Terry,

Andrew Jackson was the one who signed the Indian Removal Act of 1830 and began the process of moving the Indian tribes to what is now Oklahoma. It was a process that took many years, but it was started in 1831 during his presidency. The Cherokee were the last to be removed in 1838.

As for George Washington, I agree with you somewhat. Washington was a trailblazer, setting many of the standards future presidents would follow, such as the two term voluntary limit, the simple title of Mr. President, and the lack of pomp and circumstance normally reserved for royalty. Still, as a manager, which is much of what a president does, he allowed far too much infighting and accumulation of personal power by unelected people under him. It was also under him where the Supreme Court obtained much of its power that it has today, a power not necessarily given to the court by the Constitution. Those issues, to me, knock him down a few notches. I'm not putting him at the bottom of list by any means, but #2 is not where I'd place him. That, of course, is just IMO.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin