Crazy_babe, just to let you know that I am from Singapore (though not in Singapore right now), so I am aware of the details of the case that has got Australians talking about the death penalty recently.

It probably comes as no surprise to you that I support the stance that my government has taken regarding this case. :p I see no problems with the death penalty for heinous crimes like murder and drug trafficking. That is on the assumption that the person in question is guilty of those crimes. And as for the issue of clemency, courts can allow for clemency, but that should not mean that all appeals should be entertained. That’s why it’s an “appeal”.

But it’s a little difficult to discuss about the merits and demerits of the death penalty like this. If you believe the death penalty is morally wrong under all circumstances, there’s nothing to talk about. You are not likely to convince people who think that the death penalty is an acceptable sentence, and vice versa.

FoLCs who are interested in knowing a little more about the Australian that Singapore hanged last week for drug trafficking please read this .

I have many questions here, but I’m assuming you are not fundamentally opposed to the death penalty if you are commenting specifically on any of the questions I do have. If you are opposed to the death penalty, my questions are irrelevant. :p

If the person’s guilt is not in question (the person was caught with almost 400g of heroin and he confessed to smuggling all these narcotics knowingly) and according to the laws of my country, mere possession of more than 15 g of heroin is deemed as prima facie evidence of trafficking and carries a mandatory death penalty, is there still grounds for an appeal?

Another question that may be a little harder to answer: is the sentence too harsh? How much drugs a person can possess for that amount to be considered to be for personal consumption and not drug trafficking is arbitrary. In Singapore, the amounts are very very low. Possesion of 15g of heroin, 30 g for morphine or 500g (about 1 pound) of marijuana guarantees the possessor the death penalty. How low is too low? Where do you draw the line between personal consumption and trafficking?

What crimes are serious enough to warrant the death penalty? Murder and drug trafficking are obvious ones. What about kidnapping? Use of fire-arms in a robbery in a country where guns are banned, even when no shots are fired? Perjury resulting in the execution of an innocent person? These are all capital offences in Singapore, though the death penalty may not be mandatory.

I'm interested to hear what you all think.

twins
metwin1