Next Thread
Print Thread
#11320 03/16/04 10:42 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi,

Beautiful! mecry

Getting to know Lois was nice. It was fun. And I did - I do - find her attractive. But I was never in any danger of falling in love with her. Being with her showed me that I’m just not ready to move on yet.

It’s been six years, Jenna. More than time for me to come to terms with losing you and to learn to move on. And that’s why I’m writing to you now.

I need to say goodbye.

Goodbye to the most wonderful, special woman I ever knew. Goodbye to someone I will always remember. Someone beautiful, funny, smart, ambitious, never afraid of a challenge, who was determined, who had a passionate belief in right and wrong. Someone who loved her country and fought against those who threatened it. A woman who was loyal and dedicated. The best friend I have ever had and could ever have wished for.
sad

MAF sad

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#11321 03/16/04 10:50 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This was a very beautiful story, Wendy. I usually avoid reading other fics when I'm writing, but yours in one of the names along with Tank's that I can't resist taking a peak at when I see them attached to a new story. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to read this.

While I usually see Dan as a hinderance smile I liked him a lot here.

-Michael

Did is a word of achievement
Won't is a word of retreat
Might is a word of bereavement
Can't is a word of defeat
Ought is a word of duty
Try is a word of each hour
Will is a word of beauty
Can is a word of power

--Author Unknown
#11322 03/16/04 10:53 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Beautifully sad. mecry

Rest in peace, Yael.
AnnaBtG. frown

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#11323 03/16/04 10:53 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I've been thinking about Yael all day. I didn't really know her, but I did, in a way. It's been hard for me to figure out exactly what I've been feeling. It's hard to grieve for someone who's faceless, but I am grieving all the same.

This is a beautiful, heartwrenching tribute to Yael, Wendy, and I'm very moved by it.

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
#11324 03/16/04 10:54 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
whinging This was so sad! Poor Dan, I really feel sorry for him. It is beautifully written, and it really touched me on a level not many story have managed so far. mecry

Thank you for writing this story, Wendy.

Rest in Peace, Yael.

Saskia sad

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#11325 03/16/04 12:05 PM
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Reading your dedication has shaken me up quite a bit. I had no idea that Yael was killed in a terrorist attack.

The story you wrote, about loss, loving and saying good-bye is a wonderful and appropriate tribute.

Thank you for writing this very sensitive story.

gerry

#11326 03/16/04 12:46 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
While we were busy living, time was busy ticking away. I forgot what Benjamin Franklin once said: Does thou love life? Then do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of.
notworthy frown

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#11327 03/16/04 02:13 PM
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Wendy,
I meant to say the in my first post that I think that the name of the man who made the bombs that killed Jenna and Mayson was Sean McCarthy not Sean Mallory.

gerry

#11328 03/16/04 02:26 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wonderful tribute Wendy..nicely done.

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
#11329 03/16/04 02:34 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well done, Wendy. This was a wonderful tribute that brought a very appropriate tear to my eye.

I'm sure that wherever Yael is now, she'd also love this story.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#11330 03/16/04 03:10 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well I didn't know her Wendy but I know you. I am sitting here with tears running down my face, not just because your story was beautiful and sad, but because your dedication to this young woman who lost her life too early was so sweet and thoughtful of you. It made me feel for both of you. In this story, I can feel your sadness as well as feel sadness for the loss of such a young and beautiful life. You are a wonderful person Wendy and I am sorry for your loss. God bless her soul. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#11331 03/16/04 10:00 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
It is hard to know quite what to say about this story. I hope my comments will be as eloquent as the story itself, but somehow I doubt it.

In its own right, this is a lovely piece of writing, Wendy. It is heartfelt, gut-wrenching, bittersweet... Perfect. I really felt for Dan here -- heck, you made me like the guy! wink

But that is only one level upon which the story can be read. When you add into the mix the real-life death of a member of this community it simply makes the story that much more poignant.

To be honest, I only knew Yael as a name on a mailing list, but that, on its own, is enough to shock me to the core. How much worse, then, for those who knew her better and loved her.

Thank you sharing your tribute with us, Wendy. Thank you for making us think.

RIP Yael.

Chris

#11332 03/17/04 12:02 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Nicely done. A fine tribute to a young life so tragically and senslessly cut short.

Tank (who is constantly amazed by a mindset that feels their cause is advanced by the killing of innocent people)

#11333 03/17/04 02:15 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've found it extremely difficult to say anything at all about Yael's death, because it hit me so incredibly hard. I don't understand why the death of someone I hardly knew should leave me so distraught. Perhaps it's the criminal waste, or the fact that she was killed by a terrorist?

Anyway, I didn't know her well, but what I did know was her bright, intelligent enthusiasm. She took part in the role-play fic I ran a few years ago, and played the part of Dan Scardino to perfection. Many of us from that fic remember her poignant contributions from a grieving Dan, as well as many lighter and more humorous moments. Wendy has captured her style from that roleplay extremely well, and I am so glad that she's written this story in memory of someone who will be sorely missed.

Yvonne

#11334 03/17/04 02:20 AM
Kerth
Kerth
whinging whinging

So wonderful tribute!! mecry

Jose mecry

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#11335 03/17/04 03:46 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A lovely tribute, Wendy. I'm sure Yael would have enjoyed your honest look at Dan's POV:

The truth is, nothing is fine. I walk around the streets of this idiotic city and can think of nothing. Not even about her. Everything seems useless, everybody is indifferent. Where can I go? I can’t get myself to visit her apartment but I don’t want to leave just yet. Who knows, maybe she’ll show up. I keep telling myself it’s impossible, but until a week ago I also considered cloning people as impossible. I went to the hospital, and they told me only family is allowed. They wouldn’t even let me see her body. And why? It doesn’t make sense. Nothing makes sense these days. Not the Cafes we won’t visit, not the movies we won’t watch.

Everybody talked about how much she was like you. I’ve got news for you ­she was *nothing* like you. She was naive, and caring, and funny, and sensitive and I could go on like this forever, but it doesn’t help now! It doesn’t matter anymore. She looked like you. That was all your resemblance. Apparently, it was enough to get her killed.

Why do people we love have to die, Lois? Why can’t we all live forever and be happy? Is it too much to ask for? Whom should I ask?

I think I’ll get a plane out of here tomorrow. And then again, maybe I’ll just get out of my mind.
That was Yael's most poignant contribution to the ficlist's RPG a few years ago.

I can't stop thinking about her these last few days, and it seems to me that somehow, knowing a terrorist victim long-distance, so to speak, is even worse than the murder of someone I knew well.

Thanks for writing this, Wendy.

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
#11336 03/17/04 05:42 AM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Beautiful, Wendy. This was a fitting tribute and so appropriate. Even though I didn't know her, I think she would have loved it.

Thank you for sharing this lovely tribute to her with all of us.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#11337 03/17/04 05:48 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
That was so beautiful, Wendy. Like I told you yesterday, I can't find the right words to comment on a story like the one you wrote.

It's already heartwrenching as it is; Dan has often been mocked by us all as the annoying guy who hit on Lois and tried to take her away from Clark, and we rarely stop to consider what drove him. A small mention of his partner Jenna was made on the show, but I've got to say it had escaped my mind until I read your story. And it makes so much sense. I can't possibly quote passages. I can't bring myself to take sentences out of their context, as it's the whole thing that makes it so very meaningful.

And in light of Yael's tragic fate, it brought tears to my eyes, and it took me a moment to recover after I read it.

Thank you for sharing your very moving tribute with us, Wendy. I'm sure that Yael would have loved it.

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#11338 03/17/04 08:28 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wendy

This is a wonderful tribute to Yael. It's beautifully written. So sad and poignant! mecry
It's so easy to forget how precious every moment we have is.

Thanks for sharing this. It brought tears to my eyes. frown

Tricia

#11339 03/20/04 01:29 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thank you to everyone who posted comments on the story, and especially to those who thought it was a fitting tribute to Yael. Thanks especially to Hazel for posting Yael's most poignant contribution to OUATIM, Dan Scardino mourning the loss of the woman he loved. That particular post was very much in my mind when I wrote this story, as was your post about Yael herself on this thread , Hazel, from which I drew the inspiration for the passage about letting time slip away.

Over the days since we heard about Yael's murder, I've heard several people comment that they found the news hard to deal with - that they were more upset than they'd expected to be. When an RL friend dies, there are things we can do: attend the funeral, send flowers, send condolences to the family, talk about her with friends and swap reminiscences and so on. In this case, little of that applies. And so it was out of mingled feelings of acute sadness at the loss of a lovely young woman who I didn't know anything like as well as I would have liked to, and frustration at feeling that there was nothing I could do to express that sadness, which led me to write the story. I'm touched that people thought it was an appropriate tribute.

Wendy

PS: I forgot to say yesterday: thank you to Gerry for pointing out that it was Sean McCarthy, not Mallory. My fault for relying on the script!

Just a fly-by! *waves*

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard