Pam, I am so sorry for your loss. frown

Originally posted by stephnachia:
I always heard that the change in his skin color was due to a rare skin disease--I don't think it's possible to change skin color through plastic surgery.
Darcy, you're right. He had white blotches that showed up on his skin, a disorder known as Vitiligo . Now I don't think ALL his skin turned white because of this disorder. I'm pretty sure that he did have some sort of skin treatments to lighten his skin so the blotches were not as obvious but it's been awhile since I read this so I'm not 100% sure.
My two cents in this...

yes, everyone thought he was a cute kid, but race had nothing to do with it. Like Steph said, MJ suffered from Vitiligo, which destroys skin pigmentation in blotches over the body. He used pancake makeup to even it out (which is part of why he looked so freaky sometimes). It wasn't because he was trying to be white. He even said on numerous occasions that he was very proud of his African-American heritage, and "proud to be a Black American."

His plethora of plastic surgeries were a result of his lack of self-confidence in his appearance, due to the abuse from his father. It's really sad to think about.

It's also sad that because of all his legal scandals, very few people remember how much of a humanitarian he was, and all the things he did for charity and to help those in need before he lost everything. frown

In any case, his music was hugely influential, and the world will certainly miss his musical brilliance.

Thanks to Cat for my rockin' avatar!
++++
(About Lois & Clark)
Perry: Son, you just hit the bulls eye. It's like we're supporting characters in some TV show and it's only about them.
Jimmy: Yeah! It's like all we do is advance their plots.
Perry: To tell you the truth, I'm sick of it.
Jimmy: Man, me too!