I'm currently learning two other languages and I find it hard enough to learn the base language let alone learning slang terms on top of that. It got me to thinking that I'm glad I don't have to learn ESL and then Aussie slang on top of that. We abbreviate just about everything, it made me laugh thinking about it, I never really realised how difficult it would be for an ESL person. Here's some examples:
barbeque = barbie
breakfast = breakie
afternoon = arvo
football = footy
U-turn - 'u'ie
cup of tea = cuppa...

Probably the most abbreviated are names and names of places, eg:
Tasmainia = Tassie
Subiaco = Subi
Garden City = Garbo
Cotesloe = Cot
Rockingham = Rocko...

It's probably pretty common around the world (?) but I have been told we in Australia take it a step further.

Another thing I wanted to add to the conversation is that learning another language is not compulsory at school in Australia, and it's not a popular extra subject to take at school. Looking back to when I was in school and having since travelled a fair bit I've realised that it is pretty common for people around the world to know more than one language and they usually get taught from a young age. I wish we had that here in Australia and learning another languauge was common at school. I guess being islated down here on our "island" the need to know other languages is not that important. frown

Avatar: Michael Clarke, awesome Aussie cricket player