From Chapter Eleven:

“What do you guys think I know, anyway? I came here to do a story on Luthor Corp supplying the rebels with weapons. Luthor Corp is no more. What use could I possibly be to you now?”

“Ms. Lane, you were smart to stay under the name of ‘Linda’ all those years. We really thought you were dead until we read your e-mails to the Daily Planet,” Nigel said.

“You still haven’t answered my question? What is it that makes me such a nuisance to you people?”

“I think our employer can answer that question better than we can,” said Mark.

They dialed an overseas number, and put the call on speaker phone.

“Sir, we have Lois Lane here. She wants to know why we have detained her. Would you like to answer her question?”

“Indeed I would. Lois, you have a very bad habit of listening in to other people’s private phone conversations. I’m sure you shared the conversation with Kent. But only you will know why it was important to us, and you’ll be dead so it won’t matter.”

Lois stiffened, in shock. She recognized the voice on the phone. But it couldn’t be! It sounded just like Lex Luthor!

Chapter Twelve

“Who is this?” Lois asked.

“We’ve never formally met, Ms. Lane. But you did date my twin brother, Alexander,” the voice said.

“Your brother???? Lex was your brother???? I never read anything about Lex having a twin brother.”

“He didn’t know I existed until 1992. You see, my mother knew she was carrying fraternal twins, but she never told our father. He was a mobster, and she knew the kind of life I’d be exposed to. She paid off the hospital workers so he never knew there were two babies. In those days, fathers didn’t participate in the birth of their children like they do today. He hung out in the club the entire time my mother was giving birth to us.

“She had her younger, unmarried sister, Lena, sneak me out of the hospital. My birth certificate names her, my Aunt, as the mother and ‘unknown’ as the father. She moved across the country to San Diego, CA., and raised me as Leonard Thorul. She altered the spelling of my last name so no one would know I was a Luthor. She petitioned Probate Court and successfully changed her own name to Thorul legally as well. My birth mother told her husband that she had had a falling out with her sister, so that we never met accidentally at family functions.

“I never knew my father, but my ‘mother’ would come out to California and visit me from time to time, when her husband was away on business trips. Lex was at boarding school, so I never met him. I *thought* my birth mother was my Aunt. It wasn’t until I was 18 that I was told about my true background. To say that I was shocked is an understatement.

“Eventually my *real* parents were killed in an apartment building explosion, which was linked to organized crime. Lex was in college at the time. He graduated at the top of his class at Harvard Business School, and began his illustrious business career right after graduation.

“When I realized that my twin brother was forging an empire, I stayed in the background, biding my time. He still didn’t know I existed. My “mother”, who was really my Aunt, passed away eleven years ago, in 1992. I didn’t realize that my birth mother had started a trust fund for me (when I was an infant) that was managed by the woman who raised me - my ‘Aunt’ Lena. Imagine my surprise at the reading of her will that I was to inherit- let’s say – a *very* large sum of money. It was then that I made my move with my now- billionaire brother, who had no clue that I ever existed.

“Even though we were twins, we weren’t identical. My hair color is red; his, as you know, was brown. When I showed up on his door one day, he called me a fraud. However, a DNA test proved to him that I was his brother. I told him that we could be partners – or enemies - his choice. Imagine his surprise in finding out that his newfound brother had some financial backing of his own…*and* an aptitude for business.

“It was *my* idea to get involved here in Brazzaville with the rebel forces. I would travel over here and run the business, while he stayed in Metropolis and controlled that end. We got involved in the French oil company scams too. We discovered that if we both shaved our heads, we were virtually identical. Lex told everyone that he had had a bout with prostate cancer, and that the chemotherapy made his hair fall out. Our voices, as you can tell, were very similar, and I could make myself look enough like Lex that only our close acquaintances could tell us apart. We covered more ground that way. It was a good partnership for quite a while. Very lucrative. No one knew I was a separate person. It was almost like being able to split yourself in two, Ms. Lane. As a reporter, I’m sure you could see how very convenient that could be.”

Lois, listening in complete awe, grunted, “Yes, mm-hmm.”

“The day my brother took you on that nice romantic dinner to San Francisco…and yes, it was him, not me….you had to go and blow things by picking up the phone. We knew, too late, that you had overheard Nigel mention my name….and that the smartest thing we could do is to get you out of the country ASAP. Sooner or later, you would research the name Lenny. We couldn’t have you blowing our cover.

“I give you credit….we dropped you off in a pretty savage part of the Brazzaville jungle, and somehow, you lived. But you can see how now, with my brother dead, I still can’t have you telling your readers that I exist. I’m so much more effective as Morgan Edge’s new West Coast V.P. in charge of acquisitions, Leonard Thorul. I am a respected businessman in my own name, in my own right. You see, I’ve grown my hair back, I’m a curly redhead, and since my last name is different, no one even considers that I could be Lex’s brother. And, did I have something to do with Lex’s early demise? Well, nothing is impossible, my dear.

“So here’s my deal to you, Ms. Lane. I *am* a soft-hearted fool. You, along with that boy scout boyfriend of yours, agree to bury this story for the rest of your days, or we will kill you both now. Your ‘Superman’ will have no powers for the next 48 hours, so it would be easy enough to finish him off. That chunk of Kryptonite, as you know, *is* quite large.”

“How do you know that I won’t ask for government protection when I get back to the States?” asked Lois. “Why would you even take a chance with me? This smells like a setup!”

“You’re going to find, Ms. Lane, that our knowledge base spans wide and far. If you do something stupid like that, we will know. You don’t know who you can really trust out there, believe me.

“As to why I would offer you this….for fun, really. This is a classic case of Adam and Eve. You’ve got the apple….if you eat it, you will die, and the boy scout will never be the same, even if we *do* let him live. He will be so heartbroken that the love of his life is gone that he will have a virtual nervous breakdown. You’re his 'Achilles’ Heel', Ms. Lane. This is checkmate.

“You know, there are so many other good stories for you to write about. These horrible conditions in the Congo, for example. Why write an expose on a company with a dead CEO? That’s yesterday’s news. Move on to bigger and better things, my dear.

“So, we either end your life here, after spending ten years here in Hell…and what a shame that would be…..or, you agree to my terms, and go back home to the U.S., to enjoy a lovely lifestyle back in Metropolis. Now you even have a new boyfriend to protect you from those hair-brained schemes you’re so famous for getting into.”

“Even if I say ‘yes’, I can’t speak for Clark. He’s Superman…he has integrity. He can’t be bought,” argued Lois.

“But all he knows right now is that you overheard Lex mention someone named Lenny, correct?”

“Yes, that true,” conceded Lois.

“And we know that he’s been in love with you for at least seven years, Ms. Lane. I read the e-mail he sent to his parents. Believe me when I tell you that he doesn’t want to have his time with you cut short, now that he’s finally found you.”

“If you say so. I don’t know about that,” Lois replied.

“So, it’s up to you to keep that lovely mouth of yours shut. Believe me, no amount of research will lead you to find solid evidence that Lex had a twin brother. Only a DNA test can prove it, and now Lex is dead. You wouldn’t be able to compile enough evidence to get a D.A. to have the body exhumed. There is no paper trail. It’s my word against yours. And I’m a respected businessman.”

“I still don’t get it! Why are you bargaining with me? I thought you were confessing all this because you were planning on killing me?”

“Well, Ms. Lane, it turns out that Mark, here, has really taken a fancy to you. And life is more interesting this way, don’t you think? You’ll be harboring this secret, which you can’t write about, and that will make you suffer longer than if we snuff out your life right now.

“So, do we have a deal? You can write about anything except the fact that Lenny Thorul is related to Lex Luthor. Do all the research you want. You won’t find any hard proof of any criminal activity on our part, anyway. If you do, because we got sloppy, then we get what we deserve. How’s that for fairness??

“Anyway, I have a meeting to get to. That’s my offer. Take a few minutes to think about it. Let Mark and Nigel know your decision.”

The speakerphone went dead. Mark and Nigel left Lois alone in the windowless room, locking the door behind them.

[How can I keep this from Clark? How can I live with myself? And if Clark is able to read my thoughts, he’s going to find out about this. Clark, I need you!!! Where are you???]

Clark was heading full jeep-jungle-speed to the oil company’s office. He figured that this was Nigel’s hangout, since he had disappeared from the States so quickly after Lex’s suicide. He was out of his element, a Superman without super-powers. What to do? More than likely, the courier had delivered the Kryptonite to them and Lois’ life most certainly was in danger. He just wanted to get on that plane with Lois tomorrow and go home!!!

Several minutes later, Mark and Nigel reappeared. “Ms. Lane, can you meet our requirements in order to save your life?” asked Nigel.

Lois swallowed hard. [Like I’m going to say, ‘Sure, kill me now, because I know with *my* big mouth that I won’t be able to keep this secret’. I’m going to end up dead later instead of now. What kind of a choice is this?]

The thought of never seeing Clark again, that sweet, wonderful man who had catered to her every whim since she had met him……well, that was the tie-breaker. “Yes, I agree to your terms, if you are willing to turn over the Kryptonite to me so you don’t double –cross us.” [What the Heck, may as well throw that out there!]

“Ms. Lane, you really have no bargaining chip here. We could kill you right now, and no one is around for miles to hear the gun firing. And, quite frankly, no one in this country would care.”

“Look, my life means nothing to me if Clark is still not safe. So either give me the Kryptonite, or kill me now.” [Lane, that was stupid. Just get out of there!!]

“How sweet, Lois, I really thought we were starting to care for each other, too,” said Mark. “But I’m afraid the boss will not go for that. This Kryptonite cost us plenty. However, you have our word that
once we bring you back to your hotel tonight, we will leave the two of you alone. Upon your return to the States, the playing field is wide open again. If you betray us, we kill you and use the Kryptonite on the boy scout. Remember, the only territory that is off-limits is Thorul’s connection to his brother. The rest will be a fine game of cat-and-mouse, I’m sure.”

“Then get me back to the hotel. Clark must be frantic. I agree to your lousy terms,” Lois said, completely disgusted with herself. What would her college ethics teacher have said about *this* type of situation?

Hands tied behind her back, Lois was lead back out to the jeep. Nigel carried the box of Kryptonite and a handgun as collateral in case Lois decided to pull one of her famous stunts.

Unbeknownst to her and the two British goons, Clark had parked the jeep over by the brush and was watching the building for movement. As soon as he saw Lois being lead to the jeep by Boyle and St. John, he crouched down, relieved to see that Lois was still alive. After they had driven down the driveway a bit, he started the jeep with the lights off, and followed them from a distance. It was soon apparent that they were heading back to Le Meridien.

[What the HECK is going on? Is this round two? That lousy desk clerk betrayed me again!] Clark fumed to himself.

Amazingly, Lois was practically thrown out of the jeep, with her hands still tied behind her back. The jeep sped off into the night. She stumbled down the pathway entrance to the hotel lobby. Clark parked his jeep as quickly as non-super-humanly possible, and jogged into the lobby, yelling, “Lois, Lois!!! What happened? I’m so glad you’re safe!”

Lois turned and, as soon as Clark untied her, literally leaped into his arms. Soon, they were kissing and hugging passionately!

“Oh, Lois, I thought you would be dead, I was so scared. I’ve never been so scared in my life,” whispered Clark, as he kissed her forehead and cheeks.

“Clark, it’s OK, they let me go. They picked me up to scare me off from digging too deeply into the gun-running story I came here for. I told them that it was yesterday’s news anyway, and I wasn’t planning on writing about it anyway. We made a deal, so they brought me back here. It’s over. We can go home.” [A little white lie, that’s all. Part of this is true.]

“Lois, hold on one minute,” Clark said, walking up to the desk clerk with a fierce look, and whipping the keys down on the counter. “Our business together is concluded. We *will* be checking out in the morning,” he said in his best stern Superman voice.

“Lois, let’s go upstairs and pack. We have a plane to catch tomorrow morning,” Clark said. “By the way, you know I have no powers right now. No flying tonight! And, do you know what happened to the Kryptonite?”

“I tried to get them to give it to me to seal our deal, but they wouldn’t. They promised me that we would be able to return home without their interference, as long as I keep my end of the bargain.”

They got in the elevator, pushed “six”, and rode in silence to the top floor.

They sat down on the sofa in the living area. Lois was bursting with questions for Clark.

“Clark? They told me that they read the e-mail you sent to your ‘parents’. They’re the ‘Langs’, aren’t they? Did you tell them you’d been in love with me for seven years?” Lois asked as Clark put his arm around her.

“Yes, Lois, it’s true. Remember, I told you? I fell in love with your picture?”

“Yes, but no one *really* falls in love with a picture. Why do I keep getting the feeling there is more to this story than meets the eye? I mean, I admit, we are pretty perfect for each other, we’re both reporters, I *like* to get into trouble, you *like* to save people..” she babbled.

“Well, I didn’t save you this time. Whatever happened there, whatever you said or did, I’m very grateful that you’re still alive,” Clark said, interrupting her mini-rant, looking intently into her deep brown eyes.

["You’re his 'Achilles Heel', Ms. Lane"...] “Clark, I have to admit that I was so scared when I saw you fall off that chair in agony. I felt so helpless that I couldn’t do anything. I know it’s too soon to say this, but I think I’m in love with you.”

“Lois, you have no idea how long I’ve waited for you to say that. I have so much to tell you, but I don’t want to do it here. I want us to get back to Metropolis and we can take off for a long weekend together and I’ll answer all of the questions you have. You may think I’m crazy, but you’re going to have to trust me that what I’m going to tell you is true.”

“I guess if I can believe in a flying man from another planet, I can pretty much believe anything now, Clark. I mean, I was actually hearing your thoughts in my head. What’s that all about?”

“I’m not sure. I’ll have to ask the other Clark…err, I mean, it must be a Kryptonian power that I wasn’t aware of. And, I think we have a strong connection to each other, and that must help. But now that I don’t have any powers, I don’t have the ability. Who knows if it will come back when my powers resurface?” he wondered.

Clark realized he started saying he was going to ask the ‘other’ Clark if he ever saw him again, but he cut himself short, realizing that he would be opening a can of worms. Time for that when they were safe and sound back in Metropolis.

“Well, it sure came in handy. Beats talking on the telephone anytime!” Lois joked. “I’m certain that I can handle just about anything you have to tell me, now!”

“I hope so, Lois, because this story may stretch even your imagination,” Clark warned.

“Bring it on!” Lois exclaimed.

“I love you, Lois Lane. (Begins singing in her ear): ‘Maybe it’s intuition, But some things you just don’t question, Like in your eyes, I see my future in an instant, and there it goes, I think I’ve found my best friend, I know that it might sound more than a little crazy, but I believe, I knew I loved you before I met you, I think I dreamed you into life, I knew I loved you before I met you, I have been waiting all my life’….” {© “I Knew I Loved you” by Savage Garden}

“Clark, that’s so beautiful. You have a really nice singing voice….very sexy,” Lois purred.

“When I first heard that song on the radio, I couldn’t believe how closely the lyrics mirrored what I’d been feeling for you. That song has been playing in my head since the very first time I heard it.

"(Continues singing): ‘There’s just no rhyme or reason, only this sense of completion, and in your eyes, I see the missing pieces I’m searching for, I think I found my way home, I know it might sound more than a little crazy, but I believe….(Lois starts singing the chorus with him):…I knew I loved you before I met you, I think I dreamed you into life, I knew I loved you before I met you, I have been waiting all my life’……..” {© “I Knew I Loved you” by Savage Garden}

Passion overwhelming the two of them, Clark’s tongue found its way inside of Lois’ mouth. While they were kissing, both of them started undressing each other with a hunger that would only be fulfilled by the physical expression of the love they felt for each other. There wasn’t a moment’s doubt that it wasn’t right for either of them. It was magical, it was musical, it was beautiful. It was the perfect union of two lost soul mates finding each other again for what seemed to be the very first time.

It was the perfect distraction from the deal that Lois had made with the devil.

TBC

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"