Actually, Selinde, I just got this problem last night when I tried to watch the Smallville episodes I'd downloaded. There are three solutions:

1.) If you have a DVD-Rom drive, instead of playing your episodes in Windows Media Player (or whatever other media player you use), play them in the program you use to watch DVDs. I use PowerDVD.

2.) Use a program like GSpot to find out exactly WHICH codecs (bits of programs that help Windows Media Player decode either the audio or the video in a file) are missing, then download that/those codec(s) from the internet--you can basically just type the name of the codec in Google, and you'll find a good place to download. Once it's downloaded, install the codec, and you should be able to watch your episodes in .avi format.

3.) Re-rip the episodes in a different format, which your player can read.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place