Admin note: I've edited the header for this, now that Robin has found a title for it, so that new readers don't get confused while looking for part one. smile

LabRat

Don't you like that unusual title? For some reason, the name has been giving me a fit. Not sure what to call it. So, we'll start this way.

This first section is very short. I read the 'evil' posts in the other forum and couldn't resist doing this. evil Seriously though, if I get enough clamor to finish, I'll post the rest. I don't usually post to the boards and especially when the fic is not complete, but I thought I'd try something different. Hope you like it.

+++++

“Are you serious?” Clark asked Lois with an incredulous expression on his face.

Lois, in usual fashion, crossed her arms and glared at him defiantly. Who did he think he was? Interfering in her life like this? She answered to no man, especially this one. If marrying Lex Luthor was what she wanted to do, she’d do it. The only problem was she didn’t want to. She’d also be damned if she’d let Clark know that.

“Lois,” Clark started in a softer tone. “Think about this. Do you really know him well enough to marry him?”

“That’s none of your business. What I do in my personal time is off limits!”

Clark sighed heavily. She’d just made it perfectly clear that she had a relationship with Luthor that went beyond what he’d imagined. The thought made him nauseous. How could such an intelligent woman be so ignorant when it came to the mighty philanthropist?

<<She’s ignorant about you.>> His conscience reminded him.

Another sigh to gather his thoughts and he looked at Lois sadly. “Do you love him?”

Lois could only stare at Clark. She hadn’t expected that question from him. Then again, why shouldn’t she? It was exactly something he would ask.

She dropped her arms slowly and turned to walk to the window in her living room. She stared out into the darkness, taking precious moments to gather her thoughts.

Lois was so confused. She’d been overwhelmed by Lex’s attention toward her in the beginning. He was successful, well educated, and he was taking the time out of his schedule to pursue her. If that wasn’t enough to impress any woman, she didn’t know what was.

Around the same time though, she started to notice someone else. She told herself at first that her attraction to this other man stemmed from the fact that she hadn’t had a relationship in so long. She just wanted the attention. But as the days went on, Lois became more aware of this man. His little pet peeves, his intelligence, his physical appeal, and his apparent infatuation with her were all that she thought about when she was alone. However, when she was with him, she tried her best to act as if she was oblivious to him at all. Now she couldn’t do that any more. She didn’t want to do it.

Lois turned to Clark with new resolve and determination. “No, Clark. I don’t love Lex.”

“Then why even consider his proposal?”

“Because, I was using him as a shield,” she answered flatly, her voice void of emotion in this instance.

“Excuse me?” Clark’s brows arched in confusion.

“About three months ago, I realized I was attracted to someone else. It scared the hell out of me, so I took Lex up on his offer to go out. I thought the distraction would lesson the appeal of this other man.”

Clark inwardly groaned. He was pretty sure she was talking about his alter ego and didn’t particularly want to hear this.

“It only made him more attractive.” Lois lowered her head momentarily before looking back up at Clark. “I realized a few weeks ago that I was in love with this man.”

There, she’d just confirmed his worst nightmare. He closed his eyes briefly to get hold of his raging emotions. When he opened them, Lois was standing inches from him. Suddenly his heart was pounding loudly in his ears. He didn’t want to hear her undying love for the one-sided character he’d created.

“I’ve been denying it ever since because… because I was afraid that if I admitted it, it would change things between us.”

<<Huh?>> What was she talking about now?

Lois lifted her hand to cup Clark’s cheek in her palm. “Clark, I am so in love with you,” she whispered.

tbc(maybe)