Well, for some reason, I stayed up till 7am this morning to finish this. Had a long weekend, and did't really get started until last night. Then I just sort of got caught up in writing. Hopefully it makes sense. Hopefully it'll be worth it, despite my aparantly declining readership.

Thanks again to Kaylle for continuing to BR on short notice. smile

Part 5

Lois's POV

I looked back at the email, wondering about its author. Whoever it was had tipped me off to the smuggling operation, and now this hospital. Both were Intergang operations. This message also mentioned that "some people" had been upset by my investigation. Presumably, that referred to Intergang's higher-ups. Thinking about that raised quite a few questions. Just who was my "admirer"? Where he was getting his information? How he was connected to Intergang? Why was he sending it to me?

Jimmy hadn't been able to trace the message, but maybe I could get some answers another way. I'd considered responding to the previous message, but decided against it. It just hadn't seemed important enough at the time. For all I knew, it could have been a one-time thing. Now, though, I definitely wanted more information. I hit the "reply" button and started writing.

Dear "Santa,"

Thank you for your information. As you know, your first tip landed me with a front page scoop. I'm always grateful for a good tip, but it doesn't get much better than that!

As for your second tip, I was already aware of the medical facility you mentioned, but I appreciate you telling me. It's always good to have confirmation.

While we're on the subject of information, why don't you tell me a little more about yourself? I've never been one for the mysterious type. Part of the reason that I'm an investigative reporter is that I like to know about people - who they are, what they do, why they do it.

If you're nervous, don't worry. I know when to keep things to myself. I've gone to jail to jail to protect my sources more than once.

Looking forward to hearing more from you,

Lois Lane

When I was done typing, I looked it over carefully. It seemed good. It had an encouraging tone, but it made no promises. Hopefully, my "admirer" would choose to open up a little more in his reply. I had just hit "send" when Jimmy came by, probably on his way out for the day. When he asked what I was up to, I showed him the message.

"Hmm. Can I have a look at it?"

I didn't see why not. Maybe he'd find something this time. I stood up and waved him towards the keyboard. He read through the jumbled mess at the top, just as he had with the previous message. After a minute, he turned back to me.

"Do you still have the last one? I want to check something."

"Yeah, let me pull it up." Since Jimmy was still in my chair and since I didn't want him reading through all my mail, I leaned over and used the mouse to open the message. He checked back and forth, then grabbed a piece of scrap paper and a pen. He copied some things from both messages, then stood up.

"I think I may be able to get something, Lois. It'll take a while, but I've got an idea..."

"Whatever you can find, Jimmy. Thanks."

He smiled and started to leave, but then something occurred to me. "Jimmy, wait a sec!"

"Yeah?"

"I got an address for this hospital, the one the gangs use... I'm going to check it out tonight. I don't need a cameraman, but I could use some back-up, just in case."

"You're asking me?"

"If you're up for it."

"You bet!"

"Great. Thanks, Jimmy."

He shot me an excited grin, then, remembering the paper in his hand, dashed off.

I smiled at his enthusiasm, but only for a moment. These weren't particularly cheerful times, and I still had work to do. For one thing, I needed to get ready for my little visit to the hospital. I considered staking it out, trying to see if I could find any patterns in the comings and goings, but decided against it. It could take days, and that was time I didn't have. No, a more direct approach would be better. Maybe I'd be able to find something if I went in undercover.

If I was going to do that, though, I wanted someone to know where I'd be, just in case. So, I went over to Perry's office. Even though most of the staff had left for the day, I was not surprised to see that he was still working hard. Briefly, I brought him up to date on my investigations and my plans for the evening. He wanted to talk more, but I wasn't in the mood. I was tired and I had a fair amount ahead of me. I also missed Clark, not to mention my obvious worry. All in all, I was feeling less than social.

So, I threw off Perry's questions and went back to my desk. There, I picked up the phone and called Officer Sawyer. I was starting to feel like I should have her number on speed dial. Maybe when Clark was safe and the city was back to normal (it was going to happen; there simply wasn't any other option), we could take her out to lunch or something. It would be good to talk to her in better times, and in person.

"Sawyer here," said the now-familiar tired voice.

"Hi, it's Lois."

"Hi Lois. You calling with questions or answers?"

"Questions, I'm afraid."

"Ah, well. It was worth a try. What do you need?"

"I was wondering if you could tell me about any of those gang members who were acting more agressive. Have you brought any of them in, alive or otherwise?"

"No, they've always managed to escape arrest. I think a couple have died, but, if so, the bodies disappeared off the streets. The one time we did get a body in, it vanished from the morgue."

"So someone really doesn't want anyone to get their hands on these people. I think I know who, too, but I can't be sure just yet..."

"Hey, a theory is better than nothing."

I considered telling her about the hospital, but figured that it was probably better to wait. What I had so far was vague, and besides, involving the police now could make for some tricky legal situations. "Well, I've found a couple of leads pointing to Intergang. I'll be looking into one of them tonight. I'll let you know if I find anything."

"Good luck, then. Anything else?"

"Not that I can think of. I'll call you if something comes up."

"Okay, I'll do the same."

We said our goodbyes, and I went to find Jimmy. He was working at his computer, though I couldn't tell what he was doing, exactly. With a little persistance, I managed to get his attention for a minute.

"I'm going to go home and change," I told him. "When do you think you can be ready?"

"Anytime, I guess, but if I could have another hour or so..."

"Sure, Jimmy. That should be fine. I'll meet you here or down in the lobby."

"Okay, sure," he replied somewhat absently. He'd already turned back to the monitor and was typing at full speed before I'd taken a single step away.

Back home, I found a message on my answering machine from Martha and Jonathan. I hurried to call them back.

"Hello?"

"Martha? It's Lois."

"Oh, thank goodness! Jonathan, it's Lois!"

"I got your call. Sorry I wasn't here to get it. I was still at work..."

"Oh, don't worry about that, Dear. How are you? Have you heard from Clark?"

"I'm fine, Martha, but no, I haven't heard from Clark. I think I know who has him, but I still don't know where. I'm looking, though. Checking every lead I can find."

"We're coming over. We're booked on a flight out of Wichita first thing tomorrow morning."

"What? But, it's not safe here... Haven't you seen the news?"

"Of course we have," Jonathan said, "but we can take care of ourselves. We're not going to stay at home when our boy is in trouble."

"Where will you stay?"

"In Clark's apartment," Martha answered, as if it were obvious. "We have the keys."

"No! You can't stay there! That's where they took him from! If they saw someone else was staying there..."

Martha gasped. "They were in his *apartment*?"

"Do you think they might... know?" Jonathan asked nervously.

"I don't know. They might. There's no way to be sure."

"But, if they know... they could be after you, too!"

"No one's come after me yet, Martha. If they do, I'll deal with it. Don't worry. I'm being careful."

"Well, what can we do?"

"Just... stay there. I know it's hard, but it's too risky coming here. Please. I'm doing my best, but if they got you, too..."

"But you're--"

"-- I know. I'm being hypocritical, and probably selfish, too, but Clark's been taken, and I miss him, only I can't stop to let myself miss him or be worried about him because if I do, I'll never be able to go out there and find him, and I have to go out there because the police are too busy because without him, the city is a mess and there are gangs and they have guns and who knows what else and yesterday the streets were clogged because everyone was panicked but today it's even worse because there's hardly anyone on the road and if anything happens, there'll be no one to see it and now I have to go to one of the worst parts of town to investigate this gang-infested hospital because something's going on there and whatever it is, it's being done by the people who have Clark and if there's any chance that it's connected I have to risk it because I need Clark, the city needs him, the whole world needs him, and I'm the only one who can do it and if you were here and I had to worry about them getting you or someone else getting you because the whole city is going crazy and anything could happen and --"

"-- We'll stay."

It took me a minute to register. I'd almost forgotten that there was someone on the other end. "What?"

"We'll stay," Martha repeated. "If that's really what's best, for Clark and for you, then we'll stay here."

"Thank you," I said, pulling myself back together. "It is best, trust me."

"We do."

The weight of that trust settled on top of the pile of my responsibilities, but I hardly felt the difference. I was starting to feel as overwhelmed as I'd been as Ultrawoman. I didn't know how Clark dealt with it all.

"Lois?"

"Yeah, I'm here. Sorry. Look, I should be going. I'll call you tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay. If there's anything we can do..."

"I'll let you know. Thanks."

"You'll find him, Dear. I know you will."

Her confidence gave me the strength I needed to get myself back on track. I didn't know how she had it in her. Maybe that was Clark's secret. Maybe he could deal with the responsibility of being Superman because his mother had taught him how. "Thank you," I said again, though the words felt inadequate. We said our goodbyes, and then I went to dig some long un-used clothes out of the bottom of my closet.

Clark's POV

When I woke up again, I was alone. The TV was still on, still tuned to LNN. I listened for a while, but there wasn't much to hear. The city was still in chaos, but I couldn't tell how much of that was exaggeration for the sake of ratings. There wasn't anything I could do about it, in any case. The police were still looking into Luthor's death, but there was nothing new there. People were still out looking for me, but nothing new there, either. Stocks were down and the temperature was due to rise, but I wasn't too interested.

I focused on myself. I was feeling better, but I did my best not to show it. I knew I still wasn't ready to test my bonds again, but I did try to see through the blindfold. Nothing. I tried my hearing instead. There was the TV. I focused past it. There was a faint hum and a wooshing sound, which I eventually realized were caused by a fan pushing air through some ducts. I breathed in through my nose. There was the scent of dust and recirculated air, but nothing more than that.

I sat back and tried to ease my cramped muscles as best I could. After a while, my nose caught a new scent. Perfume. I tried my hearing again. There, footsteps. Far away, I thought, but I couldn't be sure. They were coming closer, though. I knew that much.

I waited. Still the footsteps came closer. They'd been relatively far, then. There were three sets, I thought, though it was hard to tell with the echos. Closer still, and then they were outside the door. It opened. I turned my head towards the sound, as if I was groggy and had only just heard them. "Water," I said, my voice weak and rough. "Please." I was thirsty, although I wasn't in desperate need.

Mindy laughed delightedly, as if I'd preformed some trick for her amusement. "Is there any water down here?" she asked a moment later.

"What? You'd actually give it to him?"

"It'll be fun," she said in her usual vacuous tones. "Besides, I thought you wanted to keep him around to play."

"Oh, very well." I heard him go out the door, leaving me alone with Mindy and presumably a guard.

"Where am I?" I asked, figuring it couldn't hurt to try.

"Tied to a chair, silly."

Oh well. It didn't sound like she was going to be very forthcoming. Better to change tacks. "Who are you?" I knew the answer, of course, but there was no reason to let her know that.

"Awwww. You don't remember me? I'm the nurse."

She'd been Bill Church's nurse before their wedding, I remembered. I tried to think of what else I could say, but before I came up with anything, the door opened again.

"Oh, thank you!" she said, all perky. I heard the sound of a bottle opening, and then she walked over. "Here you go," she said as if talking to a child or a pet. "Have some water, Supey-doll."

I felt the bottle against my lips. I sipped at it. The water felt good, but I didn't want to drink too eagerly, to appear too strong. I also didn't want to risk drinking too much and getting into trouble later. She poured too fast, though, and some spilled down my chin. I ignored it.

"Awww. Supey-doll's all wet. Here, let me dry you off..."

I felt her hands patting at my chest. It was disconcerting, but I did my best not to flinch away. The sound of shuffling feet told me that the man was shifting uncomfortably.

After a moment, Mindy apparently realized that she wasn't going to get a reaction from me. The hands left. "You've had your water," she said. "Now it's time for your medicine."

Pain again. I moaned for a while, but then forced myself to fall back and lie still, as if I'd passed out. The pain went away, and I heard the door open. I followed the sound of their footsteps down the corridor, but I couldn't keep track of them for long. I gave up and let sleep take me again.

Lois's POV

When I got to the Planet, Jimmy was waiting for me in the lobby. "I got it!" he said as soon as I walked in.

"Got what?"

"Your admirer's information! See, the message itself was designed not to give away anything, and the account was secure, but he forgot about the phones! He used the same server both times, so I tracked down the access number. Then I went into the phone company's records and got the list of everyone who'd called that number in the last few days. It was pretty long, but there was only one number connected at the times from both emails. I have the address here. It belongs to a Bob Maxwell. I did some digging on him. He's 32. No close relatives that I could find. Worked as a delivery driver for Global Parcel Express up until he suddenly quit last week. Was hired yesterday by CostMart, as a 'special inventory manager,' whatever that means. That's all I could find."

"That's a heck of a lot more than I had a few hours ago, Jimmy. You're amazing! Thanks!"

"You bet, Lo--" He stopped, suddenly, his jaw dropping. "Whoa! That's some outfit!" Apparently, he'd been so wrapped up in his explanation that he'd only just noticed.

"Uh, thanks, Jimmy," I said somewhat uncomfortably. I'd decided to go undercover as "Angel," the persona I'd used the previous year during the investigation of Sean Mallory and the resurrection pills. That meant clothes which were tight and cheap. I didn't really like it, but on the upside, I figured they would fit in with the crowd at the hospital. Hopefully, they'd even help make sure I wouldn't be recognized. They weren't anything like what I'd wear normally, and, as Jimmy was demonstrating, they could be fairly distracting. Hey, it worked for Clark.

We made our way to the Jeep, and then I drove to the address Bobby had given me. I parked across the street. "Stay here," I told Jimmy. "Keep out of sight. If anything happens, or if I'm not back in half an hour, call this number." I handed him my cell phone and a slip of paper with the number of the 68th precinct. It was the closest, and at least some of the officers there knew me.

I got out of the Jeep and crossed the street. The building, like most of the ones in the area, looked like it had seen better days. More to the point, it looked like those better days had been years before I'd even been born. There was a sign over the door. "Our Lady of Mercy, First Church of Metropolis, Medical Clinic." I thought about that for a second. I knew the building was owned by CostMart, or at least one of its subsidiaries. If I was right about who was in charge, then Mindy Church, I decided, had an odd sense of humor.

Inside, it looked like a fairly ordinary charity clinic. At least the reception area did. I rushed up to the desk. "My brother! I have to find my brother!"

"Okay," the woman on the other side of the plexiglass window said in soothing tones. "Who's your brother?"

"Spike! Where is he? I gotta see him! Is he okay?"

"Spike? I see. Uhm, last name?"

"He's Spike! He's my brother! Where is he??"

"Calm down, miss. I just need some more information..."

Feigning impatience, I ran off, past the desk.

"Hey, you can't just --" the woman called after me, but I ignored her. "Oh, forget it," I heard her mutter. "Good luck, girl." As I'd hoped, this part of the hospital, at least, wasn't too secure. Having established myself as relatively harmless, I would be able to wander freely. Also, while I'd undoubtedly made an impression on the woman, I'd been quick enough that she quite likely wouldn't be able to describe me in more than general terms.

I moved from room to room. The larger ones had rows of beds, their occupants down with what looked to be relatively minor injuries. A few of them called out to me, but I ignored them, pretending to search for my "brother." I passed some smaller rooms -- examining rooms, individual rooms for the more seriously injured patients, a couple of offices -- but I didn't see anything particularly noteworthy. It all looked perfectly ordinary. I was beginning to wonder if my information had somehow been wrong when I heard a conversation that made me pause. It was coming from inside one of the single rooms. I leaned against the wall and listened in as best I could.

"You're recovering nicely, Rick. Soon enough, you'll be good as new. If you want, though, we can make you even better."

"Better?"

"Yes, like we did for your friend, Mike."

"What do I gotta do?"

"Come with me, and I'll show you."

I realized they were about to leave the room. Quickly, I ducked around the corner, then sat down on the floor, my back to the wall, my eyes closed. Just a girl waiting around in a little hospital that didn't have enough space for a visitor's lounge. They walked by without pausing. I waited until they were well past me before opening my eyes. Rick, a muscular-looking young man in a somewhat threadbare hospital gown, was being led down the hall by a man in a generic white coat. Cautiously, I stood up and followed them down the hall, staying far enough back so that they wouldn't realize I was trailing them. A few turns later, the doctor, if that's what he was, stopped in front of a door. He opened it with a key and led Rick inside. He closed the door behind them.

I approached it slowly. There was a sign that said, "Staff Only." There was a small window inset into the door. I looked inside. It appeared to be a medical supply closet. A locked storage room where they kept the medicines and other things that shouldn't be accessible to the general public. There was no sign of Rick or the man who'd been leading him. There was no one else in the hall. Deftly, I picked the lock, then slipped inside.

At first I didn't see anything unusual, but then, walking around, I spotted a second door on the other side of the room. It had been hidden from view by some shelves. A camera on the ceiling was aimed directly at it. It was solidly built, and it had an impressive-looking electronic lock. It did not have a window. Some words had been stenciled on it in blocky, vaguely military lettering. They said, "S. Rogers Memorial Wing. Authorized Personnel Only." A small sign below that read "Enter At Your Own Risk."

I didn't see any way to get through that door, and something told me that, even if I did, I'd only get myself into big trouble. I knew, too, that Jimmy was waiting for me outside, probably counting the minutes. I did have some time, though. I stopped to think if there was anything else I should do before I left.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.