Thank you all for such favourable comments. :-) And an especial thanks to Ann for her detailed analysis -- to be honest, I had not consciously tried to do half of what you mentioned; I just thought "write fairy-tale style" and out came the story.

I'm glad you were able to get H.G. Wells from the minimal description; I had hoped that who it was would be obvious to other FoLCs, but I wasn't sure. I must admit that that was one reason for that first guess being "Herbert" -- to provide an extra hint, just in case. (I had actually briefly considered using Mike from STWTTWNK, since he is more like a fairy tale character; but I must admit I've never particularly liked him.)

I was also torn about whether the correct guess should have been Kalelclarkkent or Clarklestiltskin. The former is more LNC-ish while sounding at least somewhat similar to Rumplestiltsken, the latter closer to the original. I could still change that prior to having the story archived. Do you of you have strong feelings either way? if so, I'd love to hear them.

cheers,
Lynn