Wonderful. Clark was such a magnificent Superman in this story.

“Get away from the window,” Anita said. “We're moving to a safe place.”

“But it's Superman out there,” Jacob said, his eyes wide and shining. He was unnaturally thin and bald and it had been a long time since Anita had seen any expression on his face other than pain and sadness.
I can just see the little boy, who is obviously suffering from cancer.

Anita's hands were shaking, although she tried to calm herself. It wouldn't do to let Jacob see that she was afraid. Children took their cues from adults, and as long as she didn't show fear, he would be all right.

She was surprised to feel his tiny hand patting her on the arm.

“It'll be all right,” he said into her ear. “Superman will save us.”
That's just wonderful. Anita doesn't believe in Superman, but Jacob does. He may have believed in Superman, in his own way, for much of the time when he has been able to believe in anything at all. And therefore it is Jacob who can comfort Anita, not the other way round.

Jacob waved his tiny hand, and the man turned toward him.

“Can you heal me?” he asked.

A stricken look came over the man's face, and he glanced at Anita. She shrugged slight. Jacob's case could go wither way.

“I wish I could,” he said. He glanced at Jacob for a moment and then said, “It's a problem in your bones, isn't it.”

The boy nodded.

“I'm not a doctor,” the man said. “But it looks like the bad cells in your body aren't doing so well. That's a good thing.”

“The medicine makes me feel sick,” the boy said.

“I'd say you have a pretty good chance.” The man smiled sadly. “If you do what your doctors tell you.”

“That's what everybody says,” Jacob said.
This is just so great, the way Clark talks to the little boy. He is a magnificent Superman.

“Can I go flying with you?”

The man smiled. “Maybe later, when you are feeling a little stronger. No promises though…I have a lot of people to save tonight. If I get a chance to come back and see you I will. What's your name?”

“Jacob Richardson,” the boy said.

In the reflected light of the lantern, Jacob's face almost seemed to glow.
Clark didn't let Jacob down, that's for sure.

There was a strange sense of elation that came with mastering the elemental forces of nature. Since Clark had been young, nothing physical had ever been a challenge for him. His only real challenges had been interpersonal, where his abilities had been of no use.

But against the power of the storm he actually had to make an effort. There was nothing he could grab hold of with the wind, and even though he was gaining experience the tornadoes could be unpredictable at best. The patterns he'd seen before had proven to be only partially reliable.

For the first time he felt the thrill of whatever his body used in place of adrenaline. It was exciting to be able to finally let loose, and if the people he saved didn't exactly cheer, he could at least understand their stunned silences.
Here, too, Clark is being such a splendid Superman.

But he's being sued because he directed tornadoes away from people and into the path of property. And he couldn't save the people of New Hartford.

Clark came up floating. A rescuer ran up, apparently to castigate him for touching the victim. The man took one look at the body in Clark's arms and sighed.

A small arm hung limply in Clark's, the only part of the body visible from this angle. The expression on his face reminded Lois a little of the expressions she'd seen on the faces of firefighters on 9/11.

Someone stepped forward and a light flashed in his eyes. Clark turned away stiffly and marched toward the door of the ambulance.

This was the picture the world was going to see when they opened their papers in the morning, a picture of a hero who looked as though he was fighting off tears.

Clark's lips tightened and he stepped forward quickly, depositing his armload into the ambulance to waiting hands. The camera crew rushed forward, but Clark deliberately moved one door to block the view of the camera, and then he closed both doors solidly.
Even in tragedy, Clark is a fantastic Superman.

“This isn't the time,” Clark said sharply. “You should give these people a little privacy.”

The reporter stared at Clark for a moment, as though he didn't understand the concept. He leaned forward and said, “So you aren't doing this out of a need for fame and glory? Who are you really and how are you doing this?”

“I'm doing the best I can,” Clark said grimly. His expression was tight and closed. “Unfortunately, today that wasn't good enough.”
Privacy? What's that to a reporter?

Staring at his drawn expression on the television screen, Lois felt as though her chest was actually aching. She wanted to hold and comfort him, and it took her a moment to realize that these feelings were something more intense that what she'd feel for just anyone.

He was getting under her skin, making her feel things she hadn't felt in a long time. It was just a reminder of how emotionally dangerous he could be.

Lois closed her eyes for a moment and sighed. What was she going to do if he did find a way back through the rifts, if she was separated from him forever?

She wasn't sure she wanted to know.
That's a superb ending, too. Lois finally acknowledges to herself that she wants to be with Clark.

What a great story this is!

Ann