I admire the patience Clark is showing towards Lois. And I admire Lois's perseverance. She knows that the way she is isn't "normal" for a healthy young wife, and she's taking steps towards that "normalcy" one baby foot at a time.

But post traumatic stress disorder isn't something that people can just "get over" on their own. Unless she has some real therapy which both uncovers (which she has done some of already) and resolves (which she hasn't done yet) the issues which are oppressing her, she's not going to be the kind of woman she wants to be. She'll end up building defense and coping mechanisms to "work around" her problems instead of solving them. It's the same thing addicts do. They medicate themselves to mask the pain so they can function, but it's a temporary solution at best and an ineffective one in the long run. Even though Lois hasn't turned to drugs or alcohol or become a sex addict (which other young women in her situation have done), she's still not resolving the underlying issues. She's just pushing them off to the side.

I think we should see one or two very meaningful conversations with Alice, especially since that estimable lady has a degree in psychology. Even if she's not a trained therapist, she can help Lois deal with her issues instead of learning to avoid them.

And we could see some real progress, like Lois going into the bathroom for a hair brush while Clark is showering. Or if she undresses down to her undies before cocooning herself in Clark's poncho. Or if she hides Clark's sleep shorts and makes him hunt for them while she ogles him. Or maybe if she gives him a soft pat on the rear end as she passes him as he's making dinner.

She can't force herself to be intimate, of course. And she can't allow Clark to force her, else that will become just another coping mechanism. Clark is taking the right path with her, and it will eventually pay off if and when she learns to trust him intimately. I only hope she gets the help she needs to really face her deep-seated issues and resolve them once and for all.

And I hope it happens soon, because we're running short of parts left to post!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing