From Chapter Eight:

Clark stood up, cupping Lois’ head in his hands, and kissed her back. He felt her stiffen slightly, so he stopped and looked into her eyes, hoping that he could find a connection there.

“Lois, I want to tell you so much, but I can’t yet,” whispered Clark. “If you only knew ……”

“Clark, I feel something for you too, but I don’t know if it’s because I’ve been away from civilization for so long, or because it’s real. I’m going to need a lot of time to sort it out,” explained Lois.

“I understand, Lois. Take all the time you need. I’ll be here,” promised Clark.

“Thank you Clark. You are a really nice guy. You’re just the kind of person that I needed to be with after my long ordeal. Thank you for being you. And if I get wound up sometimes, and don’t seem like I appreciate you, don’t take it personally. It’s just my ‘Mad Dog” personality taking over,” smiled Lois.

“I’m all too familiar with that part already,” grinned Clark.

And with that they settled in their rooms for the night, setting their alarms for 7:30 a.m.

Clark, floating in his sleep as he often did, didn’t call for his imaginary Lois. He could feel and smell the presence of the real one nearby.

======================

Chapter Nine

It was 4:00 a.m. on Friday morning. Clark was awakened by the sounds of Lois having a nightmare in the other room. She was yelling, “No, leave ME alone! Leave THEM alone!” and she was wriggling all over the bed, her legs thrashing and kicking the sheets.

He gently nudged Lois’ shoulders. “Lois, wake up, you’re having a bad dream!”

Lois looked at Clark, half-asleep, with terror in her eyes. “Leave me alone! Oh, Clark, it’s you. Thank God.”

Clark cuddled Lois in his arms, kissing her on the forehead. “It’s OK. It’s over. You’ll never have to go through that ever again, I promise you.”

“Clark, don’t leave. Please hold me. I haven’t had one of those dreams in awhile. I don’t know what brought that on tonight.”

Clark didn’t need a second invitation to get physically close to the woman he had loved for so long. He got in bed with her and held her close, rubbing her back and neck.

“Lois, maybe it was because I had you describe the events leading to your forced exile here. I didn’t mean to stir up bad memories. I apologize,” said Clark, kissing the top of her head.

“It’s not your fault, Clark. Just hold me until I can fall back to sleep, OK?”

Clark snuggled close to Lois, and their breathing soon became synchronized. Clark could barely sleep, having fantasized about this moment for so long it seemed impossible that he was actually lying in bed with her. For the very first time since the “other” Lois left his universe, he felt complete and whole. Even though he wanted desperately to make love to her, the closeness and the very smell of her was enough for now.

When morning came, they were floating several feet above the bed. Clark was “lying” face up and Lois was sound asleep wrapped up in his arms, her head on his shoulder, her legs resting on his. The alarm clock startled both of them and they came crashing down on the bed.

“Clark? What was that? Were we doing what I think we were doing?” a sleepy Lois asked.

“We were floating. Is that what you mean?” [Does she think we did THAT?]

“So you do that when you sleep? Float and crash? Talk about a wake-up call!” laughed Lois.

“Yes I started floating in my sleep long before I was able to fly. I would wake up every morning like that in junior high and high school. It seems the minute that my mind relaxes, I defy gravity. I’m not sure why that is,” Clark admitted.

“Well, if your natural state of being is to defy gravity, then it makes sense. You apparently have to force yourself to stay on the ground, while the rest of us peons have no choice but to stay earth-bound!” Lois joked.

“Yeah, never thought of it like that, but that argument is logical,” Clark said.

“Well, since I’m wide awake now, you know what I would really like to see?” Lois said, with a gleam in her eye.

“Uh-oh, why am I thinking I’m not going to like this?” smirked Clark.

“I want to see Superman, right here, right now, in the flesh,” she said. “No one will know but us that Superman actually appeared in Brazzaville. I won’t tell,” she promised.

“Awww…you really want to see the suit? This is going to be embarrassing,” said Clark.

“If it embarrasses you to wear the suit, then why do it? Who designed it anyway? It had to be a woman,” she teased. “We all love skin-tight spandex on our men.”

“It’s a long story, and one I’m not ready to tell you right now, because I’m pretty sure you’re not ready to hear it yet either,” replied Clark. [Yikes, please don’t tell me I am going to have to tell her that her double designed this costume!] “Suffice it to say that it was designed by someone who was a friend, at the time. She said that the spandex would reduce the wind resistance when I flew,” he explained.

“She??? Who was it, one of those Lang people?”

[Now, she’s not going to drop it is she? I’m in trouble now].

“Lo---is. I’ll wear the suit for you. The answers to the rest of your questions will make for a good story when we get you home to Metropolis, safe and sound.”

“OK, OK. Now show me.”

Clark sped into the other room, and pulled his suit of the suitcase. He realized he hadn’t worn it now for three whole days, since he left Metropolis. It had to be a near-record. Sometimes, back home, he became Superman just to run away from his lack of a social life as Clark Kent. He hoped that he wouldn’t have to do that anymore.

He spun into the suit, and walked back into Lois’ room.

Her jaw dropped when she saw him in his full regalia.

“Wow, Superman, very impressive. No wonder you’re not widely recognized when you’re not in costume. Your face is not the first thing that grabs your attention,” she admitted in a teasing tone of voice. “Nice bod, ‘Mr. Propaganda’! I’ll say one thing, not too many men would look good in that outfit!”

“I’ll choose to take that as a compliment, Lois,” said Clark, feeling flushed. “Are you done gawking at me now? I would like to go downstairs and bring us up some coffees. While I’m there, I’ll sign up for the next available slot for the internet.”

“One more peek. OK, I’m done. I’ll take a shower, you get the coffees. It’s a deal,” said Lois.

Clark spun back out of the suit, placed it back in his suitcase, and put on khaki shorts and a black T-shirt, and headed downstairs.

=======================

Mark Boyle was pacing around the newsroom. He had been instructed by e-mail to go to the airport tonight to pick up a package. Making a little money on the side was one thing, but he had a feeling that the boss expected him to go up against Superman. He wasn’t prepared to ruin his career as a reporter AND spend the rest of his life in jail. He couldn’t betray his employer either. This was truly a dilemma.

A pop-up box on his computer indicated that he had a new e-mail message. He was surprised to see that it was from Perry White. He was also surprised to see that it wasn’t from the Daily Planet’s web server. He had a bad feeling about reading it, but nonetheless clicked on the message in order to read its contents.

===========
To: MBoyle@BBC.net.uk
Re: Leave them alone

“Mark, whatever you’re up to, you’re in way over your head. You always did have a soft spot for the dark side of things. Clark and Lois know that we haven’t been in touch in years. Do yourself a favor and back off. They are two of the finest human beings I know. Whatever you’re up to, it’s not worth it.

By the way, I’m the Mayor of Metropolis now, finishing up my second term. Next time, do some research first before you start throwing my name around. Obviously I did mine because I got your e-mail address. I still have all my contacts at the DP.

Perry”
=============

[Great. If that boy scout, as the boss calls him, hadn’t shown up I could have carried out the plan with Lois. I let myself get intimidated when he showed up. Well, he is Superman, after all. If that package is what I think it is, I’ll be able to turn the tables on him. But Lois is on to me now. I’m going to need backup if I’m going to do this. Otherwise, I’m going to have to disappear.]

He picked up the phone. “Nigel St. John, please,” he said.

====================

Clark and Lois finished their breakfast and went over to the internet kiosk to check their e-mail. Clark had been deliberating on whether he should have replied to the fake “JOlsen” e-mail message. He decided that he would continue to ignore it and, hopefully, they would be home in two days where they could investigate the entire “hacking” scenario properly.

He did need to check in at the Planet, however. He decided that he would e-mail Perry and see if he had been able to find anything out when he went over there. He wanted to get in touch with Timmy Carlson as well and see if he could figure out who “Lenny” might be. In his e-mail, he asked Perry to call Timmy at the Planet and see if he could run some data relating “Lenny” to “Luthor Corp” and see if there was a connection there.

Since it was only about 2:00 a.m. in Metropolis, he would have to wait until dinner time for Perry’s reply. He also remembered that James’ father, John Olson, of the NSA, was to meet with Perry at 10:00 a.m., EST, as well. That should be an interesting meeting. Was it coincidence that right around the time he received a mysterious message about the DP’s web server, the NSA, which concerned itself largely with computer network security, wanted to meet with the former Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Planet? A connection to the two events definitely seemed plausible.

The hospital had said that Lois’ tests and vaccination certificate might be ready within 24 hours. It was a miserable wet day outside, and they didn’t feel like walking in the rain. Lack of available public transportation and the other amenities that Americans take for granted meant that they would sit out the downpour in their room, drinking tea (with Lois picking on chocolates). Lois wanted to know who the current staff in the newsroom was – who the real competition might be, these days.

“Let’s see, there’s Ralph, but he’s pretty lazy, he’s been there pretty much since you left. No competition for Lois Lane, believe me. Cat Grant left to take a job on the West Coast, closer to the entertainment industry. Claude won that Kerth award, then decided to get into broadcast news, big ego that he has. Thinks he’s too good looking to be wasting himself with the print media,” Clark said sarcastically. “So he’s working for WEBC (Edge Broadcasting Company) now. I’m a free-lancer these days, except for my bogus temporary assignment as “foreign correspondent” here in Congo. James has his cousin, Timmy, working as a research assistant, as I told you. There’s Linda King..”

“Linda King? Oh, no!” Lois blurted out.

“What’s wrong with Linda? She’s probably your only competition right now, Lois, but I’m sure once you get back in the swing of things, there will BE no competition,” Clark assured.

“She and I go back a long way. She’s another Claude, she has burned me in the past,” Lois explained. “It’s really going to be pay-back time with both of us working there. Has she come-on to you yet?”

“Yes, when she first started, she kept asking me out. After I said ‘no’ enough times, she finally gave up,” Clark said, smiling.

“Again, Clark, I just don’t get it. Are you sure that you Kryptonian males like women? I just can’t understand why, after all these years, with women pretty much dropping at your feet, you’re not with anyone!” Lois exclaimed.

Clark looked Lois straight in the eyes, and blurted out, “I was waiting for you. I knew you weren’t dead. I felt it. And, yes, as far as I know, we Kryptonian males like women; I know I sure do; maybe we’re just a little more particular than the male earthlings!” he joked.

“Why would you wait for me, a woman you’d never met? Explain that statement, please,” urged Lois. “That sounds like a really bad pick-up line, if you ask me.”

[Think on your feet, Clark. No Alternate-Universe stories yet. She’ll think you’re nuts.]

“Well, when I first came to work for the Daily Planet, all I heard about was Lois Lane! Everyone, Perry especially, was devastated that you hadn’t returned. He felt so guilty that he let you travel here. After awhile, there was a ceremony, and there were pictures of you everywhere. There was even a headstone.”

“Well, I guess they’re going to have to dig THAT up as soon as I get home,” she remarked sarcastically. “Go on.”

“Well, I guess I kind of fell in love with your picture,” Clark said, swallowing hard. “I even came over here to try to find you, but since I had to come at night, when no one could see me using my powers, I wasn’t successful. Too many people in those refugee camps, as you know. But in my heart, I never gave up on you. I felt your presence with me every night, when I went to sleep.”

“Either that’s the greatest line I’ve ever heard, or you are truly the sweetest man in the world,” Lois said, her eyes welling up. “Almost makes up for losing ten years of my life in this Hellhole. Maybe without knowing it, your thoughts kept me alive, made me push harder to survive.”

Clark felt himself start to lose control. His eyes became misty as well. He didn’t want to focus on the seven years he spent dreaming about her, night and day. She wasn’t ready for the whole bizarre story yet. “I would really like to think that, Lois. Anyway, I’m so grateful that you’re alive and eating chocolate at will,” he said, trying to lighten things up.

Lois smiled through her tears. “Ah yes, my love of chocolates is well known. Especially these double fudge crunch bars,” she said, unwrapping one as she spoke. “Definitely beats relief food any day!”

“Lois, when we get home, you and I will write up an article on the conditions here, with a joint by-line. That is necessary to explain my presence here. That will also get the “Lane” name back in circulation in no time. Recently, I’ve been writing articles on “Superman” rescues mostly, but if I had a premier investigative reporter to team up with,” he said, winking at Lois, “I could be convinced to come to work more often. After all, James had left a desk available for me to use at any time.”

“I never worked with a partner before. It would take a little getting used to,” Lois remarked. “But I can see how having Superman for a partner would help my investigations,” she admitted. “It’s too bad everyone knows that Clark Kent is Superman. I would have thought you would have worn a mask or something so no one would know.”

Clark rolled his eyes. “Well, actually it was supposed to be the glasses, not a mask. Unfortunately, it didn’t work out. I’ll tell you the whole story when we get back,” Clark promised.

“By now, you owe me about a week worth of stories, Clark!” Lois laughed. “And I’m going to cash in on every one of them, too!

“So….who else is at the Planet that I should know about?”

“Well, there are plenty of administrative people, but the only other investigative reporter, and he was hired within the last year, is Torimitsu Onishi. He was our foreign correspondent in Japan, but he recently moved to the United States. He’s quite good, but he still needs to learn American culture. But he’s going to do well. He’s very bright, very detail-oriented.”

“Well, Clark, I say it’s time for a mid-morning nap. Why don’t you set the alarm for about 1:30 p.m., and if it has stopped raining by then, we can head out on foot to the hospital. The sooner I get this medical stuff taken care of, the sooner we can get out of here, Mark Boyle be damned.”

There was a sofa in the living area. Lois stretched out, and said, “There is room for two here, Clark. Come lay down with me. No funny stuff, just cuddle stuff.”

Clark’s heart was pounding. “Are you sure? I don’t wait to make you uncomfortable in any way.”

“Clark! I asked YOU!!! Don’t be so nice all the time! If you have one fault, that’s it! I guess that Midwest politeness just adds to your charm, though,” Lois smiled.

Clark moved to the sofa, beaming. Being stuck in a hotel room in Brazzaville wasn’t so bad, after all!

Soon, they were lying in “spoon” formation on the sofa, cuddling, sound asleep.

===========================

“St. John here.”

It’s Boyle. I need you to come with me to Maya Maya airport tonight. We have to be there at 6:00 p.m., sharp, at the Lex-Air International Wing.”

“Why? You know I can’t afford to be recognized right now, until after my surgery.”

“So, wear a bloody mask for all I care. I can’t-won’t do this alone. It’s up to you. Otherwise, I’m out of here.”

“I’ll pick you up in front of Le Choc at 5:00 p.m. Look for my jeep, I’m not going to get out.”

“Fine. See you then.”

Mark reflected on the mess he had gotten himself into. He even considered going to Le Meridien and coming clean with Kent and Lane about the operation going down. If “Superman” could promise to protect him, maybe it would be worth it. Well, he had a few hours to figure it out.

TBC

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"