Yes, I know, that's a dangerous question to pose, especially given my current work, but it's something I've asked before but never received an answer. I know that there are members who don't want to read about anyone's death. I also know that there are members who will read a well-written deathfic if the circumstances justify the death and if the author treats the character's death with the respect it deserves.

(That last can vary, of course. Luthor's suicide has been described as a swan dive to the sidewalk, turning himself into a street pizza, or even a good start. Respectful? Depends on one's perspective, I suppose.)

Let me pose my own definition, then each of you who wish to do so can chime in with whatever degree of agreement or disagreement you wish.

A deathfic is a story where a character who you don't want to die does die, irrespective of the reason or justification.

If this is accurate, then the classification of "deathfic" becomes very subjective. Do we want to restrict this classification to any story where any character dies? Where a death, whether on-screen or off-screen, is a part of the story? Or is it one where Lois or Clark dies, whether at the end of a long, full life or not? Does a character death (any story character) which is foreshadowed or happens according to canon make a tale a deathfic (i.e., Luthor, Max Menken, Spencer Spencer, etc)?

I'm not trying to start a war or even a mild argument over this question, nor am I trying to box anyone in. I really would like to know what FoLCs think about this. It would help me in my future fic writing, and maybe it would be a good thing for each of us to solidify our own opinions on this matter.

I'm eager to read some other opinions. Please don't be shy about responding, but let's try to keep it civil without naming names or casting aspersions.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing