I haven't read the other feedback, yet but I wanted to say that I was proud of Lois. "Fixing" Jory's hearing may or may not solve any problems. Because Jory is profoudly, uncorrectably deaf it may not apply to him as much, however it is never a surgery which should be taken lightly. For the degree of risk involved (surgeons are working very close to the brain), there is a low success rate. They take the ear which has the highest rate of hearing to boost their chances of success; however, if the operation is not a success the hearing is destroyed in that ear. On the other hand, Jory seems to be functioning quite well with a language that Clark won't even acknowledge. Compound that with the little detail that physicians are 1) not sure if it will grant hearing and 2) unsure if it will solve his pain or his seizures and it doesn't seem like such a hotshot idea after all. Bah! (Sorry if I let my bias show.)

I have to say that I'm not angry with Clark. His normal habit of dealing with painful or scary situations is to run away emotionally. Unfortunately it works for him. Of course, it works for him only; it hurts the people around him terribly. Still, it's hard to get angry with a person who is doing what has always worked well for them in the past.

I don't see this Clark as being in love with Lois. It's difficult to love someone without seeing past the end of yourself.

And this Lois *has* bullied her way into Clark's life. She says he's ungrateful but she has never done anything because he asked her to. She volunteers. If he should say no, she finds a way to get it done anyway. Part of the reason he survives so well as a jerk is because she gives him all the tools he needs to flourish as a jerk. She cleans up his messes like a co-dependant cleans up after an alcoholic.

Let me be straight that I don't think Lois would be doing too much for Clark if the situation were different. If there was a deep level of commitment (i.e. marriage) it wouldn't be inappropriate. If there was a shared level of responsibility it wouldn't be inappropriate.

Both Lois and Clark bear a level of responsibility for hurting Jory's heart. Both of the adults know that Lois is in a temporary position in Jory's life. Both of them know that she isn't Jory's mother. It's irresponsable of Lois to assume a role that isn't her own. It's irresponsable of Clark to delegate love and daily care. Lois needs to back off and let Clark take responsibility for his own actions. Clark needs to grow up. For Jory's sake, it needs to happen soon.

Elisabeth