Wow.

Not only does Superman have limits, Clark does too.

I understand why Lois would react as she did when Clark revealed the truth. She's hurt, she's torn, she's anchorless in a sea of loss. And she saw Clark as her touchstone to normalcy, her link to reality.

But he tore that away from her. He destroyed the myth of the invulnerable Superman, the hero who grieves over lost children and who cares deeply for his adopted world. He pulled back the curtain and let her see the man behind it, a man who is hurting almost as much as she is.

And she destroyed him.

He could have taken it if she'd asked him to leave while she thought about the whole situation. He could have accepted a temporary separation from her to let her adjust and decide what she wanted to do. But she picked up a spiked mace and clubbed his heart almost to death with those words. There's no way Clark would ever deliberately harm Lois, and in time she'll admit it.

But it may be too late for them by that time. She's pushed him farther away from him in this story than I've ever seen any Lois do. And that's a chasm that they may not be able to bridge, no matter how much she might really love him.

Franklin Hodge - bad guy, good guy, or something else altogether? I hope Lois finds out. I hope that this interview becomes a stepping stone for her to find her way back. I hope she dazzles Perry with the story and I really hope she gives Jonathan a call. She'll need someone to celebrate her triumph with, and right now she also needs a father figure. Perry's too close to her and too involved with the newspaper to really take on that role, although he's helping her a lot now, but she needs to talk to someone who understands her heart and who also knows "The Secret." Here's hoping!

Sarah is great for Lois. (Great nickname!) She's the older sister/mother/close friend/confidant that Lois has lacked for most of her life. And Lois may just tell Sarah why Clark had to leave the funeral. If she does, it might be the best thing for all concerned. She can play peacemaker between them and be Lois' advocate to Clark.

Of course, you might go in a totally different direction, and since it's your story you go right ahead. Next part, please.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing