Previously on AFR...

Lois shrugged. "Not everyone would be so accepting of a strange visitor from another pla... place."

Clark stared at his blushing partner. He was sure that Lois had been about to say something else. But what? There was no denying that he felt some sort of connection to this woman, this Lois Lane, but she was a total mystery to him. There was more there than met the eye, much more. And until he figured out what, he'd best keep his wits about him.

Lois swatted Clark on the arm, bringing him out of his musings. "Come on - stud. We need to run this Nightfall story past Perry."

And now...
A Future Reborn part 4
by Tank

It had taken nearly twenty minutes for Lois and Clark to fill Perry in on what Clark had overheard at the press conference the other day. Perry had frowned during most of Clark's narrative and then had questioned him about what he'd overheard versus what had been said in the original conference.

"We can't let them get away with this, Chief," Lois said. "The people have a right to know."

Perry leaned back in his chair and looked over his newest reporting duo. A partnership that seemed to be working better every day. "Do they?"

Clark frowned as Lois looked aghast. "What do you mean? Of course they do. This is a cover-up. We can't let them get away with it."

Perry held his hands up. "Now just hold on a second, Lois. From what Clark says, they have a pretty good reason to keep things quiet - for a while. A panicky populace is an ugly thing to see."

Lois snorted. "I'm so sick of that sort of reasoning. Give the people more credit than that." Lois shrugged. "I'm not saying that there won't be some fringe elements that will over-react, or try to take advantage of the situation, but that's the price of a free society. Surely you don't condone keeping the people in the dark as possible doom threatens everyone?"

"No," Perry said slowly. "No, I don't. But I also don't see any reason to go off half-cocked. Clark said that they intend to let the people know as soon as they are confident of their plans to deal with the crisis. That makes sense to me... as long as they don't wait too long."

Lois rolled her eyes. "Oh puleese, you don't really think they have any clue as to what to do? This is the government, for crying out loud."

Perry shook his head. "Even if I agreed with you. And I'm not saying that I don't. You have to see the big picture. What can I print? The two of you have no proof. You have no independent corroboration. Just Kent here claiming he overheard someone saying that the asteroid is going to strike the Earth." Perry shook his head again. "All they'd have to do is deny it, and it would be his word against theirs. Not a situation that the paper's lawyers would be too happy about."

"But this is big! This could be the end of the world, and you want to sit on it?" Lois was clearly exasperated.

Perry spread his hands. "Lois, what would you have me do?"

Lois sighed in frustration. Obviously she couldn't tell Perry about Clark. "I don't know." She moved closer to Perry's desk. "But I do know that people need to know. I'm not too keen on the government's idea for a solution to this problem. We need more options. And the only way to get those options is for more people to be in the know."

He leaned forward until his face was only inches from hers. "Then go out and get me some hard proof. Facts that will stand up to the glare of the spotlight."

Lois expelled a held breath. "Okay." She turned to go. "Come on, Clark."

"Ah, Lois." Perry's voice stopped the pair. "If I could have a word with you... alone."

Clark smiled. "I'll see you back at your desk. In the meantime I'll try to get in touch with other observatories to see if they'll verify our suspicions."

She gave his arm a squeeze, then he was out the door. At Perry's nod, Lois moved to close the door. She then walked over and sat in the chair in front of his desk.

"What did you want to talk to me about?"

Perry hesitated, almost as if embarrassed by what he was going to say. "How are you doing?"

Lois was confused by the question. "I'm fine."

Perry shook his head slowly. "No, I mean how are you doing? It's been a few months now, how are you adjusting? Are things going okay?"

Lois bit on her lip. She had a feeling there was a lot more to Perry's question than just a simple concern over how she was adjusting to her supposed return. "Really, I'm doing fine. I've got a nice place to live and I'm back at the job I love. I'm fine."

"Look, Lois. I know you better than you think. I can see that you've gotten back in the saddle and are more than proving the paper's faith in you as a reporter. You've done a great job with Kent, and... well, you seem to be getting on okay with your co-workers."

"But?"

"But, I can tell there is something missing. Something in your eyes betrays a sadness that wasn't there before. I'd like to think that... what I mean to say is... well, I just want you to know that I'm here for you, if you need me. Whatever it is, whenever it may be, I'm just a phone call away."

Lois favored him with a warm smile. "I appreciate that, Perry. I really do. But we've been over this ground before. I'm sorry I can't be who you want me to be. Things are different now. Different with me, and with you. I don't remember us the way that you do, and you're my boss now; it just wouldn't feel right."

"I could quit." Perry spoke softly.

Lois shook her head. "No, you couldn't. The Planet is more in your blood than it is in mine. I don't think any woman could truly replace this paper in your affections." Lois gave him a friendly grin. "Besides, I have the feeling that the intervening years have romanticized our relationship all out of proportion to the reality."

Perry leaned back in his chair and got a far away look in his eyes. "Don't underestimate what we shared back then, Lois. It had its turbulent moments but that just made the good times that much sweeter. I know you don't remember it, and that makes me sad. But trust me on this, from someone who was there, it was incredible."

Lois bite her lip. How could Perry still hold such feelings for that woman? A woman who, Cat claimed, only used Perry to give her career a boost. Could Cat have been wrong? Could that Lois really have had feelings for Perry? That didn't jibe with the other things that were attributed to this world's Lois Lane. Her dislike of men in general, her self-serving attitude, and her apparent lack of any real concern for others. These did not paint a picture of a woman that a kind and compassionate man like Perry White would have fallen for. Then there was Lex.

"So, what did Luthor want?" As if reading her mind, Perry's voice broke through her thoughts.

She wasn't sure how much to tell him. "He invited me over for brunch. Called it a celebration of my return from the dead."

Perry frowned as he studied her for several moments. Lois had to fight back the urge to squirm. "I know you're keeping something from me, but keep in mind that Luthor is not someone to cross. I warned you about that back then. Back when you got it in your head to investigate the man. We may both believe that Luthor is as dirty as they come, but he's also smart. Real smart. He hasn't slipped up in the ten years that you've been gone, so he's not likely to do so now." Perry ran his hand through the slightly graying hair. "Be very careful around that man. He's more dangerous than you think. I'm pretty sure he had something to do with your original disappearance, and I surely don't want that happening again."

Lois didn't speak. She sat, staring at the man who had just confirmed her suspicions about Lois and Luthor. Or had he? If Lois was a good enough actress to have convinced Perry that she had feelings for him that she didn't have, maybe she was good enough to lie to him about her dealings with Luthor too. It was beginning to make Lois' head swirl. Just what had been the woman's relationship with these two men? Would she ever really know? Did she want to know?

Lois slowly rose from the chair. "I'll be careful." She moved toward the door, pausing briefly as she opened it. turning to him one more time. "Thanks for caring."

Turning back to the doorway, Lois nearly ran into Gladys, Perry's secretary. The woman gave Lois a smile and stuck her head into the room. "Hey, boss, there's an Alice Johnson here to see you. Should I send her in?"

Perry looked up, then back down at his desk as he shuffled through the pile of papers strewn about. "Yeah, send her in."

Lois slipped out the door and watched with a wry smile on her face as she saw the attractive forty-something woman stride into the Chief's office. As she approached her desk a silent chuckle rumbled in the back of her throat. Clark was seated at his neighboring desk with Jenny hovering over him. She kept shoving pieces of paper at him as he tried to hide them away as fast as she placed one in front of him. Lois had a hard time hiding the grin from her face.

"What's up?" she asked innocently.

"Oh, Lois," Jenny exclaimed. "Look at these ideas I had for a costume for Clark. You know - that disguise you were talking about."

Lois gave a quick glance around, then placed her hand on the enthusiastic young woman's arm. "I think it's great that you are behind this and are so involved." She risked one last look about. "But I don't think this is the time or the place to bring it up. Let's all get together tonight and discuss this more fully."

Jenny frowned briefly, then shrugged. "You're right, I suppose. We'll do this tonight." She leaned down and gave Clark a quick, fierce kiss. "I've got to get back to work, lots to do. See ya later, lover." She spun on her heel and was off in a flash.

Lois raised a brow. "I don't think I ever had that much energy when I was her age."

Clark snorted. "Yeah, right." He stuffed the sketches into his bottom drawer. "She's really all worked up about this disguise thing." Clark shook his head. "A costume? I don't know, it just seems so silly. And what was that code name you used the other night? Superman? Come on, Lois, really."

Lois patted him on the wrist. "Tonight. Right now we have to work on this Nightfall thing from the other direction."

"Right, and I'll have you know that I *was* working before Jenny came by." He grinned at Lois' raised brow. "I was shut out by all the main science and research facilities. Got the company line, and a referral to contact EPRAD. But I did get in touch with our old friend Professor Hamilton."

"Really?"

Clark nodded. "Yep, and he's expecting us."

Lois stepped back as Clark got out of his chair. "Well, then, let's not keep the man waiting."

Allowing her to lead the way, Clark and Lois made their way up the ramp and to the elevator.

Clark gazed around the somewhat dilapidated lab that the somewhat disheveled Prof. Hamilton now called home. His involvement in the recent reanimated gangster problem had left his reputation a bit sullied. His standing in the scientific community, never too prestigious in the past, had taken quite a tumble. It seemed that not too many legitimate research facilities were interested in someone who had nearly brought back the Roaring Twenties. Still the man had managed to find a place, and some meager backing for his current research. Clark was almost afraid to ask what that might be.

Lois was busy bustling about the place, looking at everything, as they waited for the professor to acknowledge their presence. Hamilton finally looked up from the notes he was scribbling and was clearly startled to see them standing there.

"Oh!" The professor nearly knocked the glasses off his head. "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you come in." He stood and extended his hand. "Mr. Kent, nice to see you again." He turned toward Lois. "And Ms. Lane, so good to see you up and around. No permanent injury suffered, I hope."

Lois gave him a frosty smile. "No, I managed to survive this time."

"I see." Hamilton, sensing Lois' less than cordial manner, turned his attention back to Clark. "So, Mr. Kent, what did you need to see me about?"

Clark took a breath. He hoped that they weren't wasting their time. Hamilton's reduced status probably meant that he was out of the loop as far as the asteroid emergency went. But Clark hoped it didn't also indicate that he'd not have the means to find anything out.

"Well, Professor," Clark began. "I'm sure you've heard the news about the coming asteroid, Nightfall?"

Hamilton suddenly became animated. "Oh, yes, quite exciting. Haven't had an opportunity like this in decades. It's pretty rare when an asteroid of that size comes this close to the Earth. It will be pretty spectacular. I can't wait to start examining my readings."

Lois waved her hand in a gesture that encompassed the room. "So you have a way to track it... here?"

Hamilton nodded. His head bouncing up and down like a ball on a string. "I don't have access to any of the optical telescopes like the one at EPRAD, or Star Labs. But I was able to cobble together a radio telescope using my television satellite dish and some equipment I had left over from my old lab."

"So you have been tracking the asteroid's progress?" Clark was skeptical but hopeful.

"Yes, I've been recording signals since yesterday. I was just about to do my first analysis of the readings." He moved over to a bank of antiquated electronic gear. "Are you here about the asteroid?"

Clark nodded. "Yes, Professor. Ms. Lane and I are on that story."

Hamilton shrugged. "I'd think that Prof. Daitch over at EPRAD would be the one to talk to. He has access to much better equipment than I do."

"We've been there. EPRAD and the government aren't too forthcoming about this Nightfall rock." Lois' voice betrayed her irritation.

Hamilton frowned. "Really? I wonder why that is?" He gave each of them a smile. "Well, no matter. Let's see what I have here."

Clark watched the eccentric scientist as he bent over his data. He watched as the professor's excitement turned to puzzlement. The professor pulled several sheets of paper over to his debris-piled desk. Sweeping papers and other junk off the desk onto the floor, Hamilton pulled over a calculator and began to work his index finger furiously.

Clark got a sinking feeling in his stomach. "What is it, professor? What's wrong." He ignored the look that Lois gave him that said they both knew what was wrong.

"Oh dear, oh dear. This can't be right."

Lois moved over to the desk and, with her finger, tilted the professor's head up till he was looking at them. "Don't tell me, let me guess. The asteroid is going to hit Earth in about six days."

"More like five days." Hamilton had turned white. "This is bad, very very bad."

Lois turned to Clark. "But now we have some corroboration. We can use Hamilton's data to support our story. We can bust the government cover up and make them come clean. This is too important to keep from everyone."

Clark could see that Lois was excited about getting the proof that Perry had wanted but he was still torn. He wasn't sure it would be such a good idea to tell everyone that their world was doomed. What purpose would it serve? It would just send everyone into a panic.

"I'm still not so sure about this, Lois." Clark laid a hand on the woman's shoulder. "I think we should give the government some time. What good would be served by putting the people into a premature panic."

Lois' turned and stared at her younger partner. "The people have a right to know. If this was to be your final week on earth wouldn't you want to know?"

Clark shrugged. "I'm not sure."

"Excuse me?" Hamilton's weak voice interrupted the partners debate. "Are you planning to use my data to substantiate your breaking the news to the world of the impending strike?"

"Yes," Lois said, forcefully.

"Um, well, I think you should know that I'm not exactly considered an eminent scientist anymore." He blushed. "Actually, I think the term used most is... crackpot."

"It doesn't matter," Lois added, quickly. "We'll just take your data to another facility, like Star Labs, and get them to verify your findings."

Hamilton was running his hand through his thinning hair. "I'm not so sure if that would work. If this is being covered up at the highest level, then I'd think Star Labs would be in on the cover-up too." His look was apologetic. "And even if you could get someone to look over my data, it wouldn't do any good."

"What do you mean?" Lois' tone was sharp.

"Well, as you can see, my equipment is not exactly state of the art. It's mostly a series of jury-rigged stuff that was never meant to be used for such purposes. And because of that, the stuff is rather unique in the way it delivers the data."

Lois' eyes narrowed. "What does *that* mean?"

Hamilton couldn't look Lois in the eye. "It wouldn't make sense to anyone else. No one can read this data but me."

Lois closed her eyes and clenched her fists. Clark was afraid she was going to do bodily harm to the timid scientist. He reached over and laid a gentle hand on her arm.

"Come on, Lois, " he said, in his calmest voice. "Let's go."

Her eyes snapped open and glared at him for a moment. Then the fire died out. "We might as well," she said with a sigh. "There's nothing for us here." She marched toward the door.

"I'm sorry," Hamilton called after the retreating woman.

Clark gave the man a sad smile. "It's okay, Professor. Thanks for your help." He turned and hurried after his partner.

Lois was already in the street looking for a taxi. Clark frowned at the hunch in her shoulders. She was really worked up about this set back.

"Lois, take it easy." He had reached her side. "I don't know why you're so keen to blow open this story? I know you don't think the government has a good handle on this, but we have to have faith."

Lois whirled to face him. Sticking her finger in his chest, she spoke in a low tone, but with a sharp edge to it. It got his full attention.

"You just don't get it, do you?" Her finger jabs corresponded with her words. "I'm doing this for you."

"Me?"

"Yes, you. This nuclear missile plan of the government is futile. It won't work."

"How do you know that?"

"I... I just do, okay. I'm just trying to protect you. If we can't find some other way to move, or break up that asteroid, the planet will only have one chance... you."

Clark stepped back. She'd mentioned this the other night. They hadn't gone into it in much detail, but Lois seemed to think that he could fly out into cold, airless space and shatter the asteroid before it hit the earth. She'd been confident that he could do it, but at the same time he sensed that she feared it also.

"Look, Lois, you obviously know something here that I don't. And I'm tired of this guessing game when it comes to you. What do you know about this, and me?" He reached out and grabbed her by the shoulder. "And how do you know it?"

Lois shook off his hand. "What I know is - you have the capability to go out and smash that rock to bits. But I also know that it won't be without risk."

Clark shook his head. "Uh ah. I'm not letting you off this time. You are going to tell me how it is that you seem to know so much about me. And how all this seems to be more like a memory to you than a new experience." He could swear that he saw shock in her eyes. He had hit on some nerve.

Lois nodded once. "Okay, tonight. I'll tell you what I can tonight." She turned away. "Taxi!" A metro cab screeched to a halt beside the pair. They climbed in the back.

The trip back to the Daily Planet was made in silence. Neither wished to voice their thoughts in hearing range of another person. Mercifully, the ride back was a short one, and soon they were back out on the sidewalk in front of the paper.

Lois began to move toward the front entrance. Clark frowned and began to follow. "Look, Lois, I didn't mean to..."

Suddenly Clark heard a strange sound, like a door lock being slid back, as the hairs on the back of his neck tingled. Engaging his enhanced vision as he swiveled his head to look over his shoulder, he saw him. Up on the roof of the building across the street was a man. He was dressed in plain gray clothing, with a wide brimmed hat pulled low, obscuring most of his face. The man held a high powered rifle in his arms. The sound he'd heard had been the bolt action being pulled back. The gun was ready to fire. Following the direction of the rifle barrel, he was quickly able to see where the gunman was aiming.

"Lois! Look out!"

Clark threw himself headlong at his partner. Lois had begun to turn at the sound of his shout but was knocked off her feet by the force of his body crashing into hers. At the same time the crack of a gunshot echoed off the brick walls of the nearby buildings.

"Are you all right?" Clark helped her to a sitting position, but still kept his body between her and the assassin.

Lois looked up at him, confusion clearly marked her face. "Yeah, I don't think you broke anything with that football tackle." She tried to look around him. "What happened?"

Clark glanced over his shoulder. "Someone tried to take a shot at you."

"Apparently, someone did. They just missed, thanks to you."

Clark stood up and focused his attention on the building across the way. He began to move toward the street when a hand on his arm stopped him.

"Where are you going?"

He looked back at Lois. "I'm going to go after the guy who shot at you."

Lois shook her head. "What are you going to do? Fly up there?" She pulled him back to her. "No, by the time you get over there at normal speed, he'll be long gone."

"But..."

"This kind of thing comes with the territory. Let's just get back inside. For all that's happened today, we still don't have any story for tomorrow's edition."

Clark was confused by her attitude, but decided to follow her anyway. "Lois?" he asked. "Who would want to kill you?"

"Would you like the list chronologically, or alphabetically."