Next Thread
Print Thread
G
gerry Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
G
Interesting premise, Ann. I'm curious to see what you do to Kevin before he's okay again, and what you'll do to Clark.

Lana, by the way, is no good for him. Tell him to drop her now. wink

gerry

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
standing in for the older Kents -- ditch her now, Clark! laugh

What on earth is Kevin going to think? It's not like he's ever heard of anyone having these powers before... if he gets into the news, Clark'll figure it out -- and Lana will have a cow! goofy Maybe that'll be the final straw for Clark...

And I can't help but notice that Lana's in Metropolis -- will he be goaded into visiting, and run into a certain journalism student named Lois? <g>

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
What a *fascinating* premise, Ann: a power transfer before anyone knows Superman even exists! I also noted that you left in plenty of angst-possibilities, with Clark berating himself for allowing the risk in the first place.

Good (as in, horrible) Lana cameo -- *we*, the readers, see her comments for what they are, while Clark clings to his very rose-colored glasses in screening her remarks and emotions. And this is coming from someone incapable of wholly condemning Lana Lang of the alt-verse, although I do note that you set the story early enough in their history that I don't mind! wink

Could you educate me, please, and tell me how to pronounce "Dubeque"? I'm guessing it's something like "Duh-boo" only because of your title's play-on-words, but I'd appreciate a clarification.

This looks like it will be a nice long satisfying story, so let's have MORE!

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
Kerth
Kerth
ohh, wonder how are you going to develop this! smile

more soon!! smile1

Jose hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Merriwether
Merriwether
Hazel, it's "da BYUK" -- here's a link to a sound file .

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Very Interesting. thumbsup

From that point on, she was his world, his companion, his lover, and his confidant. After a while, he even summoned the courage to tell her everything, to show her all the things that he could do. The risks in sharing that with anyone were many, and he knew that all too well, but he thought she would love him regardless of what he was and where he was really from. But that gift of infinite understanding that she had didn’t seem to extend to this one thing, and as he told her the whole truth, he saw her eyes widen and her mouth curl up into a smile that looked about as real as the Jackelope hanging on the wall of Maisie’s Cafe. Maybe it had been a shock, he told himself. Maybe she just needed time to absorb it, but something about her eyes after that night told him that there was something deeper going on. It probably wasn’t a coincidence that she made her announcement about Metropolis University shortly after that, but back then, he had chosen not see the correlation.
Don't like Lana. She is up to something? confused

He looked up toward the sky to try and find that telltale sign of an impending strike just as a white bolt of heat shot from the clouds. In less time than it took to blink, electricity arced toward and through him, grounding itself in the concrete at his feet. The force of the bolt threw him backward through the air and onto the empty bleachers. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see a streak of safety orange flying in the opposite direction, and a sickening feeling began to form in the pit of his stomach.
Was he touching someone? confused

More ASAP, please.

MAF thumbsup

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Interesting, Ann.

I've never been one for pre-Metropolis stories, but this premise has lots of promise. <g> I rather like Kevin... so will he lose his powers sooner or later? Looking forward to more soon.

LauraBF

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Interesting premise.

Since the transfer happened through the metal railing rather than actual contact (not unlike the airplane), you have the ability to put a time limit on Kevin's powers if you wish to. Clever.

Lana is appropriately obnoxious.

One small problem which you might want to take a few sentences to correct. While it's true that football is played in rain, snow, sleet, and high winds, once lightning has been established to be a threat the game would be called. Lightning is the exception to any rule for outdoor games because of the risk to players and fans. So the game might have been going on in the absense of any clear threat, but once there was a strike, the game would have been called. Usually it's enough to just have lightning seen in the general area.

Tank (who likes to stand outside during thunderstorms to watch the lightning)

Top Banana
Top Banana
I would like to see Lana be a class mate of Lois' at Metropolis U.

You've got a wide open playing field here, Ann, because this time line (pre-Metropolis) in the ALt-Universe is rarely broached.

Lots of creativity and things you can do!

Look forward to more.

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
Top Banana
Top Banana
Cool start and an interesting premise. I LIKE IT!

thumbsup thumbsup

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Thank you everyone for your kind comments. And thanks, Rivka, for posting a pronunciation of Dubuque (duh-bYOUk). Not only is it a nice town in Iowa, it's also a canned ham wink

Tank, thanks for your note on the football game and weather. Fortunately I've never been at a game where lightning has been an issue. I'll get that spiffed up for the archive version.

I'm going to try and keep a pretty regular posting schedule on this. I'm glad you've all enjoyed the story so far and I hope you enjoy the remainder.

AnnN

To thine own self be true.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Ann

Sorry for being late.
A very intriguing premise! goofy I hope Kevin can handle his new powers.

I can't wait to see where this is headed. hyper

Tricia cool

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice to see you back, Ann. I'm recognising a familiar style in your writing, which is nice. smile

So, an Alt-world and a younger Clark and Lana; lots of scope for angst, as Hazel says. wink And so we have two power-transfer stories now - sounds like a lot of fun on the way too!

Okay, time for part 2, I think?

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard