Next Thread
Print Thread
#10947 02/29/04 08:56 AM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
This story is a general idea I had and decided to L&Cize it. It is purposefully non-BRed.
Comments and criticism of any kind are very welcome.
Also, if you have any better ideas for the title, I’d love to hear them.

Creative Writing
By Anna Botsakou <abotsakou@in.gr>
Rated PG
Submitted March 2004

--Describe an event from your life that taught you an important moral lesson.
Your composition must be 300-350 words long.--

There are too many events that have an impact on one’s life, sometimes changing it completely. In my case, it is something I do not even quite remember, but, obliged to live with its consequences, influenced my life more than anything else.
My mother died in a car accident when I was six years old. I vaguely remember her. I do remember, though, my father’s pain, frustration and regret. His wife’s death had torn his heart. He insistently blamed himself for her death. Everyone told him that it was not his fault that the truck driver had ignored the red light. Everyone reminded him that her death had been almost instant and there was no way he could have done something to save her. But he could not realize it.
Finally, his mother managed to lead him away from these memories. She reminded him that, even if his other half was not there anymore, he still had three children to take care of and to live for. So, he concentrated on my brothers and me. At first all he wanted was to keep himself busy. But soon he was again the strong man he had always been.
The wound in his heart healed, but left a big scar. He never managed to completely move on, to get married again or at least, stop thinking about her. He did manage, though, to live with her through the times they had spent together. He learned not to have bitter feelings for her loss, or be desperate and lock himself inside his memories, but remember her and use his memories of her as his sources of strength, whenever he felt disappointed or unhappy.
Growing up, I understood what helped him through that difficult time, and this is gratefulness. Gratefulness for the beautiful moments they had spent together. So, I learned how to be grateful to life for everything I experience. For life is the best teacher, as far as you can turn your past to a lesson of life, your present to an opportunity, and your future to hope.

Christine L. Kent.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#10948 03/06/04 04:12 PM
Blogger
Blogger
I really liked your story, especially the saying, as far as the past can turn life into a lesson, that is really and truly a remarkable saying. and I would like to add to that, I haven't had anything bad happen to me in my life (no deaths, nothing) but friend's of my family have past away, and just hearing the eulogy makes one think, that life is just to generous to give up..and we take that for granted. That life isn't only a given..it's a gift, a gift that must be preserved & cherished until our time on earth is up. Well, I don't wanna go on, 'coz I don't like talking about these things..It's so sad to hear about your mom. mecry

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard