Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. drool

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Michael, I haven't commented on this story previously, mainly because I wasn't sure what I thought of it; some of your 'canon' seemed more from the comics than from L&C, and I'm not a comics fan, yet it seemed unfair to comment in any way on that given that you had made clear that you're writing an Elseworld which draws on some comic continuity.

That said... I have been reading, and with greater interest as more instalments have been posted, and finally today I decided that I owe it to you to tell you that I've been reading and that your writing has overcome my somewhat anti-comics 'bias'. I really like what you did a couple of instalments ago around post-traumatic stress, and how that's preyed on Clark's mind since. Nice work with the broken jaw!

Your characterisation is really interesting. I like your Lois very much, and you write Henderson and Sawyer excellently. Batman was a surprise, but - strangely, given that I'm not a comics fan - I really enjoyed his cameo role here. You show him as an imposing character, but I like the friendly relationship he and Clark clearly have. I have the impression that Batman, if not acting as a mentor to Clark, then at least performs a supportive elder-superhero role for him, and I like that a lot. I loved that he stole the Kryptonite bullets! thumbsup

All in all, a really nice story and some very promising writing - potentially a Best New Author nomination in your future, I suspect!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
“You broke his jaw?!”
“I didn’t mean to,”
laugh thumbsup

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Michael, another good instalment.

Lois was her classic self. I like your Henderson. It's fun to see the different versions of the cast of characters (whether they be L&C version or comic continuity) and the way you decide to use them.

The Batman cameo was good. It definitely shows the flavor of DC's current big hit... The Batman Superman comic book. Of course, as Wendy pointed out, this can be a liability to capturing readership. The comics aren't particularly popular with most L&C fans so the more comic continuity you include, the greater the risk of pushing away more potential gentle readers.

Me... I love it. I only wish the comics were written this well.

Looking forward to more.

Tank (who is glad that Clark/Superman did not kill)

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Great part Michael thumbsup Loved the Superman/Batman conversation. laugh Now Clark needs to talk to Lois.

Ingra

Clark: What is that?
Lois: It's my word.
Clark: There is no such word.
Lois: Sure there is. Someone's a chump, therefore, he's chumpy.
Clark: Try again.
Lois: Are you challenging me?
Clark: You bet your sweet little chumpy I am.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Michael

A fantastic part!
Extremely well-written! smile1

Tricia cool

Top Banana
Top Banana
Michael, I hear the debate going on about comics vs L&C. I guess I am such a Superman fan that I will take my stories in any media I can get them.

I started reading DC comics when I was 9, largely because the Superman TV series with George Reeves was on in the afternoon and my older brothers left their comics lying around the house. (Yes, I am getting OLD!! Darn it!) Stopped reading them in high school, got interested again in 1978 after Superman:the Movie came out. Collected comics again from 1980 until 1993 when I was unemployed for a while (they aren't cheap these days, had to cut something out!)

Got re-interested in 2001 when WB's Smallville came out. This past summer I was on a cross-country trip and every morning before I left my motel room to drive another 400-500 miles I watched Lois & Clark on TBS. I discovered L&C Fanfiction in the Fall of 2003...and here I am!

Without the comics, there would be no Lois & Clark. Recently I purchased some hard-cover compiliations and the comics have gotten much better! I guess I will either read comics, watch Superman on TV or movies, or read fanfic until the day they put me down!@

I loved Batman's cameo, love how their approaches are so different, but yet they maintain a respectful friendship. Perhaps your fic will bridge the gap to FOLCs that never grew up reading comics!!! Keep bringing it on!

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Michael, sorry it's taken me so long to respond to this one. Same old, same old... smile Great Lois. Great Clark. Great Henderson. And, hey, here's a new one! *Great* Batman, especially the line re Alfred. laugh Now, if you *have* to bring Bats in again (his cameo was just right here!), you'll of course add Nightwing too, right? goofy Sorry, Wingnut speaking here. wink

I love Clark's discomfort with what he's done. His second-guessing is part of makes him such a wonderful Superman.

MORE!

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
First of all, I want to thank everyone for their kind words. I’ve posted a few things in other fandom and I’ve gotten some good feedback, but this place has always seemed like “the” place to be fic-wise. The feedback I’ve gotten here has been completely honest and not above giving me a nudge here or there, which has been a big help from the writing standpoint.

Like ChaaBreh, my relationship with comics has been a lifelong one, but I’ve loved Superman in all of his incarnations and so I find myself drawing on a lot of things with this fic. When John Byrne did his revisionist history in 1986 one of the few things I liked about it was the fact that the Kents lived. Still, as I’ve said elsewhere, I think it added a tragic side to the character for him to be orphaned twice. And I always found it interesting and a bit inspiring that the greatest champion of humanity was an alien that was totally alone in the world.

It’s become a bit of an inside joke with me to include Bruce Wayne in some shape or fashion with anything I write if it’s applicable, which is partially why I chose to include him here. The other part is that I needed someone for Clark to interact with on a completely open level and be able to discuss his doubts. Despite Byrne’s take on things I’ve always missed the two as “best friends”. Their particular approaches may differ, but at the core they are two people that are essentially alone in the world, both having been orphaned, yet chose to help others and cherish life. It just made sense that they would be friends.

Also, in today’s world where people pump their fists in the air and yell in delight when the Punisher mows down a criminal or Wolverine slices open an opponent I find it refreshing to see characters that prefer not to kill, go out of their way to avoid it, and actually be bothered by the thought of causing harm to another.

Finally, in reference to dear Hazel who asked me in the last section to be more attentive to Clark’s eye color, I must apologize. I’ve known the man for three decades and his eyes have always been blue. Even when L&C came out and brown eyes were referenced my mind reverted to my most favored defense of “denial” and I simply chose to hear “blue” in its place. smile

Speaking of appearance, if anyone hasn’t seen a copy of Alex Ross’ “Mythology” go to your local bookstore and give it a look. There’s a photo of a full sized wax figure of Superman that is based totally on Mr. Ross’ art and no living subjects. I may be indulging in pure fanboy geekiness, but I find it mesmerizing to stare into a face that looks as real as you or I, but is of an Icon I’ve known since age 5.

Again, thanks to everyone who responded. I’ll warn you in advance and ask for forgiveness and indulgence for just one or two other minor comic references in the coming parts. We’re over halfway though at this point as I reckon it with a few more parts to post. I hope everyone has enjoyed themselves so far because I want you to know that I definitely have. smile

Did is a word of achievement
Won't is a word of retreat
Might is a word of bereavement
Can't is a word of defeat
Ought is a word of duty
Try is a word of each hour
Will is a word of beauty
Can is a word of power

--Author Unknown

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard