Carol, I'm so sorry to hear about your job.

I have no idea if this will make you feel the least bit better, but I was suddenly reminded about a book I read about Johannes Kepler (1571-1630). Kepler was a giant of science who described how celestial bodies orbit one another:

[Linked Image]

But Kepler's private life was hard, and more because of the times than because of his own shortcomings. He lived at a time when Protestatism and Catholicism were fighting for dominance in Central Europe, and Protestantism wanted to use the new astronomical science as a weapon against the Pope, whereas Catholicism regarded astronomy as a dangerous herecy that might be punishable by death. The really big problem for Kepler was that he couldn't just stay in a Protestant area and be protected there, because the lords and governors of various regions were prone to change their religious affiliation at a moment's notice. Kepler could go to bed as the governor's friend at night and wake up as his enemy in the morning. Therefore he was like a refugee much of his life, seeking out new places to live, new jobs that would make it possible for him to provide for his family. His mother, who lived in a mostly Protestant area, supported herself by selling "magic" potions, and Kepler repeatedly had to come to her help to save her from being burnt at the stake as a witch. The book I read ended when Kepler, travelling and look for employment as always, entered an inn in Regensburg on his way to a possible new protector. It was a cold and rainy night, November 15, 1630. The book ended there, enigmatically. But we know from history that Kepler died that night. The book was a moving tribute to a person who was striving and working so hard and overcoming all sorts of difficulties all his life.

I loved Lois's Fairy Princess fairy tale. I have to say that if she wrote it when she was only eight, then I can really understand that writing would become her profession later on. Apart from that, though, the story was extremely sad. Imagine that Lois and Lucy got their Fairy Princes and were married to them for most of their lives, but they only learnt to trust them when they themselves were almost 700 years old, and only a little more than 25 years before they both died. That is incredibly sad to contemplate. (You have to wonder, of course, if Lois would have a good concept of time when she wrote this.)

I'm glad that Lois was able to answer some of Clark's question about her childhood. She is beginning to trust him more and more, but, as Clark noted, she is still so jumpy.

And Clark and Lois are gong to Greece! That sounds lovely.

[Linked Image]

"We can visit the ruins of ancient Greek society, find little authentic Greek restaurants in out of the way places and write about them. It's probably the wrong time of year for skiing, but we could go mountain hiking or camping in the Greek mountains..."

"Camping? Really?"

"What? You don't want to go camping?" Clark was incredulous.

"No. If there's no electricity or running water and you have to pee outside, it's not my idea of fun."
I agree! I want a nice bed and a bathroom!

"Are Greek beaches topless?" Lois whispered as quietly as she could.

"I have no idea. Maybe. Maybe not. But even if they are, you wouldn't have to..."

"Well, I know that, but..." She glanced Clark's direction, grateful that he appeared to be completely engrossed in conversation with Jimmy.

"You don't want Clark looking?"

"Something like that."
Poor Lois. But she should trust Clark.

"Lois, he's had eyes only for you since he was *fourteen*. He's not going to lie on the beach staring at women. I promise you that."
Listen to your sister, Lois.

Are Call-me-Dan Scardino and Mayson both working in retail stores? Wow. Well, personally, I think I'd like it if Mayson went on to be attorney after all. Then again, in the show she was killed on her job, so maybe it would be better for her to work at Streets Formal Wear.

I'm looking forward to seeing Lois and Clark in Greece, Carol!

Ann