Oh, wow, that was really *great* FH! Kudos to you and to having Sarah come over and get through to Lois. And Clark's touch with the eulogy was just right.

My life has been funeral centric for about 6 months and everything rang true. One idea is to have Clark read the eulogy for Lois, even though he had never met her parents. It gives the audience distance too. This happened in March when a friend suddenly died at her annual check up from a heart attack. You never saw a healthier person in your life and she'd just gone skiing the month before. Her son-in-law read the eulogy in her daughter's words. Much like what you had Clark write.

It's painful, but we all have to do it. My mother's funeral had been planned (and changed) for 9 years (!), yet when the day came, it was still very traumatic. My hubby graciously did all the long distance phoning of friends and relatives. My mother was 96, so most of her friends had passed, but those on her Christmas list got the folder from the funeral home and a note from us.

You've probably thought of this since you sound experienced, but the next big bugaboo is their estate and Lois is the executor. This is not simple and trivial in the US and varies by state. Maybe Martha could help in this area, since she and Jonathan have inevitably thought of this. (You do when you have children of any age.)

Anyway, applause to you for dealing with a tough subject realistically and sympathetically.
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis