quote:
Her feet propped on her desk and a half-eaten bag of holiday M&Ms in her lap, Lois Lane cast yet another plaintive look at the clock.
-------------------
ROFL! That starts well. Is she making a big 'S' on her desk with those?
Heh! I've got to start my FDK with Lara's comment! (We all know what she and Sue like to do with their M&Ms!) laugh

Sue and Lara\'s M&Ms

Lois hadn't always had such a negative attitude toward Christmas. She loved it when she was nine, and Santa brought her and Lucy a dollhouse. She loved it when she was ten, the year her father hired a horse-drawn sleigh to take them through snowy Centennial Park. She loved it when she eleven, and she donned angel wings to sing the solo in the school Christmas pageant.

And she hated it when she was twelve. When her father left, her mother drank, and she had to spend her life savings to buy a tree so she wouldn't have to see her little sister cry.

What a difference a year made.
That's a tear-jerker. I love how you write it.

“Clark, you're not fooling anyone.”

He snuck a look at his watch before replying. “I'm fine.”

Martha smiled. “How many minutes until midnight in Metropolis?”

“Oh, Mom, I don't …” his voice trailed off and he shrugged. “26 now.”

“Go home, Clark.”
Gotta love Martha!!! <hugs Martha> grumble

The logic of some farmboys. Go figure.

&#8220;Do you want to regret not seeing her tonight?&#8221;

He sat there in silence, mulling it over the question to which he already knew the answer. Could he really fly back to Metropolis and see Lois?

After several long moments, he pushed back his chair and came around the table to kiss his mother's cheek. &#8220;Happy New Year, Mom. Will you tell Dad I said goodbye?&#8221;
I gotta say this for Clark. He knows when to listen to his mom. laugh

Holding Lois securely in his arms, Clark slowed in the air above Hobbs Bay just as the first burst of red sparkles illuminated the sky. &#8220;Good, we made it.&#8221;

Lois looked impressed. &#8220;Wow, what a view.&#8221;

And she meant it. She had never seen fireworks below her.
So I wish that he had told her already, but... it might have spoilt their New Year's Eve. And it would have been a pity to miss this. The view must have been spectacular.

He shrugged. &#8220;There's something about New Year's &#8230; I don't know &#8230; it's a clean slate. A new beginning.&#8221;
So what are you going to do with your clean slate, Clark?

They stayed that way for several moments, watching the fireworks, and it wasn't until Clark felt Lois rest her head against his chest and sigh contentedly that he snapped back to reality. This was exactly what he didn't want, and what he wanted more than anything, all at the same time.
Stupid boy.

As a burst of silver sparkles illuminated the bay, she softly murmured, &#8220;How beautiful.&#8221;

&#8220;It is,&#8221; he agreed softly, but he wasn't looking at the fireworks.
grumble

It was shortly after 12:45 when Clark returned home from his nightly patrol. The city had fallen quiet soon after the midnight revelry ended, but he knew sleep wouldn't come easily.

Not tonight. Not with Lois on his mind.

The cool scent of cucumber oil continued to permeate his senses, and when he closed his eyes, he could feel her lips pressing against his.

But that wasn't even what had gotten to him so badly.

Her soft words repeated in his mind over and over again. &#8220;I miss him.&#8221;

Lois had gone flying with Superman &#8211; and said she missed Clark.

And as a result, he had nearly dropped her in shock. She missed him.

She missed Clark. Not that she'd ever admit it to him.
Martha is right, Clark. You do need to stop thinking of yourself as two people.

&#8220;It's me &#8230; Lois.&#8221; He smiled at that. &#8220;I &#8230; I know you're in Smallville and you won't even be back until tomorrow, but &#8230; I &#8230; I wanted to call and wish you Happy New Year. It counts since it's only &#8230;&#8221; She paused, undoubtedly to look at her watch. &#8220;It's only about twenty after midnight. &#8230; Anyway, I hope you had a good time with your family, and I, uh &#8230;&#8221; He heard her take a deep breath. &#8220;I miss you, Clark&#8230;&#8221; She paused again. &#8220;I"ll probably see you before you even hear this, so &#8230; bye.&#8221;

He stood there, barely breathing.

She had said it. To him. Clark.

A slow smile crossed his face.

Possibilities, indeed.
Right. You remember what I told you, boy? Tomorrow you go to her and tell her that you are both Clark and Superman. Now you've not only managed to make her believe that you are two different persons, but you have also managed to make her choose the aspect of you that you want her to choose. But you can't build your relationship with her on a lie.

Oh, wow. This boy so needs to turn over a new leaf.

Sorry about my grumbling, Jenn. I, too, loved when Clark took Lois flying. Really.

Ann