Sorry this took so long, but I think the rewrites better cover your concerns about this story. I wanted to cover as much as I could. So without further ado, Enjoy!

++++

Robin stared up at the ceiling as he lay in his bed. Dinner with his other new grandparents had been great. Well, once Ellen had gotten over her shock it had been great. They'd talked endlessly, the same way he'd done with Martha and Jonathan. Robin liked Sam almost instantly. It had taken a while for Ellen to relax completely, but when she had, things had been so much more fun.

But when Clark had rushed from the house again, with an excuse that he had forgotten a meeting with a source, Ellen had said several bad words about Clark that Robin hadn't liked. He'd thought she didn't like his father at all, but she'd apologized when Sam glared at her, which made him feel much better. They had all started to chat again, then Clark had come back. He'd said that the source didn't show up. Dinner continued once more.

Sam and Ellen had promised to call soon, and they had invited everyone over to their place for dinner the following week. Lois had asked about *their* place. Apparently Sam and Ellen had been divorced long ago. They'd told Lois that they had recently decided to start dating again, which made Lois happy. Of course, that made Robin happy, too. He liked Lois a lot and if she was happy, then so was he.

The little boy frowned when he thought about Clark though. Clark had run off right in the middle of tucking him tonight. He'd even left Lois to drive home alone. Robin hadn't liked that one bit. Maybe he'd have a talk with his father. He just didn't understand why any man would want to treat Lois that way!

Two weeks. Two long, wonderful weeks, Clark thought, as he made his way down the sidewalk toward Lois' apartment. His son had been with them for two weeks. Robin had started school, absolutely loving his class, which made Clark glad they'd decided on the private institution. Lois had taken Robin shopping for supplies and they both had taken him to buy new clothes. Toys filled a box beside the door in Clark's apartment, a picture of Robin graced both his and Lois' desk at work, and preparations were being made for a December wedding. Lois and Clark had discussed things and offered his folks her old apartment once the older couple moved to Metropolis. The Kents agreed and arrangements had been made for the lease to be transferred to the new tenants. Martha and Jonathan had left three days earlier to go back to Kansas to sell the farm and make the final moving arrangements. It was only after his parents had left that Clark noticed the change in Robin's behavior.

The boy grew quiet, withdrawn. He often went to his room immediately after coming home from school and only came out for dinner and to take his bath in the evenings. He didn't talk much during their morning routine and said very little on the way to school. Clark had spoken to Robin's teacher and was assured that the child was very outgoing, and had made lots of friends already. Clark just couldn't understand it.

The boy's birthday was only days away, yet the little fellow was not in the least bit excited. Clark had asked several times what kind of gift was appropriate for an eight year old, only to receive a bored shrug. 'It doesn't matter', was the answer Clark got each time. Even Lois hadn't gotten a positive response.

And thank God for Lois. She was absolutely wonderful with Robin. She'd confessed to Clark on more than one occasion that having Robin with them had completely changed her perspective about family. She often gushed about *her* son, sharing pictures and advice with the staff at the Planet. Lois had officially joined the 'mother's group' and was enjoying every minute of it. Clark was thrilled to see the transformation from the person who'd responded so negatively to the initial news that he might have fathered a child. There had been several apologies about her reaction, but they'd finally decided that all the guilt and blame had to be put aside to concentrate on raising their son. Now Clark just wished he knew what was wrong with Robin.

Even Lois had gotten the cold shoulder lately. Sure, Robin seemed to respond to her more than he did anyone else, but there was still an underlying hostility there Clark couldn't quite put his finger on. He'd asked, and Robin had assured him, that there were no problems with his new home. Robin had told him that he liked both Lois and Clark very much, along with his home, school, and his new grandparents. So what was the problem? Could the little guy be having some kind of difficulties dealing with his feelings? Was there resentment over Clark not being there after all? Or did Robin simply miss his mother? Clark wasn't entirely sure, but he would definitely miss his mother after two years. Heck, he'd miss his mother after two decades. Maybe it was time to seek advice on this subject. More than anything, Clark wanted to make sure Robin was happy. And right now, the little fellow was anything but.

Lois opened the door, greeted him with a kiss, then immediately apologized for not being ready early enough to drop Robin off at school.

"It's okay, honey," Clark assured her as he plopped heavily onto a kitchen chair.

Lois stopped on the way to her bedroom. "Okay. Let's have it."

"Have what?"

"Clark, I know you a little better than that. Something's bothering you." She took a seat next to him and waited for him to answer.

He sighed heavily before looking up at her. "Lois, there's something wrong with Robin."

"You mean his quiet, reserved behavior lately?"

Clark's brows rose in surprise. "You've noticed?"

"Of course I have. It started the morning after the first dinner with my parents."

"What?!" Clark had only noticed the last few days.

"Of course, it's gotten worse since your folks went home."

"Help me out here. I thought it *started* when my folks went home."

"Come on, Clark. Haven't you noticed how the enthusiasm seemed to have faded from his behavior? He stopped apologizing for everything and his affection with us has been more guarded."

Clark grew silent as he thought about the last couple of weeks. Lois was right. Robin had seemed a little more withdrawn even then. "What do you think is wrong?"

"I'm not sure. Maybe he's missing his mom. I also think that maybe he's worried about what will happen once you and I are married. We did start talking about wedding plans then." And they had. They'd called to book a hall for the reception. They'd also visited the chapel where the ceremony would be held.

"We should reassure him that he's the most important thing in our lives."

"Tonight. Let's take him to do something fun. I hear kids really like Chuck-E-Cheese," Lois offered hopefully.

"Sounds like a plan." Clark smiled at her before hurrying her to get ready for work. Leave it to Lois. She always knew what to do.

Robin was thrilled to spend the night with Lois and Clark, eating pizza and playing games. And his dad didn't run away even once! He'd tried hard to figure out just why that happened, but couldn't come up with anything. His dad was always leaving him and Lois stranded for the most outrageous things. He'd even left them that day they'd been looking at the wedding chapel! How could he do that?

Only more questions surfaced as Clark's disappearing acts continued over the next couple of weeks. There had been a huge birthday party at the Planet for Robin. A conference room was decorated in a baseball theme and there was a cake large enough for fifty people. Presents were heaped high enough that surprised little eyes couldn't see over the top. Yes, he'd thoroughly enjoyed his party. Lois and Clark both had told him how happy they were for him to be with them, but before they could make it to the jeep to go home, Clark had run off.

And it continued to happen, causing Robin to grow more despondent about his future with his father. Plans were made to spend Thanksgiving in Kansas with the Kents, but at the last second Clark begged off because of some work he remembered. Robin and Lois flew out without him. He joined them later in the evening, although the damage had been done. Robin was completely upset. Maybe it hadn't been such a good idea to live with his dad after all.

But Lois was the best. She was always there for him. She never left him when they were together. Suddenly Robin realized that not only was he hurt that his dad constantly ran out on him, he was angry because Clark ran out on Lois. Didn't he know she was the most wonderful woman alive and shouldn't be treated like that? Heck, even the Lanes had made the time to fly out to Kansas to spend Thanksgiving with their new family. And where was Clark?! He'd run out right in the middle of dinner! This time there'd been no excuse at all.

The child sat up in bed as he thought about everything again. Why didn't Clark's disappearances bother Lois? She never got upset. One time she seemed to be, but then she'd sighed and asked if there was anyone who wanted a Happy Meal. Of course, that was a kid's favorite meal, so Robin had shrugged off his father's disappearance and headed off to McDonald's with Lois.

Then there was Martha and Jonathan. They never got upset at all. They always smiled and said Clark would be back as soon as he could. Ellen wasn't as understanding. She asked over and over what was up with Clark. Sam didn't seem to care either way. What could it all mean?

Two days later, and after a rather enjoyable trip to the Kent farm, even with Clark's behavior, the small family was back at home. Robin was still at a loss for what to do. He wanted to understand everything, but what should he do? She he ask them about Clark's strange behavior? He'd been with them long enough to know they wouldn't send him away. Both Lois and Clark were always assuring him this was his home. So why didn't it feel like much of one? And of course, he'd never behaved in a way that would make them change their minds either. He was just so confused!

"Robin?" Clark shook the boy's shoulder with a bit of impatience. He'd heard an emergency call for Superman on the evening news. It would be impossible for him not to go. As much as he hated to have to drag Robin from his sleep, it was unavoidable. "Robin, son, wake up!" Using a bit more force in his tone to arouse the child, Clark winced at the terrified expression he received.

"What? Are they here to get me?" Robin's eyes searched frantically for the social workers that would take him away.

Clark stopped, immediately understanding his son's question. "No one is here to get you, son." His strong hands gently lifted Robin and cradled him against his chest. "I have to go take care of an emergency involved with my job. I need to take you over to Lois'. That's all." Clark lifted the backpack he'd already packed with some of Robin's clothes and his school books. He hated doing this with no more of an explanation, but right now he didn't have a choice. Superman was needed and there was no time to explain.

That's all?! He was ripping him from his bed in the middle of the night and all he could say was 'that's all'! Now Robin was more confused then ever. He'd convinced himself earlier that asking about Clark's strange disappearing acts might be the best thing to do. He'd planned to do so first thing tomorrow. Now this.

Clark ushered Robin out to a waiting cab and gave Lois' address. During the short drive, the boy grew angry. When they stopped in front of Lois' apartment, Robin snatched away from Clark when he tried to lift him into his arms again.

"I don't need you to carry me. I'm not a baby!" Robin stomped past Clark in his bare feet and into the building.

With a frustrated sigh, Clark paid the cab fare, gathered Robin's bag, and hurried after the boy.

Lois opened the door to a very upset child.

"Let me guess. You're okay with this?!" Robin didn't wait for an answer. He stomped past her and into the bedroom and slammed the door.

"Robin!" Clark called to him.

"Let him go, Clark. He doesn't understand."

"I know. And I just don't have time to explain right now."

"I know you don't. We'll take care of it as soon as you get back. Be careful." She gave him a gentle kiss, then pushed him into the hall. Seconds later she heard the sonic boom that signaled his take off. She relocked all the locks before facing in the direction of the bedroom. With a heavy sigh, she started into the other room.

Robin was already in bed when she got there. He'd pulled the covers up around his head and was turned away from her side.

"Can we talk?" Lois asked hopefully.

"NO!" he almost yelled.

"Robin..."

"No," he repeated in a softer tone.

"Okay. But I'm here when you feel you need to." He didn't respond, just buried himself deeper in the covers. Lois reluctantly removed her robe and climbed into bed. It was excrusiating to know her son was hurting and there was nothing she could do to relieve his pain. She couldn't help until he allowed her to. Until then, she'd let him know how much she cared and make sure he knew she was there for him. She rolled to her side, sighed again, then closed her eyes.

It would be much later before Robin would fall asleep. He could only lay in the dark, imagining some of the worse things about his father and Lois.

Robin awoke the following morning to find Lois glued to the television in the living room watching coverage of Superman helping with an earthquake in another country. She barely noticed when he flopped down at the table to eat his breakfast. Nothing was said until it was time to go.

"Come on, sweetie. We're going to be late." Lois had gathered up her things and was waiting for Robin by the door.

He didn't utter a sound as he angrily snatched up his pack and headed out the door.

"Robin..."

"I still don't want to talk," he yelled back at Lois. He'd already made it the elevator and Lois just made it in before the doors slid closed. She cast him a questioning glance, but remained silent on the ride down. The tension only grew thicker during the ride to Robin's school.

"Okay. I'll see you this afternoon," Lois said in a cheery tone, hoping to break through the unbearable ice that had built up between them. He'd never acted this way before, especially with her. Yet, she could hardly blame him. There was so much that he didn't understand. She and Clark had really erred by not telling Robin about Superman before now. At least if he knew, he might understand everything that had happened lately. She was forced to wait on Clark's return though.

"Whatever," he shot back as he headed into the building. He was angry. Very angry! No one would tell him anything and he just didn't understand. Lois acted as if nothing was wrong with Clark leaving all the time. Maybe staying here had been a bad idea.

Lois got more of the silent treatment that afternoon. Robin did his homework and played video games until time for dinner. He ate in silence and never even looked at Lois. When he'd gotten ready for bed, he found Lois pacing the living room floor. She'd stop every now and then to look out the window into the darkness, then she'd cast a weary glance at the news coverage on television. She looked upset and that automatically snapped Robin from his anger... at least with her.

"Lois?" he asked softly as he stepped into the room.

"Yeah?" She turned to face him, worry clearly written on her face.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she said as she approached him. "I'm just worried about Clark."

"Where is he?"

"On an assignment. He shouldn't be much longer though." She kneeled down in front of him so she could look into his eyes. "I know you don't understand..."

"I don't. All those excuses. And he's never been gone this long."

"I know." Lois rubbed his arms lightly. "When he gets back, we'll all have a long talk. Okay?"

He studied her for a brief moment. Was it okay? Clark had left him in the middle of the night. He'd been so afraid and still was. For some reason, Robin couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to everything than Lois or Clark was letting on. Normal fathers didn't do things like this. And to make matters worse, now he was confused about how he felt towards Lois. He'd been angry at her this time. But seeing her upset reminded him how much he'd come to care about her. She was a great person and Clark shouldn't treat her the way he did. Great! Now he was angry all over again at Clark!

He nodded before turning dejectedly toward the bedroom. She wasn't going to tell him anymore tonight. He should just go to bed before he said something to hurt her feelings. He might be upset with her, but he didn't want to hurt her any more than she appeared to be now.

Robin climbed into bed, still trying to make sense out of everything. Had he done something that was so bad they wouldn't tell him? Were they making plans to send him away? And if so, why did Lois spend so much time making sure he was happy? He was just so confused. Why wouldn't his father just talk to him? He was starting to miss those nice hugs, but with everything that had been happening, he hadn't felt up to being very affectionate. Even the hugs he shared with Lois didn't feel the same. And there had been none today.

<<I really miss you, Mom.>> Robin rolled over on Lois' bed, a tear escaping his eye. Why couldn't everything just be the way it had been those first two days? He'd been so happy.

Soft voices pulled him from his sleep. Rubbing his eyes, Robin sat to determine who was with Lois in the other room. An immediate thrill came over him when he realized the other voice belonged to Clark. He tossed the covers back and hurried to the door. Before he made it though, he remembered that he was angry with his father. He stopped and peered into the living room. Shock and confusion overcame him when he saw the couple in the other room. Lois wasn't talking to Clark at all. She was talking to... to Superman!

"Was it bad?" she asked the caped hero.

"Yeah." His features clearly showed his exhaustion. He looked over at Lois briefly, then stepped toward her. She immediately understood his request and gathered him into her arms. "Oh, Lois... so many died," Clark said into her shoulder.

Superman had been to Japan to help when an earthquake completely destroyed a small village near the coast. The devastation was unreal and he'd gotten there after most of the damage had been done. Though he'd saved a great many lives when the aftershocks came, the large part of the day and half was spent pulling the dead from the rubble. Lois had been worried about the emotional impact on her gentle hero. And rightly so. The strong man trembled in her arms as she held him tightly.

From his position at the kitchen counter, to where he'd crept in curiosity, Robin gasped.

The couple turned toward him, both surprised to see Robin there.

"Why?" Robin asked Lois. "I thought you loved my dad." But just a few minutes ago, he'd thought this was his dad;
he sounded just like him. His eyes flashed to the superhero and he stared intently for a long moment. Impossible! It was impossible! Superman could not be... Could he? "Clark?"

Clark looked to Lois for help. "It's time," she told him.

He nodded and took a few steps to kneel in front of Robin. "Yeah, kiddo, it's me."

The boy's eyes shot wide as he continued to stare at Superman. "Why? Why did you lie to me?" he managed after a long moment.

"Robin, this is a huge secret. I wasn't sure you could handle it."

"Don't you trust me?"

"With my life, son, but I wanted to protect you. Me being Superman is... well, it's not exactly the easiest thing in the world."

"Why do you keep it secret?"

"So I can live my life as Clark. That's who I am. Superman is just something I can do. It's something I have to do. I was blessed with all these gifts and helping others is as much a part of me as being your dad is."

"But you haven't been around much lately," Robin told him, resentment filling his words.

"I know," Clark admitted. "And I'm so sorry about that. I guess in my... *need* to hide this from you, I've only made the situation worse."

"You hurt my feelings," Robin said as his bottom lip started to tremble. "I thought you didn't want to be with me. And I thought everybody else was crazy. They smiled when you ran off."

"I'm so sorry, Robin," Clark told him again.

"I'm mad at you!" he blurted out.

"I understand."

"I thought you were hurting Lois and I didn't like that. Lois is the best and you treated her like she wasn't."

Clark dropped his head, unable to keep looking his son in the eyes.

"Sweetie, why didn't you say something?" Lois asked as she moved to kneel beside Clark.

"Because I was scared I'd be sent back to foster care." His eyes filled with tears as he stared at Lois and Clark.

"Robin, you listen to me," Clark started. "We would never send you anywhere. You're our son; this is your home."

"Even if I'm still angry?"

"You can be angry with me for as long as you need to be. I know finding out this secret is a really big thing."

"And, Robin," Lois put in. "This doesn't change how your dad feels about you. He still wants you and always will. And please don't let him being Superman change how you feel about him. Sure, it's huge, but he's just Clark. You'll realize that very quickly."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Clark asked her with a grin.

"It just means that fate blessed the right soul to be Superman," she told him, then focused on Robin again. "And I'm sorry for not telling you. Clark and I talked about it, although we never reached a decision when to tell you. I felt we should do it together."

Robin could only stare at them. He'd imagined some of the worst things on Earth. Not this! This was... it was... WOW! His father was Superman! How did he deal with that? He blinked several times, then glanced back into the kitchen. "Could I have a drink of water?"

"Sure." Clark hopped up and fetched a glass of cool water. Robin took it and drank in silence.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome." Clark took the glass from the small hands stretched out to him.

Robin looked up at him for a long moment before he thought of something else. "Could I ask you questions about Superman?"

"You can ask as many questions as you want," Clark said with a smile.

"'Kay." He turned toward the bedroom. "Just not tonight. I want to go back to bed."

Clark and Lois continued to look into the darkened room long after Robin had gone back to bed.

"It was time, Clark," Lois assured him.

"I know." He reached out to pull her into his embrace, placed a kiss on her lips, then stepped back. "I should go. It's late."

"If you're sure you're okay," Lois said as they walked toward the living room window.

"I'll be fine. My son sobered me a great deal to what's most important in my life."

Lois reached out to smooth her hand across his chest. "He'll be all right, but all this does bring up an interesting point. This emergency called you out in the middle of the night. Poor Robin must have been so confused by being dragged from his bed."

"No wonder he's so angry with me." Clark thrust his hand through his hair in frustration. "I was thinking of cutting back a bit on my Superman duties."

"That's a start," Lois told him as she pushed her arms around his neck. "I was thinking that maybe I... could move in with you two a little sooner."

"What? Honey, the wedding's only three weeks away."

"I know, but I really think it would help to reassure Robin that we're serious about having him with us and *that's* what's best for him."

"Yeah. You're right." Clark's eyes flashed toward the bedroom before focusing on Lois again. "By the way, thank you for being here the last few days. I don't know what I'd have done without you."

"Clark, Robin's my son, too. Where else would I be?"

Clark smiled and accepted the kiss she was offering. Reluctantly he drew away from her. "Goodnight, honey."

"Goodnight." She closed the window after he'd gone and turned to go to bed. To her surprise Robin was standing in the kitchen. "Hi."

"I'm glad," he told her.

"Excuse me?" Lois asked as she turned out the lights on her way toward the bedroom.

"I'm glad I'm your son." He'd listened to the conversation between Lois and Clark and it had felt good to hear her say that. He hadn't been in the room and she didn't have to say it, but she had. That had to mean that she *really* did want him after all. At least one of the adults did, he thought bitterly. He was still incredibly uspet with Clark. And he didn't fully understand why.

She smiled and heaved him up into her arms, carrying him against her chest all the way to bed. She loved her little man more than life itself, something she realized was absolutely insane to have ever been scared of.

Robin was confused by what he'd learned about Clark. Would this change everything? Or make them better? At least now he'd know why Clark ran off all the time. He'd be able to track him on television, know where he was most of the time. He'd also be able to talk more with Lois about everything. If she was glad he was her son, wouldn't she be willing to talk with him about everything that bothered him? Again, he thought how much he missed his mom. She always seemed to know what to do to make him feel better when he was down. And he was definitely down now. But it sure did feel nice to have Lois hugging him again.

Clark sat at the table when Robin made it to the kitchen the following morning. The boy climbed into a chair and lifted his juice to take a sip.

"I'm glad it's Saturday. I thought maybe we could talk," Clark started after a moment.

From the other side of the kitchen where she was cleaning up some of the dishes, Lois listened but remained silent.

Robin didn't say anything, choosing instead to eat for a moment.

"Robin, I know I handled things badly. I'm so sorry. I should have told you long before now."

"I got into a fight at school yesterday."

Robin's confession came out of nowhere. Both Lois and Clark raised questioning brows and were immediately focused on the child.

"We, ah, we didn't get a call," Lois finally managed as she made her way over to the table.

"My teacher said she wouldn't call this time because I've never been in trouble. She said I should really think about telling you though." Robin studied the table for a moment before he went on. "I wasn't going to."

"Do you mind telling us why you were fighting?" Clark asked.

"'Cause a boy said something I didn't like."

"What did he say?" Lois wanted to know.

"He said he didn't know why you were marrying Clark because his mom said you liked Superman better."

"Oh, Robin..."

"Now I feel like a big dummy because you *do* like Superman!" He glared at Lois, unable and unwilling to hold his feelings in any longer.

"Robin, you can't tell others that," Clark cautioned.

"I know! I know what a secret is. I know how to keep 'em. But you didn't trust me and you lied to me! It was bad enough that my mom never told me about you, but you told me you wouldn't lie to me. 'Member?" He stressed the last word so that Clark could not possibly misunderstand this situation.

"Yes. I do remember." Clark reached out to take Robin's hand, but the boy pulled away from him.

"Don't touch me! Don't ever touch me again!" He crossed his arms over his chest, signaling the end of the discussion.

"I don't know how things were done at your house when your mom was alive, but around here there will be rules." Lois took both Clark and Robin by surprise when she spoke, her tone projecting frustration. "Clark is your father, young man, whether you like it or not. And I don't think speaking to him in that tone is appropriate for a boy your age. Just as you feel you deserve Clark's respect, he also deserves yours. I would like for you to apologize immediately!"

Robin stared at her with mouth agape for a long moment before he jumped from his chair. "You can't tell me what to do! You're not my mother!"

Instead of allowing his angry words to hurt her feelings, she allowed his outburst to further her frustration. "No, I'm not. But I will be one of your caretakers and you *will* show respect to adults, including those who've hurt your feelings!"

Finally pushed to lash out, Robin slapped his juice glass across the table, splattering both Lois and Clark with the orange colored beverage. "I hate both of you!" he shouted before he stormed into the bedroom and slammed the door.

Clark, who was paralyzed with fear, grew even more confused when he turned to see Lois laughing softly. "Lois?"

"Welcome home, son!" she yelled at the closed door in front of her. She calmly started cleaning up the mess their son had made, wearing a brilliant smile.

He could only stare at the woman, who'd obviously lost her mind, as he sat trying to figure out how to repair his son's bruised feelings. There was something he just wasn't getting here, Clark thought as Lois continued to clean the kitchen with a cheery attitude. Robin was angry, incredibly angry. The little guy would probably want to go live with the Sanders now. So, why was Lois acting as if nothing was wrong?

Behind the bedroom door, a little boy stared out the window with huge tears running down his cheeks. Lois had actually raised her voice to him. It had surprised him, but at the same time he felt... relieved. She hadn't automatically insisted that he would have to leave because of his bad behavior. And when he said that ugly remark and slammed her door, she'd welcomed him home.

Home... Was he really and truly home? Would they still keep him after all this? It was clear Clark was sorry for hiding his super secret from him. It was also clear that he was worried about how to make everything okay again. He'd tried to. He was the one who had wanted to talk. He'd apologized and meant it.

Robin glanced back at the door, using his sleeve to wipe away his tears. He was so confused. How did he feel about his dad being Superman? He wasn't sure and wouldn't be until he knew more. In his anger, he hadn't asked Clark all those questions on his mind. Would they answer them now? After how he'd behaved?

He took a deep breath. Only one way to find out.

Before Clark could ask Lois why she wasn't more upset, the bedroom door opened. He and Lois both watched as Robin silently entered the room. The boy stood next to the table for several minutes, as if unsure what to do next, before he reached for the kitchen towel on the counter and began to help Lois clean up the mess he'd made.

They worked in silence until the floor, table, and dishes sparkled again. Robin silently took his seat again and without raising his eyes, he spoke so softly, Clark almost had use his super hearing to understand him.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said." And he didn't. He liked Lois and his father. He'd decided while he was helping clean the kitchen that it didn't matter if Clark was Superman. It didn't matter that Lois corrected him. Didn't that mean she cared for him? That's what Billy had told him once. If adults really care about you, they try to make you mind. They *want* you to behave. It made you a better adult, or so Billy said. Maybe he'd ask. He finally lifted his tear filled eyes to Lois. "I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

"I know you didn't." She reached across to rub his arm. "But, Robin, I'm glad to see you let out a little of that frustration you have to be feeling. It's healthier than being so quiet all the time."

"Huh?" He didn't understand that one. Did she just say she was glad he'd been angry?!

"Sometimes it helps when we get angry and shout. But I'd much rather you shout things you *do* mean instead of things you don't."

He studied her for a moment before he spoke again. "You mean, it's good to be mad?"

"At times. It helps us deal with our feelings, those we don't understand."

"So, if I wanted to shout really loud that I miss my mom, that's okay?"

"That's more than okay. First, though, I think there's someone else you need to apologize to." She cut her eyes toward Clark who sat with a silly grin on his face. Sometime during their little chat, he'd finally realized why Lois hadn't been upset before.

Robin had been testing them, even if he hadn't realized it. He'd wanted to know, for sure, if they'd still want him if he misbehaved. And Lois... when had she become so adept at being a mother?

"I'm sorry, Clark. I do want you to touch me." He stopped a moment, then took Lois' words to heart. He inhaled sharply before raising his voice. "I want you to touch me a lot. And I'm angry because you've been gone all the time and haven't done that." Another breath and his voice gained strength. "I miss our morning talks on the way to school and the ones right before bed. I want to know what you do all day and I want to tell you what I do! And I want to know you weren't really hurting Lois, 'cause she's the best and I like her lots! I'm angry 'cause you didn't tell me, but I think it's cool that you're Superman!" Right before he spoke the last word, he paused and whispered 'Superman' before adding. "See! I can 'member a secret!" he finished on a whisper.

Clark eased from his seat to kneel before Robin, his hands holding the boy's small waist. "I'm sorry, son. No more secrets. And us Kent men have to take care of Lois because she's one of a kind." He winked at the boy, eliciting a small smile.

"Clark, did you love my mom?"

"Well, I loved her as a friend. A very good friend. She meant a lot to me." He wasn't sure how they'd switched gears so quickly, but he'd answer any questions Robin might have.

"Did she know about Superman?"

"No. At the time I hadn't become Superman yet. I didn't find the courage to do that until I moved to Metropolis and met Lois. She helped me make that decision."

Robin glanced at Lois before focusing on Clark again. "Will I be super one day?"

"Maybe. I just don't know, but I'll always be here for you. I'll help you every step of the way and so will Lois."

"Could we... go flying?"

A smile spread across Clark's face. He could almost see the excitement dancing behind Robin's eyes. For all his confusion, his curiosity was starting to win out. "I'll take you flying. I just can't do it all the time."

"I know. Could you answer those questions now?"

"I'll answer them all."

Robin nodded as Clark began to withdraw to retake his seat. "Clark?"

"Yes?" He stopped, bent over to look into his son's eyes.

"Maybe you could give me a hug first." His huge soulful eyes filled with tears again.

Clark reached down and pulled Robin from the chair, clutching the boy to his chest. He closed his eyes and simply drank in Robin's scent. He'd never tire of this. Having his son in his arms was one the best sensations on Earth. Even better than flying.

They drew apart some time later, shared a soft laugh, then pulled Lois up to complete their circle. It was a little while later before they settled together on the sofa to answer the many questions Robin bombarded them with. There was a few super displays, more apologies, and even some rules were put down. The trio spent the afternoon laying the ground work for their new family.

With a normalcy resumed within the Kent-Lane family, Lois began to make arrangements to move in with Clark and Robin, which made the boy very happy. He looked forward to having Lois with him all the time. He also came to grips with his super father, totally astonishing the adults with how well he dealt with the situation. Martha and Jonathan completed their move to Metropolis, further adding to the boy's joy. All that along with the realization that he could finally relax and enjoy his home without fear of being sent away, Robin started to blossom. He just didn't have time to worry anymore. Besides, there was too much to look forward to: Lois was moving in, the wedding was coming up, and so was Christmas! That meant Santa would be visiting! Of course, he'd already received the best gift of all: his new family.