Thanks for another fantastic chapter, Terry!

I loved it, through and through, especially how you're slowly, subtly showing us more of Jack Reisman:
He sighed. “I am weary. This trial a no-win situation.”

“You could’ve given it to your chief assistant.”

He shook his head. “Dennis would’ve done his best and lost, and I might’ve had to fire him when he was done because of the political pressure. This way, the public takes their anger out on me.” He managed a wan smile. “Maybe you and your next boss will get along half as well as we do.”
This passage brilliantly illustrates the politics behind the trial, Reisman's resolve to see the case through — and that he's resigned himself to accept that he'll probably lose his job when it's all over.

I also loved his interaction with Connie, especially at the end:
He spun and stalked to the cab stand, trying to convince himself that he didn’t dare ease up on this case. And he also tried to convince himself that his parting shot to Connie hadn’t been personal, hadn’t been thrown because he felt insulted by Connie’s last teasing remark.

And if he somehow managed to win, what then?

As the cab door slammed shut and he gave his home address to the driver, he imagined a city without Superman in it.

The thought gave him no pleasure.
Pitch-perfect writing and characterization here, Terry. And the rest of the chapter is no exception! The scene between Lois and Ron — and Clark's misinterpretation of the situation — was heart-wrenching.

Thanks again for sharing this incredible story with us on the boards. I'm looking forward to the next part!

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien