From Chapter Seven:

“Lois, please, I’ll explain it all later. Let’s just concentrate on the stuff that will get us – you – home faster, and safely,” Clark stated. “I’m going to sign on to the Daily Planet’s server now, and see what’s going on there. Then, you can check your mail. We can have dinner afterwards and figure out who’s really out to get you, and possibly why. You’re going to have to tell me everything you knew about Luthor Corp’s weapons exporting. That’s the only way we’re going to be able to put this together.

Ten minutes later, with no interesting e-mails to further enlighten either one of them, they signed off the computer. Clark thought it strange that no one from the Planet was e-mailing him. Since he hadn’t replied to the phony e-mail he had received from the bogus “JOlsen”, he assumed that the perpetrator realized he was on to him. Maybe that wasn’t such a good idea. Perhaps he should have played along. He’d had to think about that one some more.

Clark touched Lois on the shoulder. “Lois, how would you like to go to Paris for dinner?” he asked. “It’s about nighttime, let’s go upstairs and change into something black.”

============================

Mark returned to his office at Le Choc and pulled up his e-mail. As expected, there was a new e-mail requesting a status report on “Operation Lane and Kent”. It was also mentioned that he should go to the Brazzaville airport tomorrow at 6:00 p.m. to obtain a package that would be waiting for him at the baggage claim office marked “confidential”. Enclosed, there would be further instructions.

==================

Chapter Eight

Paris was in the same time zone, so it was a quick trip to travel there under the cover of darkness. Funny thing about time zones, however, was that it got dark in Brazzaville by 6:00 p.m. in March, but in Paris, which was northwest, it stayed light until almost 8:30 p.m. The most romantic city in the world was beautiful in the early evening.

Lois had put on her black jeans and a long sleeve black blouse that she had found in the suitcase. Of course, knowing they were traveling to Paris, she felt she should have worn something more suitable.

Clark landed on the top of “la Tour-Eiffel”. “Have you been to Paris before?” he asked Lois.

“Yes, right after college I took a tour of Europe. I’ve never seen it from the air before,” breathed Lois. “Not like this. Wow.”

Clark scrutinized the area to ensure no one would spot them, and then gently floated them down to the second floor, where the stairs to the ground were. “I guess you don’t suffer from a fear of heights, Lois. You’ve been doing great.”

“Actually, Clark, I have to say I love flying with you. But I really think that we should be dressed less casually if we’re going to get into one of these nice outdoor cafés,” implored Lois.

“Ok, then how about we go shopping first?” Clark suggested.

“Are you serious? You know I don’t have any money.”

“I can cover you on this one. My treat,” smile Clark. He couldn’t wait to see Lois in a sexy evening dress.

He looked at his watch. Yes, it was about 7:00 p.m. More than enough time to get to Printemps, which stayed open until 10:00 p.m. on Thursday nights. Not only did they have designer fashions, but they had an open terrace restaurant on the ninth floor.

After a glorious hour of trying on dresses, shoes, and jewelry, Lois was decked out in a strapless black evening dress with a slit that traveled to above her knee, with matching pumps and faux-diamond necklace and earrings. She still hated her long hair, but Clark had told her that if she had it cut, it might be a red flag that he had used his powers. There were no designer hair stylists in Brazzaville, after all. At least, not until the country had a chance to rebuild, post-war.

Better she wait until she was safely home in Metropolis. She had reluctantly agreed. So she had simply had a Parisian hairdresser curl it and, with the appropriate hair ornaments, it was swept up in a French braid which complimented her neckline. Lois literally felt like a million bucks. She couldn’t believe Clark would spend all that money on her, nearly a perfect stranger.

Clark was wearing a black suit, with a white pinstriped shirt and a fairly conspicuous tie.

They gasped when they looked at each other. Lois was more beautiful than he ever thought possible; Lois felt that Clark was the most handsome man in all of Paris, maybe the world. And he really seemed to care for her.

“Clark, you look so handsome!-”
“Lois, you look so beautiful! – “
As they blurted out compliments to each other simultaneously, they smiled and laughed. It was comfortable, like two old friends sharing a private joke.

Clark was hopeful that no one would recognize him at Superman. After all, he didn’t socialize that much “off-duty”, more for lack of someone special than for want. When he wore the suit, he drew attention to other bodily places than his face, which was truly a double-edge sword. However, tonight, he would enjoy it. Besides, the city of Paris attracted all types of celebrities. Superman was no big deal.

After dinner, more laughter, and a bottle of fine wine, it neared 10:00 p.m. Clark paid the bill and, looking at Lois, said, “Somehow we didn’t talk about Luthor Corp once. It was actually kind of nice not to talk about business. I enjoy being with you, Lois,” Clark admitted. [Hopefully she feels the same way]. “We haven’t known each other that long, but you’re already special to me.”

“Thanks, Clark. Somehow, I feel I have known you before. I’ve been getting this feeling of dèja-vu since we’ve met. It’s very strange, since I don’t usually believe in that stuff. And I know I’ve never met you before,” she stated.

Then, realizing that she had let her guard down, she felt compelled to add, “Now don’t let that go to your head, ‘propaganda’! I don’t have time to be falling in love with you, so don’t you dare fall in love with me! I’ve got a life to get back on track, and some serious catching up to do with my career as a reporter.”

Clark smiled. Just the fact that she said it, probably meant it was starting to happen. Their soul mate connection was starting to surface. Feelings for him were stirring inside of her. But stubborn ‘Mad Dog Lane’ would take some wearing down. He was a patient man.

“Lois Lane, you’re a beautiful woman. You could have any man you want, you know. You could call the shots. And that fire in your eyes just makes you more attractive. I’m putty in your hands.”

Lois looked in Clark’s eyes, her demeanor softening, and said with sincerity, “You know, I really appreciate this gorgeous outfit, this beautiful city, and dinner. It was very special, and I have to admit, even though I have sworn off men, if I was going to make an exception, it might be you.”

Just at that moment, Clark cocked his head. Lois, having never seen Clark do that before, asked, “What? What? Are you hearing something I can’t hear?”

“There’s a bank robbery in progress. I have to go. Wait here,” said Clark, disappearing from Lois’ view.

Suddenly, Clark turned around and before Lois knew it he was back. “That was quick!” said Lois.

“I don’t have my suit with me. And if the Parisian press gets wind I was here, and it gets back to Metropolis, the Daily Planet will have my head for leaving Brazzaville and showing up here. It will turn into an international fiasco. But it really bothers me when I can’t help,” said Clark, resignedly.

“Wow, Clark, you have really made quite a sacrifice to come rescue me. You want to tell me why you agreed to do it? Besides the fact that you are the type of guy that can’t say no when someone needs help?”

“Because I’m the only one that can do it, Lois. And because, from what I heard about you, I was going to get the chance to meet the best investigative reporter in all of Metropolis, and…. the most beautiful, the most stubborn, and the bravest…..why on earth would I pass up that chance?” Clark responded, smiling ear to ear.

“Ok, ‘propaganda’, I still feel like there’s a lot you’re not telling me. But I guess it’s time to change back into our ‘flying’ clothes and get back to Le Meridien and figure out our next move in this bizarre chess game we seem to be playing.”

They changed clothes in the adjacent rest rooms. Hanging their new clothes in a plastic garment bag, Clark and Lois rode the elevator to the top floor of Printemps. Clark quickly located the staircase to the roof, and they flew off, admiring the lights of the city, and la Tour-Eiffel.

Clark dropped down lightly on the roof of the hotel. It was about 10:15 p.m., which would make it 4:15 p.m. Metropolis time. Lois smiled at Clark as her feet touched the ground and he steadied her.
On impulse, she kissed him on the cheek.

“Thanks, Clark, for a wonderfully romantic evening,” she said softly to him. “A girl could really get used to these types of nights out.”

“And I could get used to taking you on them,” he said, taking the opportunity to kiss her lightly on the lips and give her a gentle hug. While Lois didn’t kiss him back, she didn’t pull away or flinch, either. Progress!

====================
Metropolis
Daily Planet Newsroom

“Hi, Perry, to what do I owe the honor of another visit? Does it have something to do with Clark and Lois? Funny, I haven’t received an e-mail from Clark since he left,” said James.

“Really? Huh, he’s been in touch with me, but for some reason, he’s not using his usual DP e-Mail address. Do you know why?” Perry asked, trying not to divulge too much information to Clark’s boss.

“No. I’ve sent him several e-mails, with no response. Peculiar. How is he doing? He located Lois, I presume?”

“Yes, he did, and he was also asking me about a Mark Boyle. Are you familiar with him?”

“Of the BBC? Sure. Ah, that’s right, he’s over in Brazzaville right now, covering the post-war economy and such. A joint venture with Le Choc, the AP, and the BBC. But I also heard he may be moonlighting on the side,” said James. “That rumor goes way back, from the Luthor Corp days.”

“Yeah, same thing I heard. Hey I know you’re a computer whiz and all. What type of firewall do you have to protect the integrity of the DP’s server? I would hate for the wrong parties to find out that Clark’s assignment over there is specifically to bring Lois home. The poor gal’s been hiding for ten years to protect her family. You never know who else may be out to get her,” said Perry.

“I designed it myself. It’s called ‘Olgate’. State of the art, impenetrable, completely safe,” James assured him.

“Is there anyone else that is familiar with its inner workings?” inquired Perry.

“Well, my cousin Timmy, he’s the new research assistant for the investigative reporters. He’s as good as I am with computers. Must be a family gene, I guess,” he replied, grinning. “But Perry, get to the point. You’re after something, here, and you’re not good at subtlety,” asserted James.

Perry studied James Olson’s eyes. He decided that if there was a bad guy here, it wasn’t him. Years of trusting his intuition, hoping it didn’t fail him now, when Clark and Lois needed him so much.

“All right, Clark thinks there something wrong with the DP web server,” Perry admitted. “He specifically told me not to e-mail him at the DP address. He didn’t say why, but it doesn’t take an old fool like me to figure out that he’s afraid that someone’s reading his mail.

“And, by the way, your father’s in town and wants to meet with me tomorrow morning at 10:00 a.m. Any idea why the NSA wants to meet with the Mayor’s office?” Perry asked.

“No, Dad and I haven’t spoken in several years. You know that, Perry,” he replied.

“That’s a shame son, family is family.”

“We’ve had this discussion before, Mr. Mayor.”

“Yes, we have, and we’re going to keep having it,” winked Perry. “So, not to change the subject, but you’re absolutely sure your computer system can’t be hacked into?”

“If it makes you feel better, I’ll run some tests tonight. I developed an interloper system that simulates hacking behavior. If there are any soft spots, this system will find them,” he assured Perry.

===========================

Back at Le Meridien for the night, Lois and Clark changed into comfortable “getting ready for bed but not sexy” clothes so they could hang out and discuss what Lois knew about Luthor Corp and their lucrative gun-running operation. Clark had gone downstairs to the restaurant and brought up two cups of tea. Lois had another box of chocolates open to snack on as well. Munching helped jog her memory, she joked. Truth was, Lois had long since lost her notes but the information had been permanently etched in her brain.

Lois began the story where she had previously left off – right after Claude had betrayed her, stealing her story, ten years ago.

Lex Luthor had asked Lois out on a few occasions back in 1993. Since she was still reeling from Claude’s betrayal, she turned him down several times. When a lead from her favorite source, Johnny Jabbermouth, indicated that Luthor Corp had a covert operation in the Congo, assisting the rebel faction there, Lois decided to finally accept one date from Lex, hoping that it would help her dig up some additional leads for an exposé.

She remembered the night of their only date as clearly as if it were yesterday. The limo picked her up in front of the Daily Planet. Next thing she knew, they were on a private plane heading to San Francisco. It was a Friday night, and soon they had checked in to the Penthouse suite at the Fairmont Hotel, with a roaring fire warming the sunken living room and Lex’s personal servants catering to their every need.

They dined alone with romantic background music playing on the terrace overlooking the city and San Francisco Bay. Afterwards, sitting outside enjoying the beautiful view, they sipped on fine wine and enjoyed good conversation. Lois, mindful of her mission in accepting this date, made a few comments about the unrest in Africa and how inhumane the conditions were there. How the war would be resolved more equitably, if it weren’t for the weapons being supplied illegally to the rebel Ninjas fighting with the government in power. She thought at one point that Lex appeared a tad uncomfortable but he was careful not to divulge any useful information to her.

Of course, after several glasses of wine, Lois’ innocent remarks began to resemble veiled accusations –at least to someone that possessed Lex’s sharp criminal mind. Lois figured, hindsight being 20-20, that it was then that Luthor decided Lois was a threat to be dealt with. Nonetheless, he continued to be charming, and he was a perfect gentleman, ending the night with a simple light kiss on the lips.

Lois had her own room, complete with jacuzzi. Her bedroom and Lex’s shared a common wall. After they had kissed goodnight, she heard phone calls being made in the next room.

Putting her ear up to the wall seemed futile. She picked up the phone in her room, covered the receiver end with a towel, and listened to the conversation.

Lex was talking to a man with a heavy British accent that he referred to as “Nigel” and also to someone, definitely an American, named “Lenny”. It appeared to be a conference call. They spoke about a weapons shipment which would be disguised as food and clothing for the relief organizations operating in Congo Brazzaville. It would be leaving Presley Airport via a LexAir cargo plane within the next 48 hours. He also warned them that there was now “another problem” that needed to be taken care of.

Lois, starting to feel paranoid that Lex knew she was listening in, hung up the phone, and climbed into bed, contemplating her next move. Should she try to stowe away on the plane? No, she better try to get Perry’s authorization, since it was an unfriendly country to travel to as it was.

When they returned to Metropolis, Lex told her he’d call her again. She made it appear that she was open to his invitation, but had no intention of ever dating him again. She went straight to Perry and begged him for an opportunity to travel overseas and track down any shipments arriving at the Brazzaville airport via LexAir. Perry, after much heated discussion with Lois, reluctantly agreed that she could go.

She was never able to prove that he was indeed providing weapons to the dissonants there because nearly as soon as she got off the plane at the airport she was mugged, beaten, nearly raped, strip searched, and brought to the outskirts of the city and dumped in the middle of the jungle. Her captors, who were Congolese rebels, warned her never to attempt to return to the United States, or her family’s lives would be in jeopardy. She realized that she had hit a nerve and that possibly Lex was aware she had been listening on the phone and had set her up. And here she was, ten years later.

Lois knew that Luthor was dead, but asked Clark to give her some background information on his passing, as she had not been able to get in-depth American news during her time as a refugee.

Clark advised her that in mid-2002, Luthor Corp had fallen victim to a mysterious takeover bid. Even though Lex owned more than 51% of the common stock, the unknown suitor managed to drive the stock price up to an obscene level, then after amassing more than a one-third interest, sold it all the next day at a huge loss, throwing the entire company in financial chaos. Rumors of insider trading became rampant. When Lex’s dead body was found on the sidewalk below the Luthor Corp building several days later, it appeared that he had committed suicide. Bill Henderson and the Metropolis PD failed to issue any warrants in the case. Rumors that disgruntled employees had initiated the takeover bid started to circulate. But to buy high and sell low, the suitor(s) must have been well-heeled.

Nigel St. John, Luthor’s “administrative assistant” disappeared soon afterwards. Luthor Corp’s executives, in order to survive, sought a merger with another company, and was absorbed into the Fortune-500 Edge Enterprises. The businesses that were doing well under Luther Corp (LNN, LexAir, LexCom) remained largely intact. They were simply renamed as a subsidiary of Edge Enterprises. Morgan Edge, the CEO, was also rumored to have dealings with the underworld. Similar to Luthor, he appeared to have a “Teflon” effect….so far, not even Superman had been able to pin any wrongdoings on him.

Lois advised Clark that when she read that Luthor was dead of an apparent suicide, she began to feel comfortable that it was safe to come back to the States. After all, in the last ten years, she had been left largely alone. Her life was a miserable Hell but she had only been threatened that one time. As long as she kept a low profile as Linda, no one bothered with her.

With that, Lois felt she had brought Clark up to speed on all she knew. Why someone would all of sudden take an interest in her after all these years was surprising. The war was over, and with the CEO dead, and the company no longer in existence, did it really matter now if Luther Corp was previously involved in illegal activities?

“Well, Lois, if Mark Boyle has a tie-in with all of this, one would guess that he is now working directly or indirectly for Edge Enterprises. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nigel St. John isn’t too far away either. After all, if you can hide here in the jungle for ten years, if might be a great spot for him as well.

“I can’t figure out who “Lenny” might be though. I’m going to have to our new research assistant, Timmy Carlson, see if he can find a correlation between that first name and Luthor Corp,” stated Clark. “Timmy is James’ first cousin, and he is quite a computer geek as well.”

“Great idea, Clark, but one problem: if you’re afraid to use the DP web server, then how will you get in touch with him, and how do you know that his research isn’t being tracked by our unknown ‘hacker’?” asked Lois. “Unless you know this Timmy’s home e-mail address or something.”

“Good point, and one I think that we should sleep on. It’s about 1:00 a.m. Ready for bed?” smiled Clark.

“Yes, actually, it’s been a really full day,” replied Lois. She got up from the couch and leaned down to give Clark a friendly good night kiss on the lips. “Good night, Clark.”

Clark stood up, cupping Lois’ head in his hands, and kissed her back. He felt her stiffen slightly, so he stopped and looked into her eyes, hoping that he could find a connection there.

“Lois, I want to tell you so much, but I can’t yet,” whispered Clark. “If you only knew ……”

“Clark, I feel something for you too, but I don’t know if it’s because I’ve been away from civilization for so long, or because it’s real. I’m going to need a lot of time to sort it out,” explained Lois.

“I understand, Lois. Take all the time you need. I’ll be here,” promised Clark.

“Thank you Clark. You are a really nice guy. You’re just the kind of person that I needed to be with after my long ordeal. Thank you for being you. And if I get wound up sometimes, and don’t seem like I appreciate you, don’t take it personally. It’s just my ‘Mad Dog” personality taking over,” smiled Lois.

“I’m all too familiar with that part already,” grinned Clark.

And with that they settled in their rooms for the night, setting their alarms for 7:30 a.m.

Clark, floating in his sleep as he often did, didn’t call for his imaginary Lois. He could feel and smell the presence of the real one nearby.

TBC

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"