Another excellent chapter!

He’d been separated by the press of numerous passengers and he’d stood to allow an elderly woman to sit.

It made him feel better in a way. Although he was in the worst place in his life, he hadn’t forgotten what his parents had taught him. Being kind to others didn’t cost much, and if it brought goodness to their lives, it was worth the effort.
Clark's still a decent person, in spite of his circumstances.

“It’s so much nicer here than the shelter,” Clark said. He felt embarrassed even admitting that he’d been in the shelter, but the preacher’s expression wasn’t judgmental. “It’s hard to understand how they can be so…”

Brother Wayman had asked them to stay while women from the church packed up some bones for Rufus.
“Cold?” Wayman said. “It’s a hard job, protecting people from each other and from themselves. It’s easy to get burned out.”
Very true. After a while, even the most compassionate person can get overwhelmed and start seeing only the worst.

Clark couldn’t help himself; he’d had pent up anger and he had to complain. “They kept acting like I was gay.”

“Clark,” Wayman said. “About four in ten young people in your situation are gay. Why do you think they are homeless in the first place?”
Quite true. Some parents aren't able to accept a gay child. I've known kids whose parents threw them out because they were gay.

“There are services out there to help,” Wayman said. “You don’t have to do it alone.”

“Isn’t that kind of what your sermon was about? Helping each other?” Clark asked. He smiled slightly, then shook his head. “I can’t…”

“I can’t make you do anything,” Wayman said. “But the least I can do is let you know what’s available.”

“Charlie is helping me,” Clark said stubbornly. He stared at the floor. The more official services he got involved in, the more likely someone would make a connection between the teenager in Metropolis, and the crime back in Kansas, no matter how tenuous.

However, he felt comfortable around this man; he was the first person not homeless himself not to look down on Clark.

“But ok…I’ll listen.”
It's good that Clark is meeting some people who care.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland