Previously on AFR...

Clark's attention was drawn back to the front where Professor Daitch was trying to get back control of the crowd whose members were stepping all over each other throwing out questions about doom scenarios. The din was nearly unintelligible. Daitch had to shout to make himself heard. "Ladies and gentlemen, please! Control yourselves." The din began to subside. "I admit that in any operation there is always some risk. That is unavoidable. But believe me, we've done all the calculations, and worked this mission out to the best of our abilities. It will work."

Clark saw a grim smile crease Lois' face as a voice from the back shouted out. "How do you know?"

Daitch's look was equally grim. "Because it has to."

And Now....
A Future Reborn - (Lois' Story III) - part 8
by Tank

Lois opened the door to her apartment, stepping aside to let Clark follow her through. After closing the door she called out to Cat, checking to see if her roommate was home. There was no answer, so she led Clark into the kitchen.

"Would you like some coffee? It will only take a minute to make some."

Clark shook his head. "No, I shouldn't stay long. Jenny will be expecting me." He grimaced. "She wants to get the costume finished tonight." He'd used his fingers to make the quotes sign when he'd said 'costume'.

Lois had to grin. "Well, I look forward to seeing what you and she come up with."

Clark rolled his eyes. "She wanted to use a lot of red, white, and blue. Said it would give me a very patriotic look."

Lois had to bite her lip for a moment. Once she regained a straight face she looked up at him. "Makes sense. You can say you represent truth, justice... and the American Way." She had said that with a dramatic flourish, then had to turn away to keep from cracking up after seeing the look on his face. What was it that made Clark Kents so modest?

"I hope you're kidding."

She raised a brow but said nothing more on the subject. "So, I got the impression that you weren't too happy with our story. What did you think we should've written?" she asked.

Clark shrugged. "I guess we wrote it up the only way we could've." Lois' face took on a stormy countenance. He held up his hands. "Look, I never advocated sugar coating it. We laid it out as it was told to us, and used our own research to point out the possible problems with the plan."

"But?"

"I dunno, I just think it wouldn't have hurt to leave the public with a little more hopeful outlook. "

Lois shook her head. "I'm sorry, I can't be the cheerleader for a plan I have no faith in." Lois placed a hand on his arm. "Look, it's in your nature to want to put the best possible spin on things. It's one of the things that makes you so special." Clark blushed. "But, that does lead to the burning question... what are you going to do?"

Clark looked confused. "What do you mean?"

Lois sighed. "Clark, I know you are very unsure about this, but I know... I just feel it in my bones, that you are going to have to be the one to save us. I'm not just using my own experiences as a guide. This plan of the government is just too iffy to actually succeed." She gave his arm a squeeze. "It's going to be up to you."

Clark frowned. "Maybe, but let's give them a chance, shall we? No matter what your 'bones' tell you, or what happened in your world, there is a chance that this plan will work. However slight that chance is, there is a chance. I think we should give them that."

"Okay," Lois nodded. "I can understand that, and I agree. If there is no reason to put you at risk, then I'm all for it. Let's give the government their chance. If their plan works, all the better. If it fails, there should still be plenty of time for you to deal with the problem before they need to launch that second rocket."

Clark nodded. It was obvious that he wasn't too keen on the idea of flying out into space to deal with a giant asteroid, but she knew he'd do what had to be done. She wasn't sure if he was just overwhelmed by the sheer enormity of the task, or if he was actually afraid. It was probably a combination of both, not that she would blame him if he did have some fear. It would only be natural. Still, he was a Clark Kent, and even if he didn't know it yet, he was Superman. He wouldn't be able to not do what had to be done. It was who he was.

So, it wasn't too much to ask to give the military boys their shot at saving the world first. After all, the first shot didn't posses the collateral fallout danger that a second, much closer attempt would. She actually hoped that the Asgard rocket would succeed... but she knew it wouldn't.

"So, I guess I'll see you tomorrow at the Planet?" Clark moved toward the door.

"Sure." Another grin found its way onto her face. "Make sure you bring a snapshot of you in that new costume." She laughed when he rolled his eyes and shook his head. Muttering, Clark quickly made his exit as Lois watched.

She couldn't hold back a sigh as the past intruded on her conscious mind. He was so much like her own Clark, yet different. Now that he'd abandoned that ridiculous blonde hair, his physical appearance was a constant tug at her memories. The fact that he didn't wear glasses just seemed to make it worse. He wasn't a reminder of the public Clark Kent that she had first met and that everyone else knew. No, his image was more like that of the private Clark that only she, and his parents got to see.

It was good that she'd had a lot of work-related activity to keep her mind focused, because it was moments like right now, where there was a short pause in the action, that her mind immediately flashed back to a life that she'd lost so many years before. A life that she would never know again.

Cat had made comments, saying that if her Clark had been able to find happiness with another Lois, why couldn't she find a similar relationship with another Clark. Lois knew that Cat was just kidding her. It was her nature to be outrageous like that. At least, Lois assumed she was kidding.

The situations were very different. Her Clark thought she was dead. She knew he was alive and well. While it was true that he was no more accessible to her than he'd thought she was to him, it still made a difference. There might be a time when she could move on. Find some sort of romance with another person, but not with this Clark. It just didn't feel right.

There was no denying that she felt a connection to the young man. She couldn't help but like him... he was Clark Kent. But he was different, too. It wasn't just the age difference. His life experiences had molded a somewhat more guarded person. Not that he wasn't personable and friendly, he was. She knew that he still wanted to expect the best in people, but unlike her Clark's tendency, this man didn't automatically assume it. She figured that losing his parents and their continued support as he moved into adulthood probably had something to do with it.

She wandered back into the kitchen and began to mechanically go through the process of making a pot of coffee. She was barely aware of her movements as her mind continued to chew on matters of the heart.

She could tell that Clark was attracted to her on some level. They'd become good friends fairly quickly. Yet there was still Jenny. She wasn't sure of the depth of their relationship, but she'd have to say that the two of them thought they were in love. The petty side of her had to think that, whatever the two of them shared, it could never approach the wonder of what she and Clark had back home.

Even if Jenny weren't in the picture, she doubted if she could ever see her and this Clark as more than friends. It just wasn't in her to make that leap. On one level she was surprised that she wasn't angry with, or at least, jealous of Clark for being able to find happiness with another Lois Lane. But she wasn't. Clark, for all that he was the strongest man on the planet, was still much more emotionally fragile than she was. As devastated as she would be if she ever found out that he had died, eventually she would be able to get on with some sort of life. She was a survivor. Clark would need help. He would need to find a reason to continue. The other Lois was also in need. It was natural that, at some point, their mutual pain would draw them together. It wasn't so much that the woman was a Lois Lane as it was two compatible people who needed each other.

She was realistic, and did hope that one day she could meet someone who could blunt the pain and loneliness that existed in her heart, but the Clark Kent of this world wasn't going to be the one to do it. And she was under no illusion that, if such a person came into her life, whatever they shared could ever approach the oneness that she felt when she had been with her husband.

There had been no tears this time, but she knew she'd have to derail this chain of thought or they'd be coming soon. She took a deep breath and poured herself a cup of coffee. It was time to get back to the matters at hand. She had a computer file to read.

Lois wandered into her bedroom looking to get back to reading that file on Lex this world's Lois had compiled on the laptop. It had been fairly late when she got home last night so she'd set the machine aside, promising herself that she'd attack the file tonight. She hadn't gotten very far in her reading the other night before she had to leave, but she had nothing pressing till the launch tomorrow, so she should be able to give the little computer her undivided attention.

She wasn't sure how much information would be on that little computer. After all, the woman had died shortly after arriving in the Congo. So it was possible, even likely, that Lois hadn't made any of the contacts that she'd been sent there to make. Which meant she probably never knew where whatever it was that Lex sent her down there to fetch was. She only hoped that there might be a clue as what it was that Lex was accusing her of holding out on him.

All she'd been able to glean so far was that Lois was 'working' Lex in an effort to prove that his benevolent philanthropist facade was just that. A phony public face that hid his true activities as the biggest crime boss in Metropolis. She'd managed to gain Luthor's confidence by playing the role of girlfriend. It would be interesting reading to see how much her acting had gained her in information, and more importantly, if it was something that Lois could still use at this late date. It would be a definite plus if she knew what it was that Lex had been threatening her about.

She glanced at the dresser where she had set the small laptop the night before and frowned when she noticed it wasn't there. A quick but thorough search of the room produced no compact computer.

Suddenly a random memory from the other night flashed through her mind. In talking to Cat before she left she'd mentioned that the password that Lois had chosen was Perry. She'd mentioned it to make a point about the departed reporter, but hadn't thought at the time that she'd just given Cat access to the file also. Knowing the woman's curiosity, she had to have succumbed to the temptation and read the file. Nodding to herself, Lois made her way to Cat's room.

After a few minutes of rummaging through the other bedroom, a perplexed Lois came out into the living room. Had she taken it somewhere else to read? More minutes were spent searching the rest of the apartment. Finally, a defeated Lois had to admit that the little machine wasn't there. Where was it? She glanced at the clock on the wall. For that matter, where was Cat?

It was later than she'd thought, and Cat normally would have been home by now. Of course, that assumed that she didn't have a date or some lewd last minute assignation. Lois had been around the woman enough to know that spur of the moment decisions were her stock and trade, and on more than one occasion Cat had simply not come home. Lois shrugged. She could even be out on a story.

Still that didn't answer the question of where her laptop was.

Going to the phone, Lois dialed Cat's desk at the Planet. As expected, she got her voice mail. Lois left a message for Cat to call her if she came in. Her frown deepened as she hung up the phone. Lois hadn't expected the woman to be there, nor did she really think that Cat would have taken the laptop to work. That assumed that she had looked at the computer file at all.

Lois picked her cup back up and took a sip of her coffee but quickly set it back down, a grimace on her face. It was cold. Too bad she didn't have heat vision like Clark to warm it back up again. Frowning again, she plopped down onto the couch. Where was that darn computer?

Lex Luthor was standing out on his balcony gazing up into the sky, as if he could see the doom that approached the planet. He heard the private elevator door open and turned to see his aide, Nigel St. John, enter the main room. The man was carrying a outdated laptop computer. Lex entered the room.

"Ah, I see you've retrieved the computer in question."

"Yes sir. It took our people a bit of time to crack the password protected file, but they were successful and now the file is available for you to read."

Lex nodded. "I assume you have already read this file."

"Of course."

Lex reached his desk and sat down. "Anything I should be made immediately aware of?"

"There was an interesting development." Nigel's tone never strayed from the cultured monotone he always affected. You'd never know by listening to him what emotions he might be experiencing. That was, assuming he even had any emotions. His unflappable demeanor was one the things that Lex appreciated in his assistant. "There is a mention in the file of the old warehouse on Siegel Ave, and earlier today our surveillance team assigned to Ms. Grant followed her there."

"Did she see anything?"

Nigel shook his head. "No, we are currently between ventures, so there was nothing for her to see. But it was interesting that she was there at all."

Lex nodded. "Obviously the woman has been reading the file. I wouldn't have thought Lois would share this information with the woman. She seems too unstable to have confided in, or taken on as a partner. Still, she does know something." Lex leaned back in his chair. "I think it would be best if we brought her in for a talk."

Nigel inclined his head. "I anticipated your desire to do so and had the woman picked up as she left the Daily Planet this afternoon."

"Excellent."

Lex rose and walked over toward a large glass trophy case. In it were many one of a kind displays; a sword supposedly carried by Alexander the Great, a large piece of ivory purportedly taken from the tusk of one of Hannibal's elephants, and an ancient gold breast plate once worn by Julius Caesar. There were art treasures there also. A miniature Tiffany lamp sat on a shelf next to an uncatalogued Fabrege egg of unmatched beauty. But amongst all these wonders he was unaccountably drawn to one of his newest acquisitions. It was a cluster of some sort of crystals. One of his LexOil geologists had found it while on a survey out west somewhere. It seemed to glow with an inner pale green light that was both beautiful and repulsive at the same time. It wasn't any form of jade, for he'd had it tested. No, its value came from its mystery. His scientists had told him that it wasn't any known substance, and that its origin was probably extraterrestrial. That knowledge had pleased him. So much so in fact, that he'd had a small piece of the crystal chipped off and carefully cut and set in a beautiful platinum ring.

He turned back to St. John, who was still standing dutifully in front of his desk. "So, Nigel, what do you think of all this doom prophecy of the coming asteroid, and our government's plan to deal with it?"

Nigel shrugged. "Not my area of expertise, sir."

Lex nodded slowly. "No, I suppose not, but you must have an opinion as to whether that rocket will be able to do the job."

"Either it will, or it won't. I imagine we will deal with either eventuality as it comes."

Lex smiled at the unperturbable servant. "Yes, exactly. Have the supplies been moved into the bunker yet?"

Nigel nodded. "The last of them will be in place by this evening, sir."

"Good." Lex wandered back over to the large glass door leading to the balcony. He looked out over the city for a few moments. "I know our people tell us that the government's plan has only a small chance of success, but I do hope they are successful. I'd miss this city."

Luthor stared through the glass for a few more moments before turning back to his desk and seating himself in his large leather chair. "I have to compliment you on the bugging of Lois' apartment. I just heard the tapes from earlier this evening. An interesting, if perplexing, conversation Lois had with her partner. There seems to be more to this Kent fellow than meets the eye. I don't know if it has anything to do with my disagreement with Lois, but the two of them are definitely up to something." Luthor reached over and opened his ornate, antique cigar box. After a moment's hesitation, he put the havana back and closed the lid. "Be prepared. We might have to ask Ms. Lane and her partner to come in and explain themselves."

Nigel nodded. "As you wish, sir." St. John stood there for a few more moments. "Will that be all?"

Lex steepled his hands in front of him as possibilities continued to run through his mind. After several moments he looked back up at his aide. "Yes, that will be all for now. Thank you, Nigel."

With another nod the stately British import moved silently over to the private elevator and left Luthor to his musings.

Lois stormed off the elevator when the doors opened to the newsroom floor. The look of determination on her face was momentarily broken by a huge yawn. She had been up half the night trying to find the missing laptop. Then she'd spent the rest of the time lying in bed getting more upset that it was gone. The only thought that she could come up with was that Cat had it, but Cat had never come home last night.

Fully intending to confront her this morning, Lois marched over to her roommate's desk. Cat wasn't there. Lois frowned as she glanced over the woman's desktop. There was nothing there that gave a clue as to where she might be. Lois, not worrying about propriety, began to pull open the drawers of the desk.

"Looking for something, Lois?"

Lois nearly jumped out of her skin. She turned, fixing Perry with a scowl. "Don't sneak up on me! I could've had a heart attack."

Perry snorted. "Not likely." Perry peered over her shoulder as Lois returned to her task. "Since this is not your desk, may I ask what the devil you think you're doing?"

Lois blushed, as she turned back to Perry. "Ah... Cat borrowed something of mine, and I need it back. She didn't come home last night." Lois sat on the edge of the desk. "Do you know where she might be? Was she working on a story?"

Perry shrugged. "I hope she was working on a story. But, no, I have no idea where she might be... and I like it that way." Perry glanced over to the area where Lois and Clark's desk sat. "Speaking of missing reporters. Where's Kent?"

Lois was about to shrug and reply that she had no idea when the elevator bell indicated the arrival of the conveyance. They both looked up as the doors parted and Clark stepped out.

"There," Lois said as she pointed toward the young man.

Perry rolled his eyes and began to head back toward his office. At the top of the ramp he turned. "I want you two to be ringside for the launch of that rocket this afternoon. Then I want your follow up story for the evening edition... Capeesh?"

Lois gave Perry a mock salute. "Got it, Chief."

Clark came down the ramp, one eyebrow raised, and a smile on his face. "I see Perry's already cracking the whip." He looked down at Cat's desk, which Lois was still sitting on. "New desk?"

Lois gave his arm a playful slap. "Don't be silly. You'd never be able to read over my shoulder all the way over here." She stood. "No, Cat just had something of mine that I needed back, but it wasn't here."

They moved over towards their desks. "So," he said. "Why don't you just ask her for it?"

"I haven't seen her."

"Where is she?"

Lois' face conveyed her concern. "I don't know. She didn't come home last night." She looked up at him as she sat in her chair while he perched on the edge of her desk. "I don't know whether I should be worried or not."

"Has she ever stayed out all night before?"

Lois rolled her eyes. "Cat? Lots of times. I don't know, this time it just feels different." Lois fretted for a couple more moments, then shook her head. "Oh, well, I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing. She'll most likely come dragging in here about noon, with one heck of a story to tell."

Clark smiled. "I'm sure that's right."

Lois leaned back in her chair, a look of mischief on her face. "So, how did the fittings go last night." She grinned when she saw the blush creep across his cheeks.

"I told Jenny what you had told me - you know, about the cape and chest thingie. She liked the ideas, but I think she got a bit carried away."

"What do you mean?"

Clark looked around, making sure no one was paying any attention to them. He pulled a small photo out of his pocket. "She wants me to wear this!"

With a grin of anticipation Lois quickly snatched the snapshot out of his hand. She gave a low whistle, then laughed at the scandalized look on Clark's face. The photo showed Clark in a tight spandex body suit of royal blue. The boots were red as was the long flowing cape.

"What, no red shorts?" Lois asked, a grin still on her face.

Clark's brow furrowed in confusion. "Why would I need to wear a pair of shorts?"

Lois waved him off. "No reason. Inside joke." She continued her assessment of the 'suit'.

It looked very Supermannish, but there were definite differences. As she had commented on, there were no red shorts, and the color scheme was a bit different. A wide, white belt encircled Clark's waist and the Superman shield was red and white, rather than the red and yellow she was used to. Apparently this Clark had never had the symbol for the House of El embroidered on his baby blanket. Still, it provided a nostalgic tug on her heart to see the stylized 'S' again. There was one other addition.

"Why the red gloves?" she asked.

Clark shrugged. "Jenny said it would keep me from leaving fingerprints behind. I suppose, in case someone was trying to track me down, or find out who I really am."

Lois nodded. "Makes sense, I guess." She gave him the picture back. "Looks good to me. I think Jenny did a great job."

Clark looked crestfallen. "I knew you were going to say that." He looked around and lowered his voice. "Don't you think it's too... revealing?"

Lois had to grin again. "They don't call them tights for nothing." She laughed again, when he rolled his eyes. "Seriously, Clark, the sheer flashiness of it will keep people from paying too close attention to your face."

"That's another thing." Clark leaned closer. "How are people not going to recognize me? I don't like the idea of a mask. Makes it seem like I have something to hide."

"Which you do." She held up her hand to forestall his response. "But I know what you mean. The Clark in my world normally wore glasses. So, when he was Superman, he just took them off and severely slicked back his hair."

Clark frowned. "And that worked."

"Yeah." Lois shrugged. "It took me two years before I caught on and I was as close to him as anyone."

She caught a hint of something in Clark's eye. Something that said he was aware that there was more to her relationship with the Clark Kent/Superman of her world than she was letting on. She didn't want to get into any of that now, so she redirected the conversation.

"I think maybe the reverse will work in this situation."

"How do you mean?"

"Well, you know those ski goggles that look like a large pair of wrap around sun glasses, only they come in different shades, like yellow and blue, and red?"

"Yeah," he replied somewhat warily.

"I just thought that you could wear something like that when you are Superman. It would keep people from being able to see your eyes clearly."

Clark nodded. "I think I know what you mean." He ran his hand through his hair. "Still, even if I slick my hair back and wear some sort of goggles. That won't be enough to keep people from recognizing me... will it?"

Lois patted his hand. "You'd be surprised. People tend to see what they expect to see. They aren't going to make the connection between a powerful heroic being from another planet, and a farm raised mild- mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper. Don't worry I'll give you some tips." She got up from her chair and began to walk up the ramp.

"I don't know... wait, what do you mean, mild-mannered?" He followed her up the ramp. "Lois?"