Previously on AFR...

Lex frowned. "Save the fairy tale for children and the naive." His voice, for the first time, betrayed more than a hint of anger. "You know why I asked you here. I would have thought that I'd have been one of your first contacts once you returned." Lex stood and paced on his side of the table. "Now, you feed me this cock and bull story about having amnesia and being cared for by some kindly nuns in a remote Congo mission."

Lois stood. She knew her only defense was to go on offense. "I don't care for your tone... *Mr. Luthor*, but I won't stay here another minute to be insulted by your accusations." She turned to stalk out of the room. She didn't turn around as she heard Luthor hurl more words after her.

"I don't know what you're playing at Ms. Lane, but be advised that Lex Luthor doesn't take kindly to being betrayed. We will settle accounts, believe it."

and now...
A Future Reborn - (Lois' Story III) part 2
by Tank

The elevator opened up onto the bullpen floor. Lois was out before the ding of its bell quit echoing. She nearly ran down the ramp to the newsroom floor and zeroed in on Cat's desk. Before she even had a chance to acknowledge Lois' presence, she was yanked out of her chair and dragged by a frantic Lois into the nearby conference room.

She propelled Cat toward a chair, then slammed the door closed behind her. She quickly drew the blinds before turning to her flummoxed roommate.

"Well, hello to you too, Lois." Cat quickly regained her composure. "Did you want to ask me something?"

Lois took a couple moments to catch her breath, then she dropped down into the chair next to Cat. She reached out and grabbed her arm. "What do you know about me, I mean, Lois, and Lex Luthor."

Cat leaned back in the chair and studied the flushed woman in front of her. "She went out with him a couple of times, but I never got the impression she was really interested in him... in that way." Cat frowned as she tried to retrieve the decade-old memories. "Lois always used to wonder about Lex. Said she thought he was too good to be true. But then she felt that way about anyone who appeared to do anything that wasn't for personal, or professional gain. She didn't trust philanthropists, and Luthor was the most visible one in all of Metropolis."

Lois turned her head and bit her lip. She turned back to Cat. "Is it possible that she might have been investigating him? Getting close to him to try and find some dirt she could unearth?"

Cat shrugged. "I dunno, it's possible, I guess. It was the way Lois tended to operate, but I don't remember her confiding in me about it." The cagey auburn-haired reporter gave Lois a long hard look. "Why are you asking?"

Lois stood and paced a bit. "I just came back from a brunch invitation from the mighty Mr. Luthor. He threatened me. He didn't believe the amnesia story and wanted something from me, but I have no idea what." When she turned back toward Cat, the look on her face was quite serious. "I have no idea what the short conversation was about, but there was no mistaking his tone, and I know he wasn't after anything legal."

Cat leaned forward, her face suddenly became more animated. "Ooooh, so you think that the, oh so perfect Mr. Lex Luthor, the fifth richest man in the world, has some dirty secrets?"

Lois snorted. "I'd bet on it."

"Say, didn't you tell me that the Lex Luthor on your world was a big time crook, or something?"

Lois sat back down. "Oh yeah," she said, nodding. "To call him just a crook would be a gross understatement. He was into nearly everything illicit, and unwholesome that went on in Metropolis. He was a classic megalomaniac. He lived to acquire and wield power."

"Sounds like you knew quite a lot about him," Cat said through a sly smile.

"Well, Clark and I were the ones who finally brought him to justice." Lois glanced off toward the other side of the room. "And I almost married the man." This was said a lot softer than her previous sentence.

Cat nearly slipped out of her chair. "You what?"

Lois waved off the obvious surprise her friend was exhibiting. "It's a long and sordid story. I'll tell you some other time. Right now I have to find out what he's after, and why he thinks I have whatever it is."

Cat placed her hand on Lois' arm. "Sounds like fun. Count me in."

Lois shook her head. "I don't think so. This is definitely something nasty. It will probably be very dangerous."

Cat patted her hand. "All the more reason for me to be involved. He'll be having you watched. I won't be on his radar, so I'll be much more free to move about and investigate things." Cat chuckled. "You may find this hard to believe, but I've actually never met the man."

Lois gave her a look of surprise. "Really? Now that's something I do find hard to believe."

Suddenly Lois was aware of someone lurking outside the conference room door. She got up and peeked around the window blinds to see Clark standing in front of the door. It was obvious that he wasn't sure whether he should interrupt the women or not. She could see that he was visibly upset.

"Oh, no," Lois groaned. "So it is true."

Cat looked up at her roommie. "What?"

Lois sighed as she reached for the door knob. "When it rains it pours."

Pulling the door open, Lois stepped back and waved Clark into the conference room. He gave Cat a questioning glance, then, almost shyly, moved over to a chair at the far side of the room. Cat shook her head, a grin on her face. She stood up.

"Well, Lois, I'll leave you two partners to whatever story you're currently working on." She gave Lois a wink. "It looks like Clark has something to tell you. He's practically ready to burst." She laughed at Clark's immediate look of bewilderment. "In the meantime, I'll think I'll initiate a few feelers of my own on *our* possible story."

Lois frowned at her roommate and her too-cavalier attitude. "Just be extra careful."

Cat gave her hair a flip as she glanced back over her shoulder at Lois. "Always."

Lois rolled her eyes and shook her own head as she closed the door behind Cat.

"What was that all about?" Clark asked.

Lois waved off his question as she came over to sit next to the young man. "Later. Now, I take it from your manner that you found out something interesting."

Clark took a deep breath. "Well, the press conference was pretty mundane. A Professor Daitch... how did you know that it was going to be Daitch at the press conference?" Lois shook her head, and indicated that he should continue. "Anyway, this Daitch gave everyone a rundown on the cause of the solar eclipse from this morning. Apparently, a large asteroid will be approaching earth over the next several days. We can expect more things like the eclipses, and some spectacular viewing in the evening as it gets closer. They claim that they will continue to monitor the progress of the asteroid, which they call Nightfall, but as of now they feel there is no reason for concern."

Lois' brow rose. "And..."

Clark ran his hand through his hair. Lois felt a small twitch in her heart at the sight of such a familiar gesture. "Well, I was curious, given the note you gave me before I left, so I followed Daitch after the general press was dismissed."

Lois nodded. "And did you get to talk to him?"

Clark shook his head. "No, but I did overhear him talking to two other gentlemen. A military general, and a fellow they addressed as Mr. Secretary."

A small smile stole over Lois' face. "And what did you hear?" She knew that he'd used his extra sensitive super hearing to eavesdrop. It was what she would have done. Curiously, she wondered if he gave in to the urge to 'peek' also.

"Plenty," Clark said, his voice giving away his apprehension. "Lois, this Daitch guy said that this Nightfall asteroid was going to strike earth! He said it would be a catastrophe. It could end life as we know it on this planet!" He reached over and grabbed her arm. "How did you know?"

Lois knew that Clark was watching her intently. She wasn't sure how she was going to answer him, but the fact that her initial guess had been correct was no comfort to her. This definitely upset her timetable. Clark was going to have to become Superman, and he was going to have to become him real soon.

The question Lois had to answer was... how much did she tell him about herself? Was it even necessary to bring in the whole multiple worlds stuff to convince him to do what was necessary? She had needed time. Time to find out why he wasn't Superman now, and if he had any desire to be a Superman. Time she no longer had.

"Lois?"

His voice jogged her out of her thoughts. "Hmm? What? Oh, what did you say?"

"I asked, how did you know?"

Lois got up and started to pace about. "I didn't. I just know that when these scientist types call a press conference it's usually to hype some obscure breakthrough that the general public couldn't hope to understand or even care about... or, it's to downplay something potentially disastrous that they don't have a clue how to deal with. I just needed you to find out which... just in case."

"Just in case?"

Lois stopped her pacing. "Look, we need to talk, but not here. I'll come over to your place tonight." Lois bit her lip. "Is Jenny back from Florida yet?"

Clark looked at Lois warily. "Yeah, she got home this morning."

Lois nodded, more to herself than to him. "Does she know about you?" The look on Clark's face told Lois all she needed to know. "Okay, never mind. I'm not surprised you haven't told her, but if you two are ever going to become a real couple you can't keep this from her. She deserves to know. Better now than later. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about."

Lois' rambling was halted by Clark standing and grabbing her by the arms. "Lois, what are you talking about?"

Lois reached up and patted him on the cheek. "I'm talking about your special abilities. I'm talking about your *super* powers. We're going to need them if we're going to get out of this asteroid problem alive." She moved toward the conference room door. "But we'll talk about that tonight. I'll be over at about eight." She gave him a grin. "I don't expect anything fancy for dinner. Simple, and filling, will do fine." Seeing the thunderstruck look on his face, Lois had to suppress a giggle as she left the room.

Lois found herself rushing around the apartment. She was looking through all the old books and things that Cat had kept of the Lois of this world from all those years ago. Maybe there was still something in there that would tip her off, or give her some clue as to what that Lois had going with Lex Luthor all those years ago. Was she investigating Luthor? Playing him to get 'the goods' on him, as they say. Was she in it for the big story, or was she Luthor's willing accomplice?

Just then Cat burst in. "You having any luck?" she asked.

Lois shot the woman a confused glance. "How do you know what I'm doing?"

Cat grinned. "Because it's the same thing I've been doing for the last several hours. I've been down in the Planet archives all afternoon poring through any old story files of Lois' from around that time period."

"Wouldn't most of the stories be on a computer, or a microfiche?"

Cat nodded. "The copies of the Planet, and any stories contained within would be, yeah. But many reporters got into a habit of putting all their notes and various bits and pieces of information into a regular paper file and would send it down to be archived even after the story had been printed. This would give them access to that information if they ever needed it, after the fact. In case a follow-up, or related story might be called for."

Lois nodded. "I can see that, we did a similar thing at my Daily Planet. But I know there was no story ever written. I looked."

Cat shook her head, causing her hair to swirl about her face. "True, but often reporters, if they had a strong hunch about a story, would send down their file even if they had come up dry and had nothing to print. That way, if something ever did break, they'd have their initial research and notes on hand to continue from."

A slow smile spread over Lois' face. "That's a great idea. So, Lois did this type of thing?"

"Yeah."

Lois spread her hands out. "And... did you find anything?"

Cat shrugged. "Ahhh... no."

Lois shook her fist at the infuriating woman. "Some day, Ms. Grant, you and I are going to have a conversation about this predilection you have for trying to drive me crazy."

Cat gave Lois a wicked smile. "Seems to have worked." She held up her hand before Lois could fire back a retort. "Wait, I did remember something that might prove helpful."

Lois instantly dropped her mock anger and grabbed Cat's arm. "Really? What?"

"I seem to recall that, just before she left for her ill-fated trip to the Congo, Lois had purchased a laptop computer. The reason I remember this was back then laptops were pretty new technology and it was frightfully expensive." Cat seemed to lose herself in the memory. "I asked her where she got the money for such an extravagance. She merely claimed to have come into a little money."

Lois frowned. "She didn't say where the money came from? An inheritance, or a... gift from a rich new friend?"

Cat shook her head. "No, she never said. I should have been more suspicious because she usually told me everything, but she was pretty tight lipped about this." A look came over Cat's face, as if something suddenly becoming clear. "You know, now that I think on it, from that day till she disappeared, things changed. Lois became more withdrawn. She didn't confide in me any more. Actually, the last few weeks, we barely spoke."

"You didn't find that odd?"

Cat laughed. "I probably should have. But, at the time I was pursuing my own agenda, and didn't have much time for Lois anyway." Cat winked. "I think his name was Brad... or was it Brenda."

Lois shook her head in mild disgust. "You're incorrigible. Do you know that?"

Cat grinned. "Oh, I hope so."

"Let me get this straight." Lois paced a bit. "You *think* that Lois had a new laptop computer some ten years ago. And we both think that maybe this could be where Lois kept her notes on the Congo story before she left. And, maybe, they might just indicate how Lex Luthor might fit into the equation."

"Sounds about right."

Lois turned to Cat, spreading her hands in supplication. "So, where is this mystery laptop now?"

Cat shrugged. "Haven't a clue."

Lois rolled her eyes. "Thanks for the helpful memory."

Cat patted Lois on the shoulder as she moved toward her bedroom. "You're welcome."

Lois sighed, as she realized that if she was going to get over to Clark's when she told him she'd be there, she'd better get herself changed and ready. This little problem would have to wait till later.

It wasn't the first time Clark had cooked for Lois, so she knew that he knew his way around the kitchen. If fact, she had expected it. Getting to know him over these last few months had been quite a series of revelations for her.

She was saddened when she learned that his parents weren't living. They had died in a freak car accident while he was away at college. He'd been spared the 'difficulties' that a foster home might have presented, but eighteen was still a young age to be suddenly on your own.

With his parents gone, Clark had grown restless. He had dropped out of school and, like her own Clark, had begun to travel the world. Without his parents to act as an anchor for him, Lois could only imagine how alone he must have felt. She speculated that he'd probably come into all his powers by then, but that would only serve to isolate him even more. No wonder he didn't use his powers openly.

He had pretty much resigned himself to a nomadic existence and had taken up freelance news writing as a vehicle to support himself. He became a stringer for both AP and UPI, traveling all over the world sending in stories from the hot spots all over the world. It had been a heady time, and it was were he got his initial training, but eventually he yearned to settle.

So, a little less than a year ago, he had landed in Metropolis and made a run at the Daily Planet. Perry had politely turned down the eager young man three times before his persistence finally wore the editor down and he gave Clark the job.

Lois assumed that, without parents, that Clark was desperate to find a home and family of a sorts. Like she had done so many years before, when she basically divorced herself from her own parents, he had turned to the Daily Planet to fill that role. Which brought Jenny into the picture.

Lois snuck a peek at the pouting red head. Jenny hadn't been thrilled to come home from her trip to find out that the much looked forward to 'alone time' with her boyfriend was being derailed by a visit from his work partner, that 'older' woman who took up too much of his time.

Lois could understand how Clark could have been attracted to the young woman. They were about the only people at the Planet of like age. Both were good looking, outgoing people. Lois still couldn't get over how much the woman reminded her of Jimmy. She could be his twin. Which actually made sense, since in a way she was. Still, Lois never would have thought that Jimmy would make an attractive girl... but he did.

The two of them had been together for a little over eight months, and had been living together for the last three. It had seemed like a rather fast moving relationship to Lois, but then, upon reflection, she realized that once she actually opened her eyes and saw Clark for the great guy he truly was, they'd only dated a few times before they were engaged.

Lois knew that Jenny was guarded around her. With everyone else, she had observed the woman being funny, friendly, helpful, and eager to please. But around Lois she was mistrustful, and a bit standoffish. Which, Lois had to admit, did make a small amount of sense. The young woman had to be just a bit jealous of all the time that Clark and Lois spent together. Even if she didn't believe that Clark felt anything 'romantic' towards Lois, and there was no reason that she should, she had to be envious of the fact that their partnership forced them to be together a great deal.

The two young people were clearly smitten with each other, but Lois had to wonder how deep their feelings really went. How much of the relationship was merely hormonal, and how much was actually... love? Lois held back a sigh. Well, they'd surely put that relationship to the test tonight. Lois was going to have to force Clark to acknowledge his specialness for the sake of the entire world. But would it destroy the pleasant little world he'd made for himself and Jenny? She really hoped not, but Lois had no clue how the enamored woman would deal with a revelation of this scope.

Clark silently cleared the dishes from the table. It had been a strained evening so far, with both the women in his life sharing the dinner table with him. He had to stop and wonder at that idea. He and Jenny had been together for a while now, and he knew that he loved her. It was more than just the physical. True to her youthful age, Jenny wasn't necessarily a deep thinker, nor was she overly concerned about things beyond her daily existence, but she wasn't a shallow person, nor was she stupid. Right from the start Clark had seen the goodness in her and knew that she would grow into an even more caring and compassionate woman.

Then there was Lois. They'd only been partnered together for a short time but already he could sense something between them, a connection of sorts. It wasn't anything hormonal, or romantic, really. It was, if possible, even deeper than that. It was a growing respect they had for each other as people. In that short time they had become good friends. He had come to cherish that friendship and there was no denying how much Lois had helped him become a better reporter. It was hard to imagine how he'd gotten along without Lois' support and guidance all these years. He was glad for it now, but he knew that Jenny wasn't.

His lover didn't understand the deep friendship he'd established with Lois. She felt that somehow, no matter how many times he would try and tell her differently, that it lessened the bond the two of them shared. He didn't know how to set her mind at ease about that, but he also knew that he could never give up his relationship with Lois either. It was more than a brother and sister type thing, but, perhaps less than a married couple. They were partners, and friends.

He just hoped that Jenny would be able to come to accept that. He wanted... and needed both women in his life. He could easily be considered selfish in that regard, but he wasn't ashamed of it either. It was just the way it was. It was just the way he felt.

He set the dirty dishes in the sink and turned, giving both women a searching gaze. But everything could... would change tonight. Lois had left no doubt that she knew about his 'special abilities'. He was also certain that she had known about the seriousness of the Nightfall situation before he even left for the news conference. It was going to be a wild night all around. The only thing he was sure of was that even if they all survived the asteroid threat. Nothing would be the same ever again. And, in all honesty, he couldn't say for sure he thought that would be a bad thing.

Both women had adjourned to the living room and were seated. Jenny had taken half the couch, probably thinking that Clark would take the other half. Lois had wisely picked the wingback chair opposite. Clark slowly made his way into the room and leaned against the couch, his hands resting on the back. He looked to Lois.

"Where do you think we should start?" he asked. Jenny shot him a confused look.

Lois leaned slightly forward, her forearms on her thighs. She looked up at Clark. "I suppose you should fill Jenny in on what you overheard at the press conference. It'll make it easier when you have to tell her the rest."

Clark ran his hands through his hair. How did Lois know these things? She'd only hinted at things back at the Planet, but what she'd said left little doubt that she knew about him, about his unusual powers. What astounded him almost as much was the manner in which she intimated what she knew. There was no fear, nor any veiled excitement. She seemed to take it pretty much for granted. It was almost like she expected her partner to be someone who could bend steel in his bare hands, and... fly.

Jenny's frown quickly changed to a look of concern as she saw the nervousness, and hesitation on Clark's face. "Clark? What is it?"

He stalled a few more moments, to clear his throat. "Well, I went to the EPRAD press conference today. You know, the one where they told us about the asteroid that is approaching the earth?"

Jenny nodded. "Yes, I saw it on the early evening news. They called it Nightfall. But they said there was no reason for any concern, that it was only going to come near the earth."

Clark pursed his lips. "That's what they said to all of us in the audience. But Lois warned me before I left that I should try to corner Professor Daitch to get the whole story." Clark shrugged. "I didn't think anything of it since it only made sense. Look for the best angle sort of thing." He sighed and ran his hand through his hair again. "I never got to talk to Daitch personally, but I did manage to overhear him talking to a couple of other guys."

"And?" Jenny's voice had a slight waver in it. She could see how upset Clark was.

"The asteroid isn't just coming close to the earth... it's going to collide with the planet in a little over six days days."

Jenny's hand flew to her mouth. "Omigod! What will that do?"

Lois' grim voice cut into the conversation. "It will cause untold devastation within hundreds of miles of its impact from the shock wave alone. It will raise such a cloud of dust and debris into the atmosphere as to block out the sun's rays for months, perhaps even years. It could lead to another ice age." Lois met Jenny's eyes. "It's what they call a planet killer."

Clearly aghast at what Lois had said, a tearful Jenny Olsen stood and rushed into Clark's arms. He stroked her hair as he calmed the shudders that ran through her body. Finally she pulled back a bit and turned to Lois.

"Is there nothing we can do? No escape? Get as far away from ground zero as possible?" She turned her anguished face back toward Clark. "Are we going to... die?"

"There is one hope." Lois' voice was calm. "Clark."