From Chapter Six

Metropolis,
New Troy

He hung up the phone. [Boyle better come through for me], he thought. [He owes me some favors back from some twenty years ago or more].

The phone rang. “Yes, it’s me. Really? Ok. Thanks for the information. Keep in touch. Oui, au revoir.”

[Damn! Looks like the Boy Scout is going to stick to her like glue. Only one thing that will stop him. How can I get it to Brazzaville in time? Hmmm. I have some friends over at Presley Airport that owe me some favors too.]

He picked up the phone and pressed the intercom button for his secretary, Tonya.

“Tonya, get me ‘airport security’ at Presley Airport ASAP,”

“Yes, sir, right away” was the reply.

=============================

Chapter Seven

Clark and Lois both checked their e-mails, but to no avail. No enlightening e-mails had been sent to either of them. Due to the time difference, it was 2:00 a.m. back in Metropolis, so Clark reasoned he wouldn’t hear back from Perry until later in the afternoon.

They decided the best use of their time would be to get Lois to one of the three hospitals in Brazzaville for the necessary shots, blood tests, and medical check-up she would need to board the plane back to the United States. The closest hospital was “Blanche Gomez”. Clark obtained directions from the front desk clerk.

Since it was a walk of several miles, and Lois felt up to it, they headed out on foot. Lois seemed eager to talk about the horrors she had witnessed in the last ten years.

During the years she had been there, she had become friendly with the many people working for the humanitarian relief organizations there, particularly WFP, WHO, Doctors Without Borders, and UNICEF. The job was insurmountable, but the volunteers did what they could. They were the true heroes.

She spoke with passion about the pregnant women and children who had died of malaria. How the rebel forces would break into their camps at night and rape and beat women. How it was almost impossible to stay in one location for more than several days. How she tried to remain anonymous and keep a low profile, for the sake of her family’ safety.

Clark didn’t want to pry. He wondered, as feisty as Lois was, if she had been a victim of any of the violence imposed on the women in the refugee camps. When she was ready to fully open up to him, he would simply be there to listen. He hoped she would some day feel comfortable sharing the more private horrors of the experience with him. He admired her for being a true survivor in an inhospitable environment.

They finally arrived at Blanche Gomez Hospital. Because service was provided on a first-come, first-serve basis, they resigned themselves to a wait of several hours.

Lois pulled a small box of chocolates from her pants pocket. “Clark, you don’t know how long it has been and how good this tastes to me. I missed my coffee and chocolates the most. Does that sound silly?” she asked.

“Lois, after what you’ve been through, even if it did sound silly, you deserve it. I really admire you and your strength of character. You’re quite a woman, you know.” Clark remarked.

“I know,” Lois said, with a smile. “Don’t you ever forget it, ‘Mr. Propaganda’!”

“That’s not possible, trust me, Lois,” said Clark sincerely.

By the time they returned to Le Meridien, it was nearly 4:00 p.m. Clark went up to the internet kiosk sign-up sheet. There was a spot open at 6:00 p.m. It would be 12:00 noon at home. There should have been some response from Perry by then! He entered his name on the sheet. Looking up, he spotted Lois chatting with none other than Mark Boyle!

Clark quickly walked over to where they were talking. “Mark, I’m surprised to see you again. To what do we owe the pleasure?” Clark asked, a slight edge evident in his voice.

“Kent, great to see you too,” he said with a bit of sarcasm. “I was just wondering when you were planning on leaving?”

“We’re not quite sure yet. Lois has to go back to the hospital in a few days to pick up her medical certificates and blood test results. Then we will check the airline schedule and see if we can switch our tickets. They were purchased ahead of time and therefore are dated several months from now. It wasn’t clear how long it would take for me to actually locate Lois,” Clark explained.

He hadn’t had a chance to hear back from Perry, so he was being careful not to divulge anything specific to Mark.

Mark turned to look directly at Lois. “Perhaps we could have dinner tonight,” he suggested. He made it clear that his invitation extended only to Lois.

“Mark, Clark and I have dinner plans this evening, but how about having a quick coffee with us in the restaurant here?” Lois suggested.

“That sounds quite good,” replied Mark.

They sat down and ordered their coffees. Lois even put real sugar in hers this time.

“So, Mark, tell me some ‘Perry stories’. You said you guys go way back, huh?” Lois said.

“Yes, when I was a neophyte reporter with the London Times, Perry was a foreign correspondent for the Daily Planet stationed in Great Britain. He got stuck covering the Prince Charles – Lady Sarah wedding back in 1981, and so did I. We ended up hanging out in the same pub, complaining about having to cover it – I think he described it as a ‘puff piece’. I never heard that expression before. It was a bloody hoot!

Clark and Lois both smiled upon hearing the familiar phrase. That sounded like something Perry would say.

“Anyway, we ended up closing the place that night. We’ve kept in touch through the years, more on a professional basis than a personal one. We’ve helped each other out with leads, etc, when we could. I’m assuming that after he found out that our Lois here was alive, he starting surfing the web for information about the post-war conditions here. He probably spotted one of my articles on the BBC.com website and managed to track me down here,” Mark speculated.

Clark looked at Lois, and he just knew, somehow, that they had a singular thought: was Mark aware that Perry was now Mayor of Metropolis, and no longer the editor of the Daily Planet? How could they trip him up, since they hadn’t gotten an e-mail back from Perry yet?

“So when Perry e-mailed you, did he give you any details about why he thought Lois might not be safe?” Clark inquired.

“His e-mail just said that he had heard a rumor that something may be going down, and to keep a close watch on Lois until you got here, Kent. Which, after meeting her,” he said, “I didn’t mind doing at all.” Mark flashed his most charming smile at Lois, saying, “You look even more beautiful today, Lois, now that you’ve had a chance to freshen up.”

“Thanks, Mark, you’re very sweet to say that,” replied Lois, feeling a bit flushed. Mark was a very attractive man, and the British accent didn’t hurt either; in fact, he looked as if he could have been Clark’s older brother.

“How did you know Lois would be in the hotel lobby?” Clark pressed on.

“Actually, Kent, I came to Le Meridien to see if you had checked in yet. Before I could get to the front desk to find out, Lois rushed up to me, thinking that I was you. I guess from a distance, we look a bit alike,” said Mark.

“Yes, Clark, that’s right”, Lois interjected. “I had been waiting for a tall, white male, with dark hair and glasses. And Mark here fit the bill. So I went right up to him and said, “ ‘Clark? It’s Lois!’ Imagine my embarrassment when he told me he wasn’t you.”

“From the description Perry gave me, and the fact that you said your name was Lois, I just assumed you were Lois ‘Lane’. And, correctly so, it seems,” smiled Mark.

[OK, let’s stop the mutual admiration society and get back on track, Lois], Clark thought to himself.

“So, did Perry e-mail you from home or from work?” asked Clark.

“I assumed it was sent from the Daily Planet, of course,” said Mark. “I didn’t pay much attention to the e-mail address, now that you mention it. I saw ‘PWhite’ and just knew it was from him.”

[BINGO! He didn’t know that Perry was now Mayor of Metropolis! They may have known each other, but they couldn’t have been in touch for at least the last 7 years. Perry was elected Mayor in 1996, and he was currently serving his second term in office, having been re-elected in the year 2000. Ok, now to try to find out who he’s working for].

They finished their coffees and walked back out to the hotel lobby.

“Well, Mark, it was good to see you again. Stay in touch. I’ll say hi to Perry for you,” Clark said, trying to wrap things up so he and Lois could brainstorm this development back in the hotel room.

“Lois, I must ask again. Is there any chance you and I could have dinner before you leave us?” Mark asked, kissing Lois’ hand.

Clark felt his face start to betray his inner feelings, which were a mixture of anger and jealousy. He was sure that Mark’s interest in Lois was not romantic; he just wanted to get her alone, without Clark’s supervision. For what? To kill her? To drug her to get information?

“I’m not sure, Mark. I don’t know how much longer we’re going to be here,” Lois replied. “And I’m not going anywhere without Clark, here, until I get back to the States. We have a deal of sorts.”

[Whew, good answer, Lois], thought Clark.

“Well, then, I’ll check back with you in several days. Perhaps, if nothing else, I could give you a lift to the airport?” offered Mark, “and see you off properly.”

“Perhaps,” Lois said. “I can’t commit to anything right now, Mark.”

“Well, good day then. Good-bye, Kent.” And with that, he turned on his heel and left the hotel lobby.

As soon as he was out of sight, Clark grabbed Lois’ arm and said, “C’mon Lois, it’s our time to check our e-mail, then we need to figure out our next move here.” Lois, half listening to him, had a glazed look of sorts on her face.

“What? Don’t tell me you actually find him attractive? The man is probably out to kill you, and you’ve got a crush on him?” Clark said in an accusatory tone of voice.

“Clark, you’re being silly! What, are you jealous? Don’t worry, you’re still my ‘Mr. Propaganda’!”
teased Lois, flashing Clark a sexy smile.

Clark walked Lois over to one of the sofas in the lobby, so they could speak privately.

“Lois, are you bipolar or something? I can’t figure you out. One minute you’re yelling at me, the next you’re flirting with me. Don’t play with me that way. I’m you’re best friend right now, and I don’t want anything to happen to you. It took me long enough to finally find you,” Clark said, his animation getting the better of him. All of a sudden it occurred to him what had slipped out of his mouth.

“Clark, I’m just teasing you. Don’t be so serious! And what did you mean? You found me almost right away. You got here, you went to the church, then you went to Le Choc, and you found me. Why did you just say that?” Lois said, with persistence in her voice.

“Lois, it was an expression. That’s all. I mean I traveled in an airplane for 18 hours, had to endure a kryptonite-coated needle just so I could get my stupid Yellow Fever vaccine, which I don’t need, by the way….and, I lost my powers for a day recovering from that….it just feels like I’ve been looking for you forever,” Clark replied, trying to think on his feet. [God, being around Lois turns you into a babbler], thought Clark with a slight smile.

“OK, I’ll drop it for now, but I have a feeling there is more to this than you’re saying. Call it women’s intuition,” she said. “Anyway, let’s check our e-mail and see if Perry replied. Oh, and by the way, what’s ‘kryptonite’? Let me guess. A rock from the planet you came from?”

“Yes, but it’s not the kind of souvenir you can put up on a shelf to display. Frankly, it’s the only thing that can kill me,” said Clark.

“And…..it’s public information that this stuff can hurt you?” Lois exclaimed.

“Yes. We can talk about that later, Lois. Do you want to go first, or shall I?” asked Clark, as they sat down at the available internet kiosk.

“You go. Let’s see if Perry replied.”

Clark logged on to Yahoo.com. 2 messages!

First one was from Perry. While Lois looked over Clark’s shoulder, they both took a collective deep breath waiting for the message to open.

==================
To: CJKent@Yahoo.com
Re: Re: Please Read ASAP!

“Kent, I do know Mark Boyle, but we haven’t been in touch in years. I had heard he was involved with Luthor Corp’s overseas operations at one point in time. Like a public relations guy for them. Put a spin on their bad publicity. They were linked to the gun-running operation there, which is how Lois convinced me to send her there. You know, Luthor’s former right hand man, Nigel St. John, is also British. St. John was in charge of their overseas operations. He probably had something to do with Lois being marooned over there. There might be a connection between Mark and him. St. John’s whereabouts have been a mystery since Luthor died. Perhaps Mark knows where he is and wants to protect his interests.

Anyway, if you’ve seen Mark, please use caution with him. He and I had a falling out because he burned me on a few stories. Gave me false leads and then turned around and scooped me. Don’t let his charming façade fool you. I know you’re the trusting type, Kent. You like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Hanging around with Lois should change that. She doesn’t trust anyone!

I haven’t spoken with James (Olson) since you left. I don’t know what’s going on, but you’re giving me a bad feeling here. Maybe I’ll pop over to the Planet today and see what this old newshound can dig up. I get the impression that you think that something’s afoul over there.

Hmmm… interestingly, his Dad, John Olson, of the NSA, made an appointment with my secretary to meet with me tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. I’m not sure what it’s about yet. I just noticed it on the calendar while I was writing this. I’ll let you know if it’s related to any of this. James and his father don’t talk to each other anymore. I hate to see a father and son alienated from each other. James may be a Fortune-500 billionaire, but he’s only in his early thirties. Everyone needs family.

Well, just remember to get that gal of mine home safely. Give her my love. I sent her an e-mail also.

Write me back when you can.

Perry”
============================

“Just what I thought he was going to say,” said Clark. “I’m not sure what Mark’s game is, but he somehow knew that you were going to be waiting for me here. The rumor about the Planet’s web server being compromised must be true. How else would he know you were alive and meeting me here at Le Meridien?” Clark asked Lois.

“OK, OK, I guess you’re probably right,” admitted Lois. “This is typical of my luck with men,” she sighed.

“We’re not all untrustworthy, Lois. You just haven’t met the right man,” Clark informed her.

“Well, like I told you before, Clark, I’ve sworn off men anyway, so it doesn’t matter,” replied Lois.

[I can see I will have my work cut out for me. But first things first. Let’s get her home safely], Clark thought.

==========

Clark’s next e-mail was from his folks. He didn’t want to read it with Lois breathing over his shoulder. No doubt Ma had mentioned Lois in the e-mail and that would open up a can of worms.

“Clark, who is ‘JMLang’?” asked Lois. “An old girlfriend?”

“Long story. Old friends of mine from Smallville,” he said, which wasn’t really a lie.

“Well, it’s awfully friendly for ‘old friends’ to title an e-mail ‘Hi Honey”, isn’t it? C’mon, come clean. Who are they?” Lois’s investigative skills were coming back, full force.

“They’re like parents to me. They’re my old friends Lana and Pete’s Aunt and Uncle,” he said, figuring that some day when he told Lois the entire Alternate-Universe story, he would divulge their real identities at that time as well. “They live in my parents’ old farmhouse. I rent it out to them.”

“Yeah, right. And they like their landlord that much that they’re sending e-mails titled ‘hi honey’? Furthermore, you told me you would only give out this Yahoo e-mail address to a few people. Obviously, you’re really close, because they sent an e-mail to this address. Clark, I didn’t get to be a world-class investigative reporter for nothing!” retorted Lois. “Don’t you trust me?”

“Lois, please, I’ll explain it all later. Let’s just concentrate on the stuff that will get us – you – home faster, and safely,” Clark stated. “I’m going to sign on to the Daily Planet’s server now, and see what’s going on there. Then, you can check your mail. We can have dinner afterwards and figure out who’s really out to get you, and possibly why. You’re going to have to tell me everything you knew about Luthor Corp’s weapons exporting. That’s the only way we’re going to be able to put this together.

Ten minutes later, with no interesting e-mails to further enlighten either one of them, they signed off the computer.

“So, how would you like to go to Paris for dinner?” he asked. “It’s about nighttime, let’s go upstairs and change into something black.”

============================

Mark returned to his office at Le Choc and pulled up his e-mail. As expected, there was a new e-mail requesting a status report on “Operation Lane and Kent”. It was also mentioned that he should go to the Brazzaville airport tomorrow at 6:00 p.m. to obtain a package that would be waiting for him at the baggage claim office marked “confidential”. Enclosed, there would be further instructions.

TBC

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"