extending her hand in welcome. “And, yes these are the auditions. I’m Martha Kent and I’ll be directing this piece. You’ll meet the others as we go along. And you’re...?

“Thurston. Richard Thurston.” And noticing an empty seat, he looked back at Martha. “Is it all right if I sit down next to that lovely young lady,” he asked indicating Lois Lane.

Now for Part 6

Roswell, New Mexico
Tuesday,
July 8, 1947
4:00 p.m. MDT

Lou Ann Baker, AKA Libby Barton, watched Major Marcel leave the restaurant with Mac Brazell. She put the coffee decanter on the warmer and turned back to the counter.

“They’re not gonna find flying saucers,” Lou Ann told the military officer who had accompanied Major Marcel. “It’s all a hoax,” she said, wiping off the counter. “Things aren’t as they seem.”

“You’re a lovely young lady,” the Captain said to her, changing the subject.

“Thank you,” Lou Ann responded tentatively.

“When do you get off?”

“Nine o’clock,” she responded, amazed that the answer had come so readily. Lou Ann had had no experience with men and really hadn’t wanted any. But this man.... Something just attracted her.

“I’ll pick you up after work, then.”

“All right,” Lou Ann said, looking across at him, as he rose and ambled toward the door.

“By the way,” he said turning back. “I haven’t introduced myself. Have I?”

Smallville, Kansas
Sunday,
January 16, 1994
3:10 p.m. CST

Martha looked around at the potential cast members. As usual, she was still lacking males, and *again* as usual, she had an extra female or two. Well, there was a lot of backstage work in this show--the women could help there; and, once more, she would have to go out and do the expected arm twisting to drum up some men.

“Welcome all!” she exclaimed. “I’m especially happy to see some new faces. Why don’t we go around the circle and introduce ourselves.”

As the regulars said their name and what they did in real life, Clark stared at the two new participants: Richard Thurston, a complete unknown, and Libby Barton who would definitely be an interesting addition to the group. Clark had grown up knowing the rumors about the Bartons and about Miss Libby in particular.

Libby Barton took a gun
And shot her family, everyone.

Although never participating in it himself as a young boy, he had heard the chants that children had uttered when they passed the house on Maple Street and threw stones at the windows.

Keith Haley and Cindy Brady, the youngest members of the Smallville Players’ Troupe, introduced themselves while staring at Miss Libby Barton, and then looked at each other. Their project had just become a tad easier, as they had automatically obtained almost unlimited access to one of their subjects.

“I’m Libby Barton,” Miss Libby said, when it was her turn. “I guess most of you know me, if not personally, then by innuendo. I’ve lived in Smallville pretty much all my life except for about ten years when I was unavoidably detained elsewhere.”

Most of the actors sitting in the circle of chairs fidgeted at first; and then, as they noticed her smile, chuckled a little at her remarks. It appeared that Miss Libby Barton was going to fit right in. She, as with most actors, was just a bit off center.

“Since I was a little girl, I’ve wanted to be an actress; so I’m really looking forward to being involved in this play, if I’m cast, that is,” she continued, looking over at Martha. “It appears that ‘Arsenic and Old Lace’ would be right up my alley, as I’ve always been interested in...in...well, unique characters,” she explained, smiling again.

As Wayne Irig began his introduction, Lois watched the two new people. Her students had told her about Libby Barton, and it appeared that she was definitely unusual. If she had killed all the members of her family, then she had already paid for her crime. But looking at her, Lois found it difficult to believe that Miss Libby was capable of doing anything that macabre. She glanced away from Miss Libby because it was Richard Thurston who now captured her attention....something about him....

Something about Richard Thurston disturbed Clark, as well. He couldn’t get a handle on it, but there was something....

While Donald was going on ad infinitum about who he was, parts he had played, etc., Martha thought about how the group had gaped at Libby Barton when she first entered the auditorium. But the actors now seemed to relax, once Miss Libby had spoken. Perhaps her being involved will finally chill all the gossip. Martha, too, had grown up knowing about Libby. But, unknown to most people, Martha had a much closer connection, one that made her understand Libby and want to help.

Miss Libby took the opportunity, while eyes had refocused off her and onto Donald Botts, to look around at the members of the Smallville Players. They were a unique group of individuals, but it appeared that there was a feeling of camaraderie there--a feeling of family--something that Libby had lacked for oh so many years. She had remained practically a recluse, estranged from almost everyone and everything. Her few trips out of the house to the book store or the cemetery where her so-called family was buried were the only exceptions to her hibernation from the world at large.

Martha Kent continued to look at all the candidates for the various parts in the play. But she kept drifting back to Libby Barton. The Smallville Players’ director had found it strange, at first, that Libby was interested in being involved with the community theatre group. But this *was* a play about murder and perhaps it was Miss Libby’s chance to finally put a lot of things to rest, both for herself and for others. Martha had worried that over the years, Miss Libby had basically become more and more of a hermit whose only outlet was to read about murderers, and monsters. Martha strongly believed in drama being a type of therapy, and albeit a play about one of Libby’s favorite subjects, at least it was an opportunity to get her out of that house more often.

Libby watched Martha’s appraisal of those sitting around the circle who aspired to be in the play, and saw in her the ability to encourage, support and bring out the best in people.

For years, Miss Libby’s visits to the bookstore were more than just trips to get books, as she could have had them delivered. It was a chance to see Martha and receive a different kind of look than those she sometimes received when she saw the occasional delivery man, series of housekeepers, or the tourists that took pictures in front of her house.

So she made a foray to the bookstore one or two Saturdays a month to purchase books--some of which she already had, just to see Martha and to hopefully see one more person. Whenever she opened the door of the bookstore and heard the tinkle of the bell, she would pray that he would be there--Clark.

Libby looked over at Clark and when their eyes met, she smiled. She had watched him grow up and realized what an incredible young man he was--the kind of young man she would have liked her....but she couldn’t let her mind go there.

Now that she was almost seventy years old, Libby Barton had decided to terminate her self-imposed excommunication and reach out to the world and to do it with Martha and Clark.

As Libby looked at young Mr. Kent, the former recluse remembered what had really been the ultimate deciding factor to alter her life today--to come to the auditions--to reenter the world with a bang--Superman. Yes, she knew the secret--knew Clark to be Superman who had chosen to be out there, to dare anyone to ridicule his difference, to set an example. Superman was an alien. Aliens had, it seemed, always impacted her life--that fateful night in 1938, in New Mexico in 1947 and perhaps now. He was an alien from another planet, yet he didn’t seclude himself away but opted to, not only make himself a part of this world, but to use his differences to make a difference.

Miss Libby smiled again at Clark. Yes Clark had made a difference in this world. Clark, that is, Superman didn’t hide--didn’t run away from life.

Cassville, New Jersey
Sunday,
October 30, 1938
8:25 p.m. EST

Mary looked out the window one last time. David wasn’t coming home, at least not during the next few minutes when she needed him.

There were loud shouts coming from the radio.

##### PHILLIPS: Good heavens, something's wriggling out of the shadow like a gray snake. Now it's another one, and another. They look like tentacles to me. There, I can see the thing's body. It's large, large as a bear and it glistens like wet leather. But that face, it . . . Ladies and gentlemen, it's indescribable. I can hardly force myself to keep looking at it. The eyes are black and gleam like a serpent. The mouth is V-shaped with saliva dripping from its rimless lips that seem to quiver and pulsate. The monster or whatever it is can hardly move. It seems weighed down by . . . possibly gravity or something. The thing's raising up. The crowd falls back now. They've seen plenty. This is the most extraordinary experience. I can't find words . . . I'll pull this microphone with me as I talk. I'll have to stop the description until I can take a new position. Hold on, will you please, I'll be right back in a minute.

ANNOUNCER: We are bringing you an eyewitness account of what's happening on the Wilmuth farm, Grover’s Mill, New Jersey. We now return you to Carl Phillips at Grover’s Mill.

PHILLIPS: Ladies and gentlemen (Am I on?). Ladies and gentlemen, here I am, back of a stone wall that adjoins Mr. Wilmuth's garden. From here I get a sweep of the whole scene. I'll give you every detail as long as I can talk--as long as I can see. More state police have arrived. They're drawing up a cordon in front of the pit, about thirty of them. No need to push the crowd back now. They're willing to keep their distance. The captain is conferring with someone. We can't quite see who. Oh yes, I believe it's Professor Pierson. Yes, it is. Now they've parted. The Professor moves around one side, studying the object, while the captain and two policemen advance with something in their hands. I can see it now. It's a white handkerchief tied to a pole . . . a flag of truce. If those creatures know what that means . . . what anything means!. . . Wait! Something's happening! #####

Mary ran into the bedroom and got a small suitcase and packed enough for a night or two. She hurried into the kitchen and opened one of the cupboards. Taking down a jar hidden behind some glasses, she unscrewed the lid and took out the thirty-six dollars and forty-two cents that was there for emergencies.

She grabbed Jason and slipped a jacket on him. “We’re leaving,” she told him.

“What about Daddy?” her son asked.

“Jason Trask, we’re getting out of here now!”

Smallville, Kansas
Friday,
October 20, 1993
3:40 p.m. CST

Colonel Jason Trask, Jr. starred at Clark Kent. He had come to Smallville to track down a rock--a rock that came from the same planet as that alien, Superman. It was a rock that could kill the extraterrestrial. Trask had been born for this job. His grandfather, David Trask had been a governmental agent searching out the alien horde from across the waters--aliens whose sole purpose was to conquer the United States. His grandmother had been killed in the panic that ensued after Orson Welles' broadcast of ‘War of the Worlds’, leaving his father to be raised by an angry and vindictive man who saw evil in every pocket of dissidents, protestors, and activists.

Jason Trask, Sr. had followed his father, David, into the service and had become the chief investigator searching out UFOs in the late 40s and then had helped to start Bureau 39 on August 2, 1947.

Jason, Jr. had joined the service as well and had been attached to his father’s unit in 1969. And, like his grandfather and father before him, had seen enemies where there were none; and, this obsession like many great obsessions, would prove to be fatal.

“I’ll make a deal with you, Clark,” Trask informed him. “You give up the alien, and I will let you and the others live.”

“What makes you think I would do that even if I could?” Clark responded glaring at the man in camouflage green.

“Because Superman came to Smallville about the same time you were born. There has to be a connection,” Trask insisted. “Now tell me and live!”

“There’s nothing to tell,” Clark told him determinedly. “I’m learning all of this for the first time right now.”

“I’m trying to save humanity from an alien invader!” Trask told him zealously.

“You have no proof of that.” Clark informed him staring at him steadily.

“All right,” the federal agent said calming down and circling Clark. “There’s another possibility. Perhaps this alien has taken over your mind.”

Clark looked critically at this man who supposedly worked for the government. <He is maniacal,> Clark thought.

“Perhaps he has infused you with his power?” Trask continued.

“Nobody has infused me with power and no one has taken over my mind,” Clark responded adamantly.

“Colonel Trask!” a voice called from outside. “We’ve found something!”

Roswell, New Mexico
Tuesday,
July 8, 1947
4:00 p.m. MDT

“What’s your name?” the military officer asked.

“Lib...Lou Ann Baker,” she replied.

“Mine’s Jason Trask.”

Smallville, Kansas
Sunday,
January 16, 1994
3:30 p.m. CST

Martha Kent scanned over the audition sheets that each of the potential actors had presented to her. As usual Donald Botts saw himself as the comic relief, and had put down that he was interested in the part of Teddy. Clark and Lois had specified Mortimer and Elaine, the two young lovers. Dan Scardino had also stated he was interested in Mortimer. Martha wondered what Clark would think if she cast Dan and Lois together. No, she wouldn’t do that--not because Lois and Clark were engaged, but because Dan Scardino just didn’t come off well as a young hero--he was more of a sleaze-ball type. Beatrice Drake wanted either of the two aunts--Abby or Martha. As did Libby Barton.

The director knew there was going to be one interesting problem with this play. There was a character named Martha and one named Jonathan. She would have to be explicit when talking about the characters of Aunt Martha and Jonathan Brewster so as not to be confused with the real people sitting around the circle. She looked around at the actors who were anxiously awaiting what came next. Then she took another glance at the sheets--most of which she could recite without even reading them.

Jimmy, Keith, Cindy, Wayne, and her own husband each had given her carte blanche as to casting.

Now for the stranger--the Director of the Smallville Players carefully perused Richard Thurston’s sheet. He had had acting experience, the sheet told her. Then she looked at the line where the auditioner would mention the part he or she was interested in. The character’s name, Jonathan Brewster appeared.

“Mr. Thurston,” Martha said looking at the handsome man across from her. “You selected Jonathan Brewster as the part you would want?”

“Call me Richard, Mrs. Kent,” he told her. “And, yes. Villains are abundantly much more fun.”

Roswell, New Mexico
Tuesday,
July 8, 1947
10:30 p.m. MDT

Trask threw her down on the bed and got on top of her.

“Stop! Stop!” Lou Ann yelled out, as he pinned her arms against the mattress.... Please, don’t,” she cried.

“You little tease!” Jason Trask yelled, and slapped her across the mouth.

Lou Ann took that opportunity to use her free hand to reach up and scratch his face.

Trask sneered and punched her again and again. In her weakened condition, he was able to pry apart her legs.

Lou Ann, her lip and one eye bleeding and beginning to swell, looked up into the monstrous face over her and spit at him. Trask punched her one more time, and with that punch came blackness....

Smallville, Kansas
Sunday,
January 16, 1994
3:35 p.m. CST

Martha went over to the light board and altered some settings. At first the stage was plunged into darkness and then the “first electric” lit up to give them a more appropriate atmosphere for the audition.

“Okay,” she said let’s try a scene from Act II first, and I would like to hear some of the new people. Richard, you read Jonathan Brewster, Lois, read Elaine; and Keith, would you read Dr. Einstein just for now. Then I’ll try some Aunt Abby and Aunt Martha scenes so I can hear you Miss Libby. We’ll start at the middle of page forty-eight with your line, Lois. Do you see it?”

“Uh huh.” Lois responded, as she and the other two stood up to face the director.

“Given that I have a husband named Jonathan, I’m going to call the Jonathan in the play, JB, which should eliminate some confusion, I hope. Anyway, in this scene,” Martha explained. “JB has come home after a long absence. He has had plastic surgery done by a drunk Dr. Einstein who had seen the movie of Frankenstein the day before. So he now looks like Boris Karloff,” she said smiling. “What was really funny, of course,” Martha continued. “Was that the actor who first played JB on the stage *was* Boris Karloff. That was the joke. Obviously *our* actor will need some unique make-up.”

The actors in the circle smiled. “Cindy,” Martha said. “To be honest, there’s really no part in the play for you, but I would appreciate it if you could help with the make-up. Jonathan Brewster’s face will take a lot of work.”

“Of course,” Cindy replied, somewhat disappointed but always up for the challenge of new things. “That would be fun.”

“Anyway,” Martha continued. “JB is a despicable, evil, depraved individual who has killed twelve people. He has come home to hide from the police and to conceal his latest victim whose body is in his car,” she explained looking at Richard. “But, unbeknownst to JB, of course, was that the home he came back to already had twelve bodies buried in the cellar because Aunt Abby and Aunt Martha have developed a little hobby,” she paused looking at all the actors.

“They use arsenic to poison lonely old men and then give them Christian burials in their basement.” Martha clarified.

The actors chuckled at the morbid yet funny concept of the play.

“They have another nephew, Teddy who thinks he’s Theodore Roosevelt and whenever they need a grave dug, they tell Teddy that another Yellow Fever victim has appeared and must be buried in Panama--the cellar. I’ll explain about other characters as we go on. But this should give you all a little understanding of the plot.”

“Maybe for this play we should say plots,” Donald Botts interjected, laughing.

Donald waited for a reaction from the others and getting none, he sighed. “I was just trying to lighten the mood. Sorry.”

Martha looked at Richard. “Ready.”

He nodded.

Elaine/Lois: Miss Abby! Miss Martha! Miss Abby! Miss Martha! [The Script’s directions state that: suddenly JB steps through the door and closes it.]

Richard pretends to do that.

Elaine/Lois: Uhhh! Who is it? Is that you, Teddy? [JB/Richard comes toward her as she backs into a chair.] Who are you?

Lois registered some fear as she is forced back into a chair.

JB/Richard Who are you?

Elaine/Lois: I’m Elaine Harper--I live next door!

JB/Richard: Then what are you doing here?

Elaine/Lois: I came over to see Miss Abby and Miss Martha.

JB/Richard: [To Dr. Einstein.] Turn on the lights, Doctor.

The script directs Elaine to gasp as she sees Jonathan Brewster's face. Lois did so.

JB/Richard: [Looks at her for a moment.] You chose rather an untimely moment for a social call.

The script tells Jonathan Brewster to cross over to the window-seat to look for Spenalzo who is the dead body Dr. Einstein has brought in from the car to hide. JB cannot find Spenalzo. He looks up, behind the table, Looks out the window, then comes back to the center of the room. Richard performs all of these maneuvers during the next couple of lines.

Elaine/Lois: I think you’d better explain what you’re doing here.

JB/Richard: We happen to live here.

Elaine/Lois: You *don’t* live here. I’m in this house every day and I’ve never seen you before. [Frightened.] Where are Miss Abby and Miss Martha? What have you done to them?

JB/Richard: Perhaps we’d better introduce ourselves. This [indicates Dr. Einstein.] is Dr. Einstein.

Elaine/Lois: Dr. Einstein?

JB/Richard: A surgeon of great distinction. [Continues to look under the table for Spenalzo, and not finding him...] ...and something of a magician.

The people around the room laugh at Richard’s interpretation of that line. Martha smiles as she realizes what a wonderful Jonathan Brewster Richard is going to make.

Elaine/Lois: And I suppose you’re going to tell me you’re Boris Kar...

JB/Richard: I’m Jonathan Brewster.

Elaine/Lois: [Drawing back almost with fright.] Oh--you’re Jonathan!

Although no suggestions of movement were given to Jonathan Brewster’s character at this point, Richard walked slowly toward Lois and stroked the side of her face with the back of his hand and then with an evil tone to his voice, read his line.

JB/Richard: I see you’ve heard of me.

tbc.