I haven't read The Hunger Games, but I saw the movie. I was underwhelmed by the movie, given all the hype about it. It was ok, and it was entertaining, but it just didn't even remotely live up to the story's reputation.

That said, you've set up an engaging scenario here. I like the way you've put the Smallville we're familiar with into this different setting. I also like the way you gave Clark a plausible reason not to volunteer. He can be reasonably sure that he would survive, but he has a solid motive to stay quiet because in saving one boy, he would risk his whole district.

I'm eager to see how the story plays out. Will Clark be able to fake it and keep his secret? Will he actually kill anyone, or will he try to stay hidden and wait it out? What hazards might give him away as different? Would they notice any thing unusual about him before the actual games start? Given that he is actually an alien and not a Capitol experiment, would there be any retaliation towards his parents or his district if he is outed? And will Lois be another contestant? I'm thinking he'll meet her and fall for her, and he'll try to protect her during the game, but she won't want him around.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see! smile

As a side note, it's easier to read and less confusing when you explain jargon from the story and not assume that your readers are familiar with The Hunger Games. Most of it you did a good job with explaining, but I was confused about the extra food rations for the teenagers. I was able to figure out what you probably meant, but it took a bit to puzzle it out.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)