#11469 03/19/04 11:41 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#11470 03/19/04 11:47 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Clark!!! Just tell her!!!

ARGHGHGH

I remember in the original (1978) Superman movie, Clark practices telling Lois that he's Superman in front of a mirror, before they go out on a date. Chris Reeve takes off the glasses, his whole face changes to Superman, his posture is better....then the minute Lois walks into the room, he chickens out and puts the glasses on and starts to slump again!!!

That was why Chris Reeve was such a great Superman. He could change to Clark with his facial expressions!!! Didn't need glasses.

So.....Clark, get some oom-pah-pahs and tell her!!

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
#11471 03/19/04 02:17 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
So, who was right here? He wanted to believe that he was, but he wasn’t sure.
He had known she wanted to talk about last night, but he wasn’t ready to deal with his other personality, especially when he knew that he was in the wrong, wasn’t he?
smile1

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#11472 03/19/04 03:32 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've been remiss in commenting on this great story..sorry! frown

I want to kick Clark..arg! He is stuck in a problem of his own making obviously..tell her dummy! laugh

Looking forward to more -

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
#11473 03/19/04 03:54 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ditto Clark tell her. She 'll be mad though. But she'll eventually get over it. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#11474 03/19/04 04:46 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Great Part clap Loved Lois and Clark conversation. And I agree with others: he needs to tell her the truth. The more he lies to her from now on, the more dificult it will be for her to forgive him.

But, as Clark, he had warned her against Luthor several times. Granted, he never told her what he suspected. He just cautioned her, hoping that her instincts would make her question Luthor’s motives. But instead of listening to him, she had only taken his words of warning as signs of his jealousy.
"I told you," Clark said in a hushed voice, "You didn’t believe me."

"That was you, Clark. You didn’t tell me that Lex was a criminal. You just told me to watch out for him; he wasn’t what he seemed to be."

"And you didn’t believe me."

"You didn’t offer me any evidence."

"So why would you believe Superman?"

"Because Superman didn’t have a vested interest."
As I said before I believe Lois has the right to be angry and hurt, but if she is angry at Superman she should be angry at Clark as well(Clark admited to himself he never told her why he suspected Luthor or what he knew). If she is not angry at Clark for not telling her what he knew about Luthor, then she shoudn't be so angry at Superman either.

Ingra

Clark: What is that?
Lois: It's my word.
Clark: There is no such word.
Lois: Sure there is. Someone's a chump, therefore, he's chumpy.
Clark: Try again.
Lois: Are you challenging me?
Clark: You bet your sweet little chumpy I am.
#11475 03/19/04 05:39 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Gerry, I'm sorry I haven't been commenting, but I have been reading. This is a different take on the whole aftermath of the BatP/HoL arc. I'm riveted.

Clark, confused by where Superman begins and Clark ends, never tells Lois why he doesn't trust Luthor and therefore lets her nearly ruin her life and the lives of everyone around her.

Like everyone else, we were probably shouting as early as Neverending Battle for Superman to tell her! At any point from then on, Clark could have told her in the suit his reasoning. He could have saved a lot of heart ache for both of them. She may have even believed Clark back then before she became convinced Clark was merely jealous.

"That was you, Clark. You didn’t tell me that Lex was a criminal. You just told me to watch out for him; he wasn’t what he seemed to be."
Now this sentence I do disagree with. Clark was accusing Luthor of being evil even though he never mentioned specifics. It is true that he did warn her at the end of "Fly Hard" that Luthor wasn't who he seemed to be.

But in BatP right after Lex announced his takeover of the Daily Planet, Lois said, "Clark, can't you give up this idea that Lex Luthor is the root of all evil in Metropolis?" to which Clark replied, "Why should I give it up? It's true." And in HoL in the conversation in the convertible, Lois finishes Clark's sentence with, "...what: thief, gangster, psychopath, murderer?" Clark's answer was, "Maybe all of the above."

So Lois knew quite well before accepting the proposal and after that Clark didn't just mistrust Luthor, but clearly thought Lex was a criminal. It was just appalling she was never interested enough to ask him why, and that he never bothered to tell her why.

That she didn't believe him because she thought he was jealous is quite true since he'd been obviously attracted to her from the beginning, but it must have been galling for Clark to hear that she would have believed Superman and not Clark. While she's right that her hero should have told her, Clark's also justified in believing that Lois was hell-bent on being with Luthor no matter what he did.

I'm rather surprised Clark didn't fight harder when she said she couldn't forgive Superman. Clark, in his mind, seemingly believed that telling her as Superman wouldn't have worked since he couldn't separate himself from the superhero. But to sit passively and watch her dig his grave is surprising. He should have told her in stronger terms that Superman didn't bother because he didn't think she would listen. Granted, Superman tried to say that the night before, but he wasn't very convincing when saying it. Nor was Lois really listening to him.

Now, if Lois finds out that Clark is Superman, she could easily blow her top and refuse to ever talk to him again. The seed's been planted, so by not defending Superman and by not telling her who he is, he's getting in deeper trouble by the minute.

But then, that's Clark all over, isn't it? smile

Post the next part soon!

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#11476 03/19/04 09:43 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Gerry

WOW! A great part! smile1

Tricia cool

#11477 03/19/04 10:53 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great part, Gerry. In particular, I was impressed by the dialog - when I can actually "hear" the characters in my head, and the dialog is dead on, I'm in 7th heaven. Good job! thumbsup

I was going to quote my favorite part, but Maria beat me to it. Loved that button scene! LOL

From Lois' point of view, she has every right to be mad at Superman. There is no logical reason whatsoever for him to have sat back and done nothing while allowing her to marry a truly evil man. Only when we know the truth, that Superman is really Clark, do his actions begin to make sense.

Looking forward to Part 4! smile

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#11478 03/20/04 01:34 AM
Kerth
Kerth
yay!! A-plot!! smile1

Jose hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#11479 03/20/04 04:17 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Gerry, pretty much what Roger said.

It's terribly difficult to write stories based on, or that need to reference the Bat/HoL arc, and I'm surprised that they are as popular as they are. It's quite a challenge for the writer because they have to come up with ways to make the totally illogical actions of the characters seem logical.

It was probably one of the worst arcs for character assassination that the writers ever came up with. I would have to think that any story that uses much of that arc as canon would be more difficult because of the need to try and bring our heroes back into character.

It will be interesting to see if you can logically get Clark out of the incredibly deep hole you've allowed him to dig for himself. wink

Tank (who finds the fascination with the Bat/HoL arc incomprehensible)

#11480 03/21/04 05:24 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I liked this very much, Gerry. The scene where Lois almost fell through the floor was particularly well done - liked Clark levitating to pull her back up, and I especially liked the way she clung to him afterwards. Aww! smile

The conversation about Clark, Superman and Luthor was good, too. I hear what Roger's saying about Clark's warnings prior to the abortive wedding, but I think a lot of this is simply missed signals and misunderstanding. Yes, Clark did try to tell Lois more than just to watch out for Luthor, but by the time he did that she wasn't actually listening to what he was saying. All she was hearing was jealousy on his part. Sometimes we don't always hear what the other person is saying to us; we hear what we think they're saying. Anyway, I think that's easily fixed by having Clark point out that he did say more than Lois acknowledges, but that neither of them was really listening to the other by then.

Looking forward to more!!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#11481 03/21/04 06:27 AM
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Once again, thank you for the positive feedback. I'm glad that you're enjoying my take on these incidents.

Thank you also for the interesting discussion. Roger said,
Now this sentence I do disagree with. Clark was accusing Luthor of being evil even though he never mentioned specifics. It is true that he did warn her at the end of "Fly Hard" that Luthor wasn't who he seemed to be.

But in BatP right after Lex announced his takeover of the Daily Planet, Lois said, "Clark, can't you give up this idea that Lex Luthor is the root of all evil in Metropolis?" to which Clark replied, "Why should I give it up? It's true." And in HoL in the conversation in the convertible, Lois finishes Clark's sentence with, "...what: thief, gangster, psychopath, murderer?" Clark's answer was, "Maybe all of the above."
Yes, you're right he did tellher that Lex was evil, but by that time Lex had proposed and Lois was thinking about it. By the time Clark tells her that Lex is a thief etc. the wedding has been planned and the dress designed.

So, I have to agree with Wendy here,
Yes, Clark did try to tell Lois more than just to watch out for Luthor, but by the time he did that she wasn't actually listening to what he was saying. All she was hearing was jealousy on his part.
...and it works so much better for my story :rolleyes:

I'm reading your comments carefully and using what helps my tell my story in a better way.

So I'm going to look over part 4 for a couple of minutes, to make sure that there are no typos and stuff and then post it.

gerry

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard