Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#100113 04/12/14 08:16 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I'm not sure about this chapter...it felt like it wandered all over the place. The Les Miserables concept album was real; it sold 260,000 copies. Of course it was probably a vinyl album and not a cassette, but this could be a bootleg copy. What do you think?

#100114 04/12/14 08:36 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Lois slowly falling for Clark is cute. I'm looking forward to seeing more interaction between them in the next part.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
#100115 04/13/14 08:30 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Clark's not knowing who David Letterman was made me giggle. It actually reminded me of a line from Titanic:

Ismay: Freud ... who is he? Is he a passenger?

(Clark is a much more likable character than Ismay, though.)

The reference to Les Miserables was very fitting. It makes me wonder exactly what it was that Clark did that turned him into a runaway -- if, like Valjean, he was trying to help someone when he got into trouble.

As to the Les Miserables concept album being on tape -- if I recall correctly, by 1982 (I'm guessing this is the year this story is set in) the technology existed to make cassettes of records at home. (I remember listening to tapes of my dad's favorite folk music in the car on long drives, and years later, when I went looking through his collection of records and cassettes to make my own copies, I found only one purchased cassette -- the rest were copies made at home from his record collection.)

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#100116 04/13/14 10:41 AM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I'm really enjoying seeing Lois getting to know Clark. I like how she's managed to find things to talk about, despite Clark's reticence on so many topics.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
#100117 04/13/14 12:31 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
You got Lois spot-on - very inquisitive, and when she finds a mystery, she needs to solve it! clap It makes sense to have a bit of a "wandering" feeling, since they're still young and Lois hasn't honed her interrogation skills yet.

Looking forward to the game. Somehow, I don't think the action will be contained to the field!

#100118 04/13/14 02:37 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Having grown up outside of an area where cable TV was available and only able to get 2 Canadian TV stations, I often had NO IDEA what people were talking about when it came popular media. (On the plus side, I did get the Olympics and Princess Di's wedding without all the awful American never-ending commentary. Sigh. Good times.) I bet I hardly knew who Dave Letterman was in high school either. Now, had she mentioned the guys from SnL...

He hadn’t even bothered to change his clothes. Lois had cleaned her car and taken it to be washed and she’d agonized over what to wear. It bothered her; even though she’d said it wasn’t a date, it still felt a little like one. The fact that he hadn’t even gone to an effort to dress up suggested that he really didn’t think of this as anything special.
Maybe he hadn't changed his clothes because he didn't have much to change into.

“I didn’t see you around last year,” Lois said. She swerved around a slow driver and noticed Clark wincing.

“I was…home schooled,” he said. He looked away for a moment before looking back at her.
“Besides,” he said. “I wasn’t old enough for the courier job last year, so I spent a lot of time in the library.”
Hmmmm. Were those contradictory statements, there, Clark?

I wonder if by hanging out with Clark Lois will finally learn to listen?

“Are you some kind of alien?” she asked.
I wonder what she would have done if he had said "yes".

“You were serious about the paper route?” Lois asked. He only had six hours to sleep? When did he have time for homework.
The half hour between school and his courier job?

“Because I don’t like bullies,” he said after several moments. “And like I said, I listen. I overheard some of the team members talking about things they could do to you at the game tonight and I wasn’t about to let that happen.”
Awwww. Clark cares more about Lois than college.

“You could have just told me to stay away from the game,” Lois said.
/scoffs/ Yeah. Right. That really would have worked. :rolleyes: Does she even know herself?

“It’s not like you can take on the entire football team by yourself.”

“I wouldn’t like to have to,” Clark said. He looked at her and his voice was firm. “But I’m not going to let them hurt anyone, especially you.”
I notice he's not denying her statement.

“Football is a good way for someone to get hurt,” he said.
Oh, dear. Had someone else gotten hurt, or was this about what had happened back in Kansas when he ran away?

Usually her emotions didn’t swing back and forth like this with other people. She normally formed an opinion of someone and stayed with it. Clark, though, was an enigma, and she didn’t really know what to think.
Oh, dear. She's hooked.

“I’m sorry. I’m going to Ireland next semester and I was hoping to go across to France, so I’m working on my French.” Lois said. She pushed the eject button.
I wonder what Clark thinks about Lois heading off to Ireland for a semester. Is he relieved that this body-guarding position is only temporary?

He was silent again, but Lois was surprised that she didn’t find it as uncomfortable as she had before. She found herself glancing down at his hand, which was back on his knee.

“Can I hear some more?”

She nodded.

The rest of the trip was much more enjoyable. Unfortunately, it was over all too quickly as they reached the stadium.
He let her see a little bit of his life and it helped her relax. I bet her friends weren't into listening to her 'weird French music', so the fact that Clark liked it and wanted to listen formed a bond. Plus, it helped that he wanted to assist her against the football team.

Wonder what's going to happen at the game. I hope Lois stays safe. /starts to bite fingernails in anticipation./

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#100119 04/13/14 03:30 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I like this chapter. It felt like a good getting-to-know-you session for Lois and Clark. She now knows that he's pretty smart, and hopefully he realizes that she's not just some rich girl.

Come to think, I think this is the first fic I've seen where *Clark* is the one who needs to look past preconceived notions about Lois. His comments do seem to suggest that he's labelled Lois as "rich", the same way canon Lois labelled Clark as "hayseed". It's an interesting reversal.

~•~
#100120 04/13/14 04:03 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hm. Was it a teenage driver who killed Clark's parents? I don't think we've ever heard those details.

#100121 04/13/14 05:40 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by AmyPrime:
Hm. Was it a teenage driver who killed Clark's parents? I don't think we've ever heard those details.
Ooooh. Good Point! Of course, Lois's driving would scare most people on a good day. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#100122 04/14/14 04:27 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
“Not yet…” Lois said. “You’ve heard of Les Miserables?”

“I’ve read the book,” Clark said. “It’s one of my favorites.”

“Why?” Lois asked. She loved the play too, but Clark didn’t strike her as much of a reader.

“It’s about redemption,” Clark said. “I like the idea that no matter what you’ve done you can turn your life around and become a better person.”
A lot of truth in this. As my father once told me when I was whining and complaining about how rotten my day was, "You know, you can start your day over again at any time."

Of course, this makes me wonder what Clark has done that he feels he has to gain redemption for.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard